This is Drum Corps Today, Deal With It.....

Lots of people here do know better. I am willing to evolve with drum corps--problem is people keep hiding behind the word evolve to THEIR own end. You can call it evolution but it's really a non-sequitur, isn't it? I am tired of people introducing their own egos into the DC game and calling it evolution. It's maddening. Scenario--person X makes twirly thing--goes to DCI to sell twirly thing but it's not rule worthy---so they change the rules----every ####### year. Now person X makes money and calls it art.

I crap on your art.

This.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've been on here for a while now keeping up with the big topics but not posting much at all. I had said that I didn't want to get involved. Well now I can't help but add my opinion on the state of drum corps.

I don't claim to be an expert in any way, shape or form, but I'd like to think that I have a little clue of what goes into putting together a show from my own teaching and designer experience. I'm no where near the level of those at the top of the activity right now. Most importantly, I'm a fan. Yes, drum corps has changed over the years. While I like some of the changes, I did not like some others. Some of the changes that I don't like grew on me after I gave it a chance.

Here's my humble opinion on some of the complaints I see on here:

"Bb Flat instruments aren't as good cause they aren't as loud as G horns..."

-First of all, it's not just Bb horns, there are F and C horns as well. While you are able to project more on G horns, they are hard to keep in tune. Give me a well balanced, in tune horn line with a full sound over a loud but with suspect tone quality line any day.

"Shows are no longer musically based, but are now visually driven, and that's what the judges want..."

"I don't want art, I want drum corps!"

-The current judges system gives us a 50-50 split musically to visually, precisely what it should be. The Cavaliers figured out in the early 2000s how to write total productions rather than music with visual accompaniment. This had been evolving with other corps throughout the 90s, but they set the standard. It is not visually driven or musically driven, it is a total artistic production. This was not decided on by the judges. It was presented to the judges by innovative designers, and the judges liked it. Judges don't push the activity, designers do. Also, music is art, drill design is art, flag and costume design is art, dance is art, all of which are in drum corps. Therefore, drum corps is art! Any good designer will tell you that they consider themselves an artist, as they should.

"Electronics and narration do not belong in drum corps..."

-Ok, I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of this, but some of it has grown on me. It really depends on how it's used. For example, 05 Cadets grew on me, did not like 06, loved 07, did not like 08 (except for the brilliant ending drill sequence!), very much enjoy 09 except for the sound samples. But it is here now and I have accepted that. Like I said, it depends on how it's used. Amplification of the pit allows pit members to play with proper technique and still be heard, synths are ok as long as it blends well, but I'm not a fan of prerecord sound samples.

"Drum corps is not band, the band designers should stay out..."

-First of all the majority of drum corps designers are also the top marching band designers! And if you've ever seen BOA, you may have notice that those show designs are actually more innovative and a few years ahead of what drum corps show design is.

"Everyone looks and sounds the same..."

-While this did seem to happen for a while with the middle tier corps, I believe the top half of World Class still has their own identity and unique show design style.

"They don't entertain me, so they aren't good"

-You not liking it does not make it bad. I am not a fan of some composers, but that does not mean that they aren't some of the best at what they do. Lots of people don't like what they don't understand. Example, I did not like this year's BD show when I first saw it but understood why it is doing so well. After my second viewing, I understand it better and was actually entertained by it.

So yeah, the activity has changed. It is an art form and is no longer just playing higher, faster, and louder. If that's what you are in to, then go watch DCA. DCA is a great forum for that type of drum corps. The activity also changed in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. This is no different.

We have to understand that these are the best designers in the world. Lots of people on here think they know better. There is a reason why these designers are where they are and the rest of us are where we are. Basically either evolve as a fan along with the activity or stop watching, but please stop complaining.

lol whatever.

J.J. Pipitone deserves to be fired. He should never judge again under any circumstances. To take a corps that was in the top 3 in percussion and then change the entire placement single handed is an outrage. These judges and DCI need to know that the fans don't appreciate such dishonestly!!!!

Congradulations to the BD and CC for a great season. The Cadets were outstanding tonight and one judged denied them of 2nd place! Shame on DCI for allowing this to happen!

J.J. Pipitone deserves to be fired. He should never judge again under any circumstances. To take a corps that was in the top 3 in percussion and then change the entire placement single handed is an outrage. These judges and DCI need to know that the fans don't appreciate such dishonestly!!!!

Congradulations to the BD and CC for a great season. The Cadets were outstanding tonight and one judged denied them of 2nd place! Shame on DCI for allowing this to happen!

How many threads are you going to post this in?

How many threads are you going to post this in?

Well I tried to start a new topic but it was deleted! The Cadets were ripped off tonight! Someone needs to hold this judge accountable!

I assumed upon reading the thread's name that I would be reading another ignorant diatribe. Boy, was I wrong. Can't disagree with any of this. I still get just as much of a thrill from shows now as what I did 20 years ago.

In fact seeing that Phantom's great '09 show came in NINTH place is only proof to me that the quality is improving. Compare that 9th place show to 1986 Sky Ryders (on of my beloved former corps) Its not even close. As long as enough people are buying these $100 tickets, I say keep it up exactly how you're doing it.

Were you at the show, or did you see the performances to compare the percussion lines and state " the Cadets were outstanding tonight " the same way we see INT ?