Chances of making top 10 World Class Corps

Thank you everyone for the advice, I really do appreciate it. I feel a little more confident about auditioning this fall/winter. I'm definitely going to work my butt off to learn all my music and I'm joining a gym in a couple weeks in order to build up that upper body. :tongue:

One thing, I've gotten mixed responses about Bari versus Euph. With weight of the instrument aside, what would be better for a trombone player to play? I know Bari is closer in Bore and Mouthpiece size, so one might argue that is a good option, but it has a lot more resistance. Is Euph more free-blowing (closer resembling a trombone) since it's a bigger instrument? And in exchange, the mouthpiece size isnt usually that much bigger? Or does it just come down to me trying both to see what fits me better so that when I make that dreaded switch back to trombone, it's not too horrible.

Just curious to hear your thoughts...

Thanks again for the advice, it's greatly appreciated!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my friend's roommate this coming year is a trumpet performance major in oregon and is marching his first year EVER for SCV in the trumpet line. Also, The lead conductor for Phantom Regiment this year is only a second year drum corps member............his first year was last year as back field conductor for phantom! and we all know how large of a role that ended up being in a show!!!

my only other advice would be, if you DON'T make the corps you are trying out for, don't just quit. Go somewhere else!!! Even if it's open class. Imo, no one is too good for any corps especially when its their first year. I say this because I know people who've tried out for big corps, not made it and said "that's gay! i should have made it!" and just quit trying out. I also know people who marched open class or low placing world class corps for many years before FINALLY making a big name corps. I had an awesome experience with my one summer in an open class corps and don't regret doing it even though I really want to do world class.

Basically, just go for it! And if it doesn't work out, there will still be LOTS of other places to march up until July!!!

Thank you everyone for the advice, I really do appreciate it. I feel a little more confident about auditioning this fall/winter. I'm definitely going to work my butt off to learn all my music and I'm joining a gym in a couple weeks in order to build up that upper body. :tongue:

One thing, I've gotten mixed responses about Bari versus Euph. With weight of the instrument aside, what would be better for a trombone player to play? I know Bari is closer in Bore and Mouthpiece size, so one might argue that is a good option, but it has a lot more resistance. Is Euph more free-blowing (closer resembling a trombone) since it's a bigger instrument? And in exchange, the mouthpiece size isnt usually that much bigger? Or does it just come down to me trying both to see what fits me better so that when I make that dreaded switch back to trombone, it's not too horrible.

Just curious to hear your thoughts...

Thanks again for the advice, it's greatly appreciated!

Uh, for the most part, you will have to get your chops back in shape for trombone when you get back. AFAIK, euph and baritone mostly use the same mouthpiece depending on the corps.... if not, euph obviously will have a larger cup and/or rim size. IF that's the case, then baritone... maybe.... but you will again, have to work your chops up any way when you get back

You didn't mention where you live. Sometimes geography can be a factor. The Troopers sound like a good bet because I think they're going to have 26 age outs this year - the most ever - but I don't know what sections they're in. Also, due to their success this year they'll probably have a high retention rate and strong recruitment, but that's just my guess. Anyway, good luck on whatever corps you decide to go for. :tongue:

I'm not the bulkiest guy out there but I loved marching Euph. No ones arms are up to it from the get go you just learn to deal with it over time not to mention it's more apparent when not on the move i.e. horn arc.

I like that you say you learn to deal with it rather than it's easy after a while. So true. It's never an easy horn to hold, but I still love it.

More on topic: Audition for what ever corps you want. If you don't make it, don't worry, try somewhere else. But whatever you do, if you want to march corps, march. Too many people audition for a top 3 corps and if they don't make it they stay home. I guarantee you will not regret your experience even if you are in last place all summer.

1. You should audition where you want to march. You can go to a couple different audition camps in the fall too. Different corps have different personalities that are visible from the outside, but they also have different personalities on the inside.

2. Joining a gym is good for overall body shape. You should also start running (if you haven't).

3. Nothing builds baritone/euph holding muscles like holding a baritone/euph.

4. Start figuring out the money (if this will be an issue) now.

Thanks, I'm going to start figuring out who I'm going to audition for as soon as audition information/cost/camp dates and what not go up for the corps I'm interested in. I appreciate the advice, I am taking note of all of it to keep in mind for this coming audition season! I'm definitely a lot more confident and pumped about auditions now, so thanks again!

Don't let the fact that you've never marched corps deter you from auditioning anywhere. I just completed my rook-out at the Bluecoats, along with about 15 other rook-out members (meaning it was our rookie and age-out year both). I had never marched drum corps, and, in fact, I'd never marched color guard outside before I moved in with the Coats in May, and I got offered a spot via video audition.

All I can really offer is that if you have the passion and drive to really want it, and you show that to the staff during your audition camps, wherever you decide to go, it will not go unnoticed! If you want it, go get it, and I wish you the best of luck!

Mike

Bluecoats weapon line 09

IMAGINE

Having just completed a season of bari and a season of euph, I feel obliged to chime in.

In trombone terms, the bari is more like a tenor trombone (middle to upper register), while the euph is somewhat similar to a bass trombone (lots of really cool stuff in the lower register).

"Arms"-wise, I kind of did it my own way the first season. For the second season, I got a personal trainer, and he recommended a lot of shoulder and chest work (almost always pulling backward - seated row and similar). That worked really well for euph.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks, I'm going to start figuring out who I'm going to audition for as soon as audition information/cost/camp dates and what not go up for the corps I'm interested in. I appreciate the advice, I am taking note of all of it to keep in mind for this coming audition season! I'm definitely a lot more confident and pumped about auditions now, so thanks again!

Keep us updated on what you end up doing!