Chances of making top 10 World Class Corps

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned:

If you're cut from one of the so called "top 10" drum corps, don't sit out the season and wait for winter to come around again. March somewhere, anywhere! You never know where you'll find your home. From the outside in, it's easy to say "I want to march for XYZ because they will make finals and maybe even win!" But from the inside out, I'll tell you that you might find a similar or better experience without ever marching on Saturday night. Be open minded about where you audition and most importantly, keep going until you get a contract somewhere. From Blue Devils to Cascades, there is an amazing experience waiting for you. The grass always seems greener from finals retreat but as someone who marched in a finalist corps and a corps which narrowly missed finals, I'll say that it doesn't matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of your experience.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was auditioning for Snare in BD a drummer friend of mine asked me how much I was practicing. I told him 4-6 hours a day. He said you're wasting your time, do you know how many people actually make it into the Blue Devils? I said yes, the people practicing 4-6 hours a day. Whether it's today or 30 years ago the same principal applies. Pick your corps and go for it. Imagine going to finals in 2040 and telling yourself "I should have marched". Trust me on this one, if you don't march now you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

When I was auditioning for Snare in BD a drummer friend of mine asked me how much I was practicing. I told him 4-6 hours a day. He said you're wasting your time, do you know how many people actually make it into the Blue Devils? I said yes, the people practicing 4-6 hours a day. Whether it's today or 30 years ago the same principal applies. Pick your corps and go for it. Imagine going to finals in 2040 and telling yourself "I should have marched". Trust me on this one, if you don't march now you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

Agreed, I know so many people who said, "I wish I did that." Don't be that guy. I also agree with what many others say, while a ring is always nice, that's not necessarily the best place for YOU. Of course, that's up to you. But, I guarantee this to you, whether you go to #1 or #22, you will bust your butt like you never have before and when it's over, you'll be happy! Keep in touch with us here, I'd like to know how your story goes.

Hi,

I really want to try out for one of the top 10 drum corps, and I wanted to know what anyone thought of my chances for making it. The only marching experience I have is four years of high school marching band. I am a music performance major (possible music ed double major), and I feel I have the playing aspect down solidly (not trying to be arrogant, just realistic, so please don't take it that way). However, my marching experience is that of a high school bando's. I only have 3 years left to march before I age out, and I really want to perform with a top 10 drum corps. Does anyone have any suggestions on who I should audition for? I know Carolina Crown used to be a little more open to who they accept because they'd get holes around spring training. However, I've heard that now that they're with the big dogs, any openings are very skimpy.

What about Boston Crusaders or Glassmen or even Bluecoats <<they have a niiiice low brass sound, so I'm definitely partial towards them. Would trying to audition for the top 5 corps be a waste of my time?

Also, to trombone players out there, do you recommend marching Baritone or Euphonium. I'm open to either, though I'm skeptical as to whether or not my arms can handle a Euph.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!!

I'd say you have a good chance in ANY. If you have any doubts, go do one season in a DCA corps THEN do the DCI thing. OR, you might just like DCA corps and stay with that.

I've played euph and bari-grande. Start watching TV with a 3lb weight held out in front of you with both hands, then work up to 5 lbs. Then 3lbs in each hand.

Cool people play low brass.

audition for the best corps you can afford.

if they say "no," do your homework and come back to the next rehearsal. if they still say "no," just keep coming back until they say yes.

i've never seen anyone NOT end up in the line who did this.

While a great lesson in attitude, this is somewhat dated advice. After cuts are made, Top 10 corps are not open to those who aren't invited anymore.

audition for the best corps you can afford.

if they say "no," do your homework and come back to the next rehearsal. if they still say "no," just keep coming back until they say yes.

i've never seen anyone NOT end up in the line who did this.

A caveat to this - you may end up being offered a spot as an alternate if you do this. And this is just my opinion but I would never join a corps as an alternate when I could go somewhere else and actually march. I would rather march a non-finalist corps than be an alternate in a winning corps.

Also, to trombone players out there, do you recommend marching Baritone or Euphonium. I'm open to either, though I'm skeptical as to whether or not my arms can handle a Euph.

Some Corps march only Euphs (Phantom). After 2 Winter Camps your arms will be fine. (You'll do enough pushups).

And why top 10? Top 12-13 would be more fun so you have motivation on the last days of rehearsal.

Edited by Brett