Chances of making top 10 World Class Corps

Thanks for making this thread, I actually had some of the same questions running through my mind. I'm in my last 2 years of being able to march...so this is definitely my year to audition.

I had a questions for vets - most corps' websites say that "all positions are open" or "vet's must re-audition to earn a spot again with the corps"...I was wondering if this is true? It seems to me that vets generally have an open invitation back assuming they can pay their tuition and attend camps and what not. Has there ever been a case of a vet not making it? Also, before I audition for a corps should I find out how many open spots there are due to age-outs and those not coming back? Will staff release that info?

Thanks!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for making this thread, I actually had some of the same questions running through my mind. I'm in my last 2 years of being able to march...so this is definitely my year to audition.

I had a questions for vets - most corps' websites say that "all positions are open" or "vet's must re-audition to earn a spot again with the corps"...I was wondering if this is true? It seems to me that vets generally have an open invitation back assuming they can pay their tuition and attend camps and what not. Has there ever been a case of a vet not making it? Also, before I audition for a corps should I find out how many open spots there are due to age-outs and those not coming back? Will staff release that info?

Thanks!

I know of a "top 10" corps that cut several vets last year. They did not do anything to improve themselves (i.e., practice at home) and were cut because there were better performers to take their positions.

Try this thread for age-outs:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=129051

my experience with the "all spots are open" thing is that when the first rehearsal rolls around the next november, the staff just wants to make sure the vets have at least played a note or two since finals. the rule also gives them the right to get rid of anyone who was a problem, or is not pulling their weight. in 99.9% of cases, though, returning vets keep their spot.

i personally have seen a vet march one year, go off and get really fat, and audition 4 years later and not make it.

the staff won't tell you how many spots there are, because despite their best efforts, they just don't know. attrition through the spring for financial reasons does happen. if your section has 16 spots, and there are 8 vets returning, you can usually count on there being at least one vet who doesn't find the money or something.

don't worry about any of this. choose a corps and go. the audition process is more about learning whether you are good enough to be there, rather than whether you have a spot in november. the lines don't set until january or february in most cases. go and see if you can hang.

March one year with an open class corps. Trust me, they always need more brass players, especially low brass.

See if you can hack it with one of those outfits. See if you can endure the long practices, sweltering heat and humidity, long bus rides, nights on the floor of some junior high school, etc., etc.

Then try out in 2011 for a WC corps. You will have the ability, and experience, to make it through the tryouts, and the tour.

Regarding the choice of of Baritone vs. Euphonium - this today boils down to a choice of corps, not instrument. Most corps march one or the other instrument, not both. If you don't think you can cut it with a Euphonium, then try out with an outfit that only uses baritones.

Hi,

I really want to try out for one of the top 10 drum corps, and I wanted to know what anyone thought of my chances for making it. The only marching experience I have is four years of high school marching band. I am a music performance major (possible music ed double major), and I feel I have the playing aspect down solidly (not trying to be arrogant, just realistic, so please don't take it that way). However, my marching experience is that of a high school bando's. I only have 3 years left to march before I age out, and I really want to perform with a top 10 drum corps. Does anyone have any suggestions on who I should audition for? I know Carolina Crown used to be a little more open to who they accept because they'd get holes around spring training. However, I've heard that now that they're with the big dogs, any openings are very skimpy.

What about Boston Crusaders or Glassmen or even Bluecoats <<they have a niiiice low brass sound, so I'm definitely partial towards them. Would trying to audition for the top 5 corps be a waste of my time?

Also, to trombone players out there, do you recommend marching Baritone or Euphonium. I'm open to either, though I'm skeptical as to whether or not my arms can handle a Euph.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!!

You should audition for the corps of your choice. In regards to the marching thing, everybody is/was a "rookie" sometime.....if you go to camp in shape, work to get/stay in shape, and work on your marching, you should be fine with that aspect. It sounds as though you are confident with your playing ability, and if you made it into college as a music performance major, that is a plus.

Go and audition. If you don't feel comfortable at that corps, or the audition doesn't work out for any reason, by all means go audition elsewhere.

There are some who "hold out" for when a blank(s) open up in major corps in the Spring, or even after the season has started. However, someone who already has a year or more of corps experience (especially if they marched with a finalist) will get the nod over a rookie, although they may take you if no vets step up, you play well and show that you can cut it........also, the later you wait, the more pressure, as someone may have to attempt to learn difficult music and a difficult drill in a short time period. For a rookie, especially with your marching experience, I would recommend auditioning at the first camp and going through the whole process. Good luck!

GB

I had a questions for vets - most corps' websites say that "all positions are open" or "vet's must re-audition to earn a spot again with the corps"...I was wondering if this is true? It seems to me that vets generally have an open invitation back assuming they can pay their tuition and attend camps and what not. Has there ever been a case of a vet not making it?

In general, returning vets will have a spot assuming they 1) weren't slackers during the summer, 2) aren't slackers during the off-season, but most corps will never outwardly guarentee anyone a spot. I have heard of cases where vets were cut solely on the basis of talent in favor of more talented rookies (which I think is absolute crap) but that's probably rare if true.

Also, before I audition for a corps should I find out how many open spots there are due to age-outs and those not coming back? Will staff release that info?

If you're a brass player, I wouldn't worry too much about open spots. There should be plenty in each corps. Colorguard is probably a little tougher competition because there are less spots overall. Percussion will probably the toughest because they have the least number overall.

Also, to trombone players out there, do you recommend marching Baritone or Euphonium. I'm open to either, though I'm skeptical as to whether or not my arms can handle a Euph.

Three words for you: pushups, pushups, pushups.

You have about 100 days to the next round of tryouts. Do at least 50 pushups a day. That will equal about 5,000 pushups. You'll be ready.

As Morpheus would say to Neo: "I didn't say it would be easy, Neo. I simply said it would be the truth...."

pushups are good for overall getting in shape...

I'm not a believer in them actually helping your ability to hold a baritone or euph for 10-20 minutes though.

If the vet was handling their responsibilities during the summer, and took care of their business from August - Nov/Dec, they will have their spot. They are a proven commodity in terms of handling 12 hour rehearsal days and not causing disasters.

Hi,

I really want to try out for one of the top 10 drum corps, and I wanted to know what anyone thought of my chances for making it. The only marching experience I have is four years of high school marching band. I am a music performance major (possible music ed double major), and I feel I have the playing aspect down solidly (not trying to be arrogant, just realistic, so please don't take it that way). However, my marching experience is that of a high school bando's. I only have 3 years left to march before I age out, and I really want to perform with a top 10 drum corps. Does anyone have any suggestions on who I should audition for? I know Carolina Crown used to be a little more open to who they accept because they'd get holes around spring training. However, I've heard that now that they're with the big dogs, any openings are very skimpy.

What about Boston Crusaders or Glassmen or even Bluecoats <<they have a niiiice low brass sound, so I'm definitely partial towards them. Would trying to audition for the top 5 corps be a waste of my time?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!!

Boston had a great show all around design for enjoyment and when you saw it on the big screen it was truly amazing.

Get in shape, practice audition music, get in better shape, practice more, get in the best shape of your life, then go try out. If you want any info on Blue Stars, you can PM me.

Most of all, have fun!!!

BS had a good show. But all the props were not effective after the 1st few minutes of the show. Boston had a far better show than BS.