2009 DCI Open Class Finals

Greetings from Lucas Oil Stadium and the 2009 Drum Corps International Open Class Championships Finals! My name is Kevin Gamin, Managing News Editor for Drum Corps Planet, and I will be supplying you with LIVE play-by-play of OC Finals as part of DCP's Live From the Pressbox coverage of the 2009 season.

I have managed to snag THE best location for coverage today. I am sitting on the 46 yard line on Side 1 of the field, directly below the handicap area of the 100 section of the stadium. I have a PERFECT view for the show.

I'll be posting pictures and my overall impressions of the event via my Twitter account (@kevingamin). If you aren't already following me on Twitter, you can do so at http://www.twitter.com/kevingamin. My updates will also appear on Facebook, so be sure to be my friend at http://www.facebook.com/kevingamin.

We'll be getting started in about 10 minutes with the National Anthem. Andrea Bribilis (sp?), director of the Racine Scouts, was warming up her voice on the field, so I think she will be singing the anthem today.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my vantage point:

3t9.jpg

I should note that this will be my first indoor drum corps competition. I'll give you my impressions of the sound throughout the show.

First up for today's OC Finals competition is 7th Regiment from New London, Connecticut. Their 2009 program is entitled "Excalibur" and consists of:

Liturgical Dances by Holsinger, David

Of Kingsdoms and Glory (Mvt II & V) by DiLorenzo

Dance Movements (Mvt II) by Sparke, Philip

And the mountains rising nowhere by Schwanter

Lavos Battle by Mitsuda; Uematsa

Greetings from Lucas Oil Stadium and the 2009 Drum Corps International Open Class Championships Finals! My name is Kevin Gamin, Managing News Editor for Drum Corps Planet, and I will be supplying you with LIVE play-by-play of OC Finals as part of DCP's Live From the Pressbox coverage of the 2009 season.

I have managed to snag THE best location for coverage today. I am sitting on the 46 yard line on Side 1 of the field, directly below the handicap area of the 100 section of the stadium. I have a PERFECT view for the show.

I'll be posting pictures and my overall impressions of the event via my Twitter account (@kevingamin). If you aren't already following me on Twitter, you can do so at http://www.twitter.com/kevingamin. My updates will also appear on Facebook, so be sure to be my friend at http://www.facebook.com/kevingamin.

We'll be getting started in about 10 minutes with the National Anthem. Andrea Bribilis (sp?), director of the Racine Scouts, was warming up her voice on the field, so I think she will be singing the anthem today.

Kevin,

Thanks (in advance) for the reports today...and all season. For those of us that cannot be there, we are fortunate to have

you there describing the action.

I hope you have a great (and fun) day.

Cali.

It's a small horn line, but they put out a warm balanced sound. Good start to the show. Now we kick up the tempo for the 2nd movement.

Definitely a lot of reverb in the stadium, but I can hear all the parts.

16 brass, but they all know how to play together.

Snare solo. A little dirty, but very aggressive. Now tenors (two of them) play their feature. Horns perform in between. Full drum line playing on the 50. Very nice!

Pit is amped but I can't tell from here. Mellos have a great ripping tin foil sound, intentionally, which fits the Holsinger music they're playing.

7th Regiment in action:

2qec.jpg

The ballad opens with a flugel soloist. He's now put his horn down and is about to receive Excalibur from the Lady of the Lake.