2009 DCI Open Class Finals

Weird salute from the DM, looks like she stretchs out, then salutes. The stretch move signals the corps to hit their poses on the field.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horns start playing backfield. Didn't know this, but the guard lifts the trumpet soloist off the ground as he/she plays. Guard is in all black right now, but the black is sheer and you can see their actual uniform below.

Nice foot technique from the horns as they push forward with the first hit of the show. Strong start to the show!

This is a very difficult book for the horn line. They've come a long way with it, but I still feel like it might be a little over their heads.

Of course, as soon as I say that, they blow me away with their sound.

Nice moment from the mellophones.

This corps is growing up fast. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

Legends is very strong visually. They do a lot of foot work and body movement which is very clean, but they're also marching their drill clean with great technique.

Now into the 3rd movement of the show. Drum major has a weird conducting pattern. Conducts the downbeat, holds for a beat, then conducts beats 3 and 4. I can follow it, just wondering what lead to that pattern.

Horns now playing while drums pose in back. I hear a lot of waviness in the sound. It's not vibrato, just sounds like some control issues with the players.

Drums back in, corps building to a hit.

Legends in action:

78x.jpg

This corps can put out the volume when they want to. The final hit of the movement before the closer was balls to the wall.

Very impressive Legends. This is a corps on the rise, for sure. Watch out next year!

Go get 'em kids!!

(waiting for the "Thanks Mom!")

Next on the field are the Velvet Knights from Anaheim, California. Their 2009 program is entitled "Cirque d' VK" and consists of:

Thunder & Blazes by Seredy, J S

Toy Story Jam by Newman, Randy

Mahoney’s Debut by Zigman, Aaron

Temper Tantrum 2 by Zigman, Aaron

Flight of the Magorium by Zigman, Aaron & Desplat, Alexander

Carnival Capers by Hinshaw, Rich & Nelson, Tony

Hungarian Rhapsody by Liszt, Franz