02- 16th

03- 10th

04- 7th

05- 7th

06- 8th

07- 6th

08- 4th

09- (2nd after semi's)

So Crown was a consistent lower finalist over 7 years. Then came 2002. In 2003 they restructured their faculty completely as well as some administrative modifications to see the rise to the top of the pack. I think it's safe to say that without 2002 Crown would not be anywhere near where they are today.

What are your thoughts on how 2002 has affected the corps?

Also, is it time to stop shuddering at the thought of 2002 Crown and instead embrace it as a cause of the corps current rise?

I'd also like to point out Troopers as an example of things getting worse before getting better. They went from not making semis for a number of years in a row, to folding, to having 2 incredibly successful seasons, and finally making finals for the first time since 1986 (I believe).

Awesome.

Bluecoats had a similar experience. They dropped out of finals in 1999 after having been a solid finalist for the previous 12 years. It was a wakeup call that the status quo was no longer acceptable. I don't know what specific changes were made but I know there was a serious reassesment of the organization.

I'd also like to point out Troopers as an example of things getting worse before getting better. They went from not making semis for a number of years in a row, to folding, to having 2 incredibly successful seasons, and finally making finals for the first time since 1986 (I believe).

Awesome.

Good point.

By the way, the 'picture' thing in your signature might be one of the most disturbing signatures on here to me, for some reason. I don't know why, it just freaks me out and makes it hard to read your posts :tongue:

The Crossmen have gone through this twice. Take 85-92 for instance: 86-21st place 92-6th place. They are there again this year. Sometimes corps just need a kick in the pants in order for the light bulb to go off and things get better. Good luck to Crown tonight ( I mean they have to be enjoying all the old crossmen staff :tongue: ). Bring a championship back to the East Coast!

Edited by beachdude

Madison's kind of the same way, except they're kind of back in that slump. They'll be back soon enough! Looks like 2002 was a bad year...

1995: 4

1996: 6

1997: 5

1998: 6

1999: 6

2000: 10

2001: 11

2002: 14

2003: 8

2004: 8

2005: 6

2006: 9

2007: 15

2008: 12

2009: 15

95- 11th

96- 10th

97- 12th

98- 11th

99- 11th

00- 11th

01- 10th

02- 16th

03- 10th

04- 7th

05- 7th

06- 8th

07- 6th

08- 4th

09- (2nd after semi's)

So Crown was a consistent lower finalist over 7 years. Then came 2002. In 2003 they restructured their faculty completely as well as some administrative modifications to see the rise to the top of the pack. I think it's safe to say that without 2002 Crown would not be anywhere near where they are today.

What are your thoughts on how 2002 has affected the corps?

Also, is it time to stop shuddering at the thought of 2002 Crown and instead embrace it as a cause of the corps current rise?

Funny I just mentioned 2002 in another thread.

Totally agree.

Geoffrey

That run that Crown has put on since 2002 is the same kind of rise we saw when Cadets surged back up towards the top in the mid-80s, when Star rose like cream in the early 90s, and when Cavaliers rose from the late 80s to mid-90s. Doesn't guarantee one win let alone a bunch, but it's the way to become a top-level program. Slow and steady steps forward. You keep your best veterans from chasing rings elsewhere, and you become a destination corps for the best auditioners wanting to move up a level.

Who woulda thunk putting pink togas on the field would have led to this......

....green fairies :)