RIP Mass Brass

Sorry, but I call BS on that one. How about we cut the Black Eyed Peas song (with multiple unedited expletives, mind you... so much for a family show?) and the newly formed DCI dance party prior to the finale then? That took just as long, or at least longer than I've ever seen, to get the corps out on the field to begin with. And were the fog machines really necessary? The one on the right looked ridiculous, as it looked like something was just on fire in the corner. The one on the left wasn't really working anyway.

You just described WGI World Championship Finals.

Wow. :doh:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of miss the days when each corps would play themselves off.

But, then again, I'm old.

How about if they let last year's champions do an "instant encore" while the corps are filing onto the field?

It would be another tangible reward/honor for placing first.

I also liked the suggestion that someone else had about getting the Open Class champ to play an exhibition between the last competing WC corps and the scores.

Or perhaps the 13th place WC corps.

Here's a thought - get a headliner jazz band, concert ensemble or even a decent rock band to do a concert after the last corps. Stomp ensemble. Whatever. Or after semifinals. Something to keep people interested in coming back to Indy. If you put enough butts in seats it will pay for itself.

I never liked the Mass Brass concept for a variety of reasons, for which I won't go into here (however, I will say that after last year's display at finals, I'm even more happy that this was done away with).

I'd love to see a return to the tradition of the full retreat: corps leave the field in the reverse order of placement - saluting the champions with either their corps song, or another piece. And, then, one of my favorite drum corps quotes: "(insert name of champion), the field is yours." This was always a great experience, and to see shoes with notes left by the age-outs, was always emotional.

Modernizing the activity with instrumentation, electronics, synths, etc., I'll live with. However, I sure as heck wish they'd bring back at least ONE tradition...the Full-Corps Retreat!

I guess I missed the memo; what fiasco happened last year??

Lots of bad hangovers and other notes when they played teh mass piece.

Some people were insisting it was coming from BD -- sore losers and all that (which I do not believe) -- but some others said it was coming froma few people in either Blue Knights or Bluecoats (forget which)

who brought out their horns? / who didn't?

if they're just going to play crap, I don't mind seeing it go. I would like each one to play their corps song... but... yea.

Only Corps I saw without instruments were The Bluecoats and Phantom ...

Seemed odd to see them come on the field without their brass and drums, but I'm ok with it ...

I can't believe no one is saying anything about the music they played while the individual corps marched on the field ...

Can you sing, "BOOM, BOOM ..." by the Black Eye Peas ... :doh:

Back in my day, we'd do full corps retreats for EVERY show... even those little ones in Iowa. ;)

Hey now! No show in Iowa was little to Iowans :doh:

On a more serious note, since the demise of DCM (and I'm not saying that was necessarily a bad thing) the number of shows and number of shows with bigger corps has rapidly declined in the Midwest. In fact, the Colts show this year was the best show in many a year. Shows gone from Iowa: Davenport, Ankeney, Moline (OK that's IL but only just over the border), Gowery (Gail Royer's home town) and Cedar Rapids. Oops, forgot Sioux City.

Edited by AlanAndreasen

I'm kind of a youngin (20) but I was upset to see the mass brass gone. I was also upset when the Marine Corps wasn't playing all the corps back on the field. I felt like I was at WGI finals all over again last night.....