Crown needs to find its own identity

First want to congratulate all corps on a fanatstic year!!!!!

BD, Cavies, Cadets, SCV and Phantom all have their own identities.

BD, well, their BD. Cavies have their innovative visual programs and performance, Phantom has their sound and storytelling, etc with SCV n Cadets...... you can agree with these styles or not, but one can tell who these corps are without a uniform or name.

My point is: Crown needs to establish their own niche. This year they received the silver by playing music other corps are known for (over the rainbow/somewhere) and many on this board say how similar they look and sound to Star. But when is Crown goin be to known for being Crown and not be compared to another corps? When are we going to be able to say Crown is a leader in pushing drum corps to new heights. They had a great show this year, but to have longterm success they need to figure who they are.

I understand they've been changing to improve and move up in the placements, but where do they go from here? Lookin at 2007/2008 I thought they may have started to develop that somethin, but this year even though successful I thought they lost it in translation.

PS: This is not meant to take anything away from Crown, but talkin to many who are just drum corps fans they seemed to enjoy the Crown of 07/08 better. But can appreciate the demand of this years program.

Edited by GREENBLUE

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've not noticed, DCI is a copycat activity. First and foremost respect should be given to Crown for the tremendous improvement the organization has made. Second, corps do not call "dibs" on a given piece of music. Most corps have played a piece that another group has played at some point in the long history of DCI. Over the last few years Crown's programs have been very innovative and entertaining and their brass sound is very impressive. They're not guilty of anything different than any of the corps you've mentioned. Give em a break!

If you've not noticed, DCI is a copycat activity. First and foremost respect should be given to Crown for the tremendous improvement the organization has made. Second, corps do not call "dibs" on a given piece of music. Most corps have played a piece that another group has played at some point in the long history of DCI. Over the last few years Crown's programs have been very innovative and entertaining and their brass sound is very impressive. They're not guilty of anything different than any of the corps you've mentioned. Give em a break!

I agree with the copycat comment, but not with regards to the corps in the the top 5/6 these corps are to be the trend setters, everyone else is copying them. These corps should be pushing the envelope. And I know no one has "dibs" on any particular piece of music but plain and simple when I hear Somewhere I think of the Cadets, Over the Rainbow THe Cavies. So next year maybe Crown will play Send in the Clowns (SCV) or Ice Castles (Madison).

I do love their brass sound, just play something that will be known as Crown.

We agree. Crown arrived fairly late on the scene and it is nearly impossible not to play music that older corps had time to claim "dibs" on. There are not that many different pieces that would translate well on the field to not have repeats. I think the different takes on the repeats are great. Now i guess Crown could have Klesh compose original pieces but then there would be those claiming flaws and lack of tradition and familiarity in the music.

You said it, all corps do repeats and it is amazingly difficult not to. Remember when Crown went out on a limb with the "Industry" show? Didnt work that well or translate. It's just not fair to ask the new guys to come up with their own "niche" when the older corps have called "dibs" on the mainstream.

If it were up to be I would probably have done what Crown has done to this point. They now the personell, the staff, and the resources. Maybe they can afford to try going out on a limb with original music and or arrangements again.

We agree. Crown arrived fairly late on the scene and it is nearly impossible not to play music that older corps had time to claim "dibs" on. There are not that many different pieces that would translate well on the field to not have repeats. I think the different takes on the repeats are great. Now i guess Crown could have Klesh compose original pieces but then there would be those claiming flaws and lack of tradition and familiarity in the music.

You said it, all corps do repeats and it is amazingly difficult not to. Remember when Crown went out on a limb with the "Industry" show? Didnt work that well or translate. It's just not fair to ask the new guys to come up with their own "niche" when the older corps have called "dibs" on the mainstream.

If it were up to be I would probably have done what Crown has done to this point. They now the personell, the staff, and the resources. Maybe they can afford to try going out on a limb with original music and or arrangements again.

Thanks for the response, now that Crown has grown and established a fantastic staff/fan base, lets hope they take that amazing sound and and try something original

Not so sure about this, I mean BDs identity has changed beyond all recognition from red-hot jazz to a cirque-style entertainment circus, so the idea of strong identity is pretty fluid.

Crown's identity is similar to Star - you'll never know what's coming next. That's an identity in itself.

Sour grapes maybe? I don't know so we'll just go on...

I think Crown has figured out exactly who they are! In four years they've gone from 8th to 2nd so they must be pushing something the right way.

But you know what? As long as they keep putting out entertaining shows like they did this year, I could give a rip who they "copy"! In fact, they could redo my favorite show of all time ('85 Suncoast) and as long as it was as good now as it was then, I'd be happy!

And sorry, when I hear "Over the Rainbow", the first corps that comes to mind for me is Sky Ryders, not Cavies. The same as when I hear Appalachian Spring I think SCV and not Cadets.

Sorry if I hurt some feelings but this argument is getting old.

Edited by skajerk

Sour grapes maybe? I don't know so we'll just go on...

I think Crown has figured out exactly who they are! In four years they've gone from 8th to 2nd so they must be pushing something the right way.

But you know what? As long as they keep putting out entertaining shows like they did this year, I could give a rip who they "copy"! In fact, they could redo my favorite show of all time ('85 Suncoast) and as long as it was as good now as it was then, I'd be happy!

And sorry, when I hear "Over the Rainbow", the first corps that comes to mind for me is Sky Ryders, not Cavies. The same as when I hear Appalachian Spring I think SCV and not Cadets.

Sorry if I hurt some feelings but this argument is getting old.

I agree