Crown needs to find its own identity

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an incorrect statement.

That said, the show as a whole was pretty innovative, methinks.

I timed it from the Annapolis APD. No corps has ever played St. Michael's Cathedral, Overture to Il Sogno, Puck from Il Sogno, Slalom, or any of the original music in Crown's show. Together, this music adds up to about 7:36 of an 11:30 show, or about two thirds. I'm sorry it seems like more to you.

I disagree completely. Crown does have their own identity. Their brass sound is BETTER than Star ever was. While their style does seem to have similarities to old Star, remember that Star does not exist anymore. I think we should embrace the similarities, as we wish Star was still around, and maybe this would be what they would be doing... one could only hope.

The brass sound is uniquely theirs now. If you blindfolded me, and put BD, Cadets, Cavies, Phantom and Crown in front of me, I could easily tell them apart. The rest would be tougher as they tend to generate a generic sound. These five are distinct with their sound. Thats identity.

Their use of body movement is another level than even Star was doing, which makes it their identity now.

Their choice of repertoire is not a very good argument as well. Part of why people love drum corps is to hear music they know and love performed. It's nice to see new tunes out there, but we also like to see new takes on the classics. I do not regret seeing the Cadets do WSS again. They had a great take on it. I would say SCV's approach to Martha this year was more like the Cadets take on it than it was on their own corps historical relationship with it. Where is the identity of that.

There are groups that are searching for their identity, and some seemingly on a continuous basis. Crown is not one of them. They found it!!!!

Great response to the OP. I agree completely that Crown has based their identity on their rich, unique brass sound. The next step for them is to gain more visual identity. The use of body movement, as you point out, is a step in that direction.

I really believe that musical repertoire is only a small percentage of a corps' "identity".

The Cadets played Appalachian Spring in 1987 and made history with that show. I don't see anyone complaining when the Santa Clara Vanguard did that same piece of music this year. Both the Phantom Regiment and the Blue Stars played The Firebird suite in 2007, yet the Cavaliers played that in 1997. Was 1997 a particularly "ground-breaking" show? Not really, but why does a show need to be ground-breaking in order to "belong" to a corps? That's why I think no matter how famous or historical a show is, the music will NEVER belong to a corps.

Any musician has heard this before: "Play more than just the notes on the page, play the MUSIC with emotion!" Well, that STILL applies in Drum Corps. Sure, Carolina Crown technically played the same notes in songs as various other corps over the past two years, but HOW they played those notes and presented the songs varied ENTIRELY.

Yeah, most of it has been done before, but I don't care. Loved the show.

No he's right - apart from Promise, Somewhere - Somewhere - the rest has never been played by anyone

An identity restricts the corps' creativity, unless you're talking a very generic identity - ie, Crown's great brass line, or Cadets belief in constant motion.

Just pick cool music please, and if you do it well I don't care what your identity is :doh:

I really believe that musical repertoire is only a small percentage of a corps' "identity".

The Cadets played Appalachian Spring in 1987 and made history with that show. I don't see anyone complaining when the Santa Clara Vanguard did that same piece of music this year. Both the Phantom Regiment and the Blue Stars played The Firebird suite in 2007, yet the Cavaliers played that in 1997. Was 1997 a particularly "ground-breaking" show? Not really, but why does a show need to be ground-breaking in order to "belong" to a corps? That's why I think no matter how famous or historical a show is, the music will NEVER belong to a corps.

It's all in the perspective - you get to the point where almost nothing hasn't been done before. Sure, Cadets did Appalachian Spring in '87.....and so did SCV in about '76. And Firebird's been done prior to '97. Anaheim in '74, for example. Conquest? When I hear that I think USC Trojans....or Blue Stars '72. So, rest assured most everything's been done before.

About the only thing that struck me this year as being completely new was the Cavies blowing on bottles sound effect, which was pretty creative.

Dumb thread. Leave it alone. Crown has had their indentity since they started in the activity. They are no one else but Crown.

I am so sick of these "Crown needs to find themselves" threads. They are a waste of time.

One could argue that Cavaliers have lost their identity greenblue. But why go there? Waste of time. Lets celebrate 2009.

Crown most certainly has their own "identity" and that identity is a drum corps that has, in a fairly short amount of time, risen to the elite. Throughout their history, they have reinvented, retooled, and busted butt to get where they are. What more "identity" does a corps need? There was familiar music in their '09 program, but as has already been stated, most of their music has never been played by a drum corps before, their visual package gave life, character, and "identity" to their program. I'm just not buying the "identity" argument. Besides, whatever is happening behind the scenes to put the corps together is obviously working and working very well!