Crown needs to find its own identity

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Crown has an identity, and that is playing great music and performing fun shows that the crowd enjoys. And doing it at an exceptional level. As far as copycat, how many corps this year used music previously played by Blue Devils? I think there were 5, including Blue Devils.

I personally don't think a corps needs an identity to be successful. Why lock yourself in year after year? How many times have we heard, why aren't Blue Devils or Crossmen playing jazz, why isn't SCV doing broadway, etc. And how many times have we heard the complaint, why can't Pioneer play anything but Irish? I think more people just need to watch and enjoy each show for what it is, instead of trying to label everything.

As long as Crown doesn't bring chairs...

Crown will also be the subject of puerile jokes when/if they're as successful as the corps you're yukking it up about.

Anyway, Crown takes concepts that I can really only see them doing, and owns them 100%. You simply never see them doing a show that the members aren't into with everything they've got.

Pretty good identity, IMO.

Okay here is my take on "identity".

SCV does a lot of triangles, they do that side-ways Y pull into a box.

Blue Devils, they do a lot of jazz, they do a lot of snakes (which they do so well), they are flashy and do visuals so well, and they also have that buzzy brass tone.

Cadets do a lot of emotion-filled shows (which I love, my favorite show of all time is 2000). They also almost have a copyright on West Side Story.

They also love to do boxes and variations on boxes, ruffling boxes, boxes falling on itself back through the other side, etc.

Cavaliers are known for their symmetry, their pretty much entirely original music, and machine-like methodical visual programs. Their shows, in contrast to Cadets, do not have a whole lot of emotional content.

Phantom Regiment is known for having awesome musical shows but poor designs. THey also do classical music, which is why I love PR so much. Every year their show is based upon classical music. Even last year, Spartacus was written by Khatchuturian (sp?).

And then Crown.

Crown I think is beginning to be known for their unique brass sound, and their light-hearted musical programs. THeir visual shows are different than other corps...even last year and the year before.

This year they did a lot of dancing and body movement. Maybe they will become known for this.

I just don't think their show designs have been top notch. The only reason they won 2nd is because of their music.

Besides forming a real good looking crown on the field, maybe they will find their identity visually in show design.

But yes, Crown is still forming their own identity. Its coming along, but not quite there yet. Identities are formed over years from experience. Crown isn't there yet.

I'd like to see them do a serious show for once. Not a light-hearted show about horses or grass. Do something that will remind me of PR 1996. Something in a minor key, powerful.

BW

BW

CROWN went so far this year and silver was amazing!

To the original poster... I always look to the next Crown season and think "who's drum corps BEST OF music will they pull out this year?" So, I too, see your point..

I predicted MEDIA for 09 and was glad to be wrong...

I just don't think their show designs have been top notch. The only reason they won 2nd is because of their music.

Besides forming a real good looking crown on the field, maybe they will find their identity visually in show design.

Has there been a rip in the space/time continuum this morning????

I'd like to see them do a serious show for once. Not a light-hearted show about horses or grass. Do something that will remind me of PR 1996. Something in a minor key, powerful.

:doh: First place in brass, First in Ensemble MUSIC, 2nd in percussion, and their Music is what put them in 2nd? Which recap were you looking at? Though I will agree that I'd like to see a darker show from them. It would be interesting to see what their design staff would put together for something a bit more sinister.

Edited by Cron

Look - I'm not ripping them by saying "the only reason" etc. I think that either Cadets or Crown could have gotten 2nd.

When I watch a drum corps perform, I look for certain things in a visual program. Doing dancing and body movt is fine, but there is a point where it becomes a little annoying. Cadets learned that the last couple years, putting Oprah out in mid-field last year...I mean come on...

Visually, my favorite corps have been Cavs and SCV.

Don't get me wrong, I think Crown had some real good visuals, but I just didn't "feel" it...not they way I felt it when I watched Machine, or Spin Cycle, or that masterpiece Frameworks. Even Cadets 2000, 1998, SCV 1999, Star 1991, 93.

I'm waiting for Crown to come out with a masterpiece musically and visually.

Sorry forgot to mention PR 2003

Edited by BoyWonder1911