Fix Retreat

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched 2004 and 2006 and haven't been to any other finals retreat but here's my .02.

2004-America/O Canada was played and it was awesome. I do remember kind of being rushed off the field but I got all the photos I wanted so no complaints.

2006-I didn't march the full season thus didn't learn to play anything other than the show, and I was a little upset with the new fanfare that had Appalachian Spring etc. This was only in comparison to the traditional America/O Canada. Again, a sense of urgency was there but I still got all the photos I wanted.

Here's a few reasons why things are the way they are:

-Extra time in the stadium means high labor costs to keep the operational staff of any stadium there while everything happens. Money makes things change real quick.

-CMM's also need to turn in uniforms, horns, and equipment after retreat. This needs to happen asap because in both seasons I marched there was a bus that didn't go back to the housing site and left straight for the airport at too:early AM. Transportation now needs to be quick and immediate because that's what everyone wants and needs despite it coming at the expense of memories.

For the record, I wish for all the suggestions everyone has made so CMM's can have an awesome finals night and go out with a bang. Things like fog and Miley are out of place for this event. My finals experiences were awesome. I wish we had forever to cry, take photos, and say goodbye to everything and everyone the way we want. But, I know why there are time limits but lose the middle school dance vibe.

I'd like to direct some of your attention to the threads after last years retreat, particularly the comments about how a few choice performers decided to play America/Canada. Yall raised high hell about butchering the fanfare, and now complain that they don't play it. Point in fact... whether you want to believe it or not, I'd wager to say that up to 8 or 10% of the members are in no condition to play their instruments by the time retreat rolls around. If even 1 out of 20 members are inhibited in some respect, that would be roughly 60 people (who play an instrument), and it only takes one bad apple.

I think there should absolutely be some time alotted for pics on the field, mingling, etc. As much as the activity is about the fans, its also about the members - let them relish the moment with their friends awhile. If you love encore that much, you'll appreciate the value of the moment for the members and hang around - what's an extra half hour.. really?

Edited by Ben
filter circumvention

It was very much like a WGI retreat, unfortunately.

*sigh* I agree with you and mikesterhb; it works for WGI, but obviously not for DCI. Back to the drawing board. . . .

I agree with half your comments. Bring back retreat the way it used to be. Let the kids play themselves off the field and pass the winner in review. It's emotional, impressive and respectful of the champion.

But, the pictures and shaking hands was all taking place in the parking lot after the show. I know the adults are trying to hurry the kids along and get on the busses. But, it never works. Didn't work 35 years ago when I marched. Doesn't work now. It's their last time to be together for the season... maybe forever for the 21-year olds. Let them enjoy it. But, take it outside where there is room and let it go.

Retreat has been the most impressive spectacle of a corps show for MANY years. Don't try to "improve" it with smoke and recorded music. Let the kids control it. They know best!

Pardon me for being rude about this DCI, this is getting ridiculous. Knock the krap off and return the activity to its roots. It changes every year and fans, and performers are getting sick of it.

-Let the kids play themselves off the field. We're in a dome, late night noise shouldn't be an issue anymore. It's the last night of our season, let the kids have some fan and let the fans hear a bit more from the kids one more time.

-Nix the smoke and lights. This isn't WWF

-Give the kids a few moments to take some pictures and shake hands with some of the other performers. They've earned it. It's tradition. Stop f**king with tradition!

You have the power to fix it... do something right for a change.

I like that theyre trying new things. What they did lighting-wise was cool... and honestly, i have no problem with the smoke and such. A lof of you are like "but wgi does it" (so of course it must be bad)... but wgi does it because OTHER big name events do it. For an organization that brands itself as "marching music's major league", its good to see them acting like a major league activity. The lights and the ring-board worked very well. The smoke was almost a dud, but could work well if the kinks were worked out. Lets keep in mind this is year one in this stadium. Since we're at the same one theyll be able to tweak it and make the best product knowing what works in that stadium better.

Then again, i'm a brass guy... i come to see great brasslines and the 'whole package' that shows put together. I dont get much out of watching a drumline play cadences for 30 minutes while everyone gets on the field. I actually liked that they were adding some music. Would i have chosen different music? Most definitely. And they probably couldve cranked the subs a bit.

As to the miley song in the finals sum-up video... i dunno, it worked for me. I mean, go look at the lyrics to 'the climb' and tell me how that cannot apply to the experience marching a season.

However, I defintely would have liked to see something played at retreat. Whether that be a mass-brass piece or it be corps playing mini-encores.

If time is an issue...just start the whole show earlier

Please start the shows earlier. Why are we getting out at 11pm-12am and then starting a final ride back to the hometowns. Also not good for attempting to get younger kids engaged, because it is so late.