Drum line body movement and strutting

OK, I guess this stuff started in WGI, and I don't have a problem with that. What bothers me is that everyone is doing it, and they're all doing the same things. Squat, stand, turn right, center, turn left. rock back and forth on each leg...face it, there's not much more to it than that.

Is this part of the "vocabulary" for visual now? If so, I'm over it. It's repetitive, and does nothing to enhance anybody's show if they're all doing the same thing.

Also, the drum lines that finish a lick, accent the release with a drop-hand duble-stop, then strut? What are you strutting about? You're supposed to play it clean. If you play it dirty, are you going to slink off and hide?

Please, I don't need an "in your face". I need you to act like you're supposed to be good. You don't see Yoyo Ma strutting around after he nails a cello solo.

Garry in Vegas

No one said it was hard, it just adds to the overall visual package.

OK, I guess this stuff started in WGI, and I don't have a problem with that. What bothers me is that everyone is doing it, and they're all doing the same things. Squat, stand, turn right, center, turn left. rock back and forth on each leg...face it, there's not much more to it than that.

Is this part of the "vocabulary" for visual now? If so, I'm over it. It's repetitive, and does nothing to enhance anybody's show if they're all doing the same thing.

Also, the drum lines that finish a lick, accent the release with a drop-hand duble-stop, then strut? What are you strutting about? You're supposed to play it clean. If you play it dirty, are you going to slink off and hide?

Please, I don't need an "in your face". I need you to act like you're supposed to be good. You don't see Yoyo Ma strutting around after he nails a cello solo.

Garry in Vegas

I don't get it.

No one said it was hard, it just adds to the overall visual package.

there's a lot that can be done to add to the visual package. but everyone does the same thing.

and banished Beyond does it better than all of them

It is overused. Its a great way to hide players too.

It is overused. Its a great way to hide players too.

I'm not sure I understand... how so?

Of all the corps who did so, I actually enjoy Bluecoats' the most.

Garry in Vegas

Not being a drummer, I couldn't find exactly how to express my thoughts on this subject...

BUT, you've taken exactly what I've wanted to say the past several years and put it all out there. Thank you kind sir. I absolutely cannot stand the "in your face", "yeah boy", "we rule" and "whatcha gonna do about it" illustrated body movements of several drumlines in DCI. The BD monkey drumming of the 90's was one thing, that was slightly cool. The straight leg waddling and rocking mixed with the toy soldier visuals does absolutely NOTHING for me.

Amen amen amen.

stop going to shows then?

Garry in Vegas

lol.

whatever