Drum line body movement and strutting

I like the attitude and involvement from a body standpoint of the battery.... or anybody else on the field to match the attitude of what is being played. I agree that the body statements shouldn't be put there just to say that they played something really difficult... I think consideration should be given to whether it adds to what is happening visually. I get it when a really hot lick is played and the body complements it... I don't so much care for movement for the sake of movement. My two cents.

Here's some body movement for you....put your leg out and ####### play something!!!

Yeah, I remember that from the 70's-90's too!

That stuff (stopping, putting out your legs and playing) is OLD HAT! Somewhere along the line a designer decided to make it interesting by adding body movement that compliments the rhythmic construction of the music. It might LOOK the same from line to line, but it more than likely is different and 'modified' to match the music. When that was added to the visual vocabulary, other drumlines who just stand and play do not get the same scores as drumlines who play while doing body movement (because it's more difficult).

Sure, Banished Beyond guy does it great. ANYONE can sound good/clean when not having to clean to eight other snares, five tenors and five basses. It's actually pretty difficult to clean due to the unnatural body movement (add simultaneous demand to the performer).

stop going to shows then?

create something new then

There's only so much movement you can do when you're strapped to a device that gets in the way of your thighs and knees. I imagine 10 years from now we'll have bass drummers rolling over their drums in their (5-point?) harnesses -- I've done that before, but on accident -- but you're all welcome to come up with ways for the battery to contribute to GE. The fact remains you HAVE to continue to push the ticket if you're going to be competitive, and right now the dips and sways are standard to the scene. If you don't do it (and don't have something novel to replace it) you're not going to score as high as the battery that does.

One thing that could allow more innovation is to come up with new harnesses. The drums themselves are going to be what they're going to be, but harness has undergone quite a bit of change in the past 30 years. Maybe they need to take it a step further and find ways to lock the drums in other positions without detaching them or removing the harness.

Edited by Gaddabout

OK, I guess this stuff started in WGI, and I don't have a problem with that. What bothers me is that everyone is doing it, and they're all doing the same things. Squat, stand, turn right, center, turn left. rock back and forth on each leg...face it, there's not much more to it than that.

Is this part of the "vocabulary" for visual now? If so, I'm over it. It's repetitive, and does nothing to enhance anybody's show if they're all doing the same thing.

Also, the drum lines that finish a lick, accent the release with a drop-hand duble-stop, then strut? What are you strutting about? You're supposed to play it clean. If you play it dirty, are you going to slink off and hide?

Please, I don't need an "in your face". I need you to act like you're supposed to be good. You don't see Yoyo Ma strutting around after he nails a cello solo.

Garry in Vegas

I absolutely agree. :rock:

What I enjoy about drumlines visually is the stick work.

Also, the drum lines that finish a lick, accent the release with a drop-hand duble-stop, then strut? What are you strutting about? You're supposed to play it clean. If you play it dirty, are you going to slink off and hide?

Garry in Vegas

Hey Garry, I don't have a problem with body movement during a drum break so much but what I do find annoying is exactly what you mentioned here, all the posturing and strutting about after playing a particular lick. I can accept it if the lick is played cleanly and is performed well (although I'd prefer that the notes speak for themselves) but what is annoying is when a lick is trashed and sounds like garbage and the the players still posture and strut about. What is that? If you want to strut fine but play the lick correctly for crying out loud!

Greg (who sometimes fly's over Vegas)