Drum line body movement and strutting

LOL.

I think lines should build in tepid reactions after their solos ... you know, grimaced faces, hanging their heads in shame, dropping their shoulders, throwing sticks to the ground, etc.

"Aww, crap, blew that release AGAIN!" ...or... "######! We had that in ensemble this afternoon!"

Wouldn't that be cool? Certainly would be groundbreaking. :unhappy:

Don't go giving Velvet Knights any ideas - for free at least.

Regards,

John

That's another thread right there and so bloody true. Not going to name names, but I sometimes wonder if those lot exercises are really just camera muggings for YouTube to help promote a caption head's individual effort to sell copyrighted, exclusive exercises (i.e. the same check patterns as before, just in a different order).

I've actually seen eight on a hand for sale as an ensemble exercise. Eight on freakin' hand.

yep. look i love SCV, but you see more of Schlitz and Giggles or Double Beat online than you do runs of the show.

funny tho...the exercises are pretty clean. the show in spots isnt

Those drums probably sound awful. Wood only, please.

probably very true but those clear/yellow drums the John Bonham had in the 70's were pretty flippin powerful. He made them sing. Sometimes its not the instrument, its the player. I think it would be fun to see a really good line playing some really awful drums and make them sound good. Ludwig made the ones I remember, but I am having an old man moment and the model name is escaping me. Ultra-something? I can't remember.

probably very true but those clear/yellow drums the John Bonham had in the 70's were pretty flippin powerful. He made them sing. Sometimes its not the instrument, its the player. I think it would be fun to see a really good line playing some really awful drums and make them sound good. Ludwig made the ones I remember, but I am having an old man moment and the model name is escaping me. Ultra-something? I can't remember.

go listen to Westshore 90-97. we made Stingray sound good

It is overused. Its a great way to hide players too.

These things are phases. Once they are done for a few years ( usually the shelf life on this stuff is 4-6 years ) some Corps will come out with a new body movement schtick, or new use of the hands in drumming schtick, and this will all be seen as old, stale, and passe. If you like this schtick, fine. If not, just be patient. It'll be gone before you know it, with a new schtick to enjoy ( or mock as the case may be )

Edited by BRASSO

It's called "added" or "multiple" responsibilities on the performer. It gets more credit than just standing and playing.

False - if you play worse while doing it you get credit for neither.

The body movement is NOT, I repeat: NOT required vocabulary in DCI (or WGI for that matter), it is a different means to an end. A group that plays a more technically challenging book but stands still or moves from point A-B (see: Cadets 2003) will get the the same recognition (or IMO should get more) as a group that plays a weak book but throws some body on top.

The reason it is so popular right now (IMO) is you can write an easier book, clean it early in the season and then use the body movement as a "score multiplier" as the season goes on. Is it a smart approach from a competitive standpoint? Perhaps.... personally I would rather take my lumps challenging my members/students with more difficult music and having them march their butts off.

edit: the overarching issue is no one has actually defined HOW to judge the body movement and exactly how much it should/does factor into scoring... would like to see a proposal for that in 2010

-------

As for the posturing/attitude at the end of phrases: All I can say is - telling me you've done something is nearly as convincing as SHOWING ME. As the saying goes: "act like you've been there before" and I'll provide all the hype you need... See: Phantom Regiment 2003-present

Edited by highpitch_83

There's only so much movement you can do when you're strapped to a device that gets in the way of your thighs and knees.

Chuck the harnesses, throw the snares on slings and high-step it out. :unhappy:

OK, I guess this stuff started in WGI, and I don't have a problem with that. What bothers me is that everyone is doing it, and they're all doing the same things. Squat, stand, turn right, center, turn left. rock back and forth on each leg...face it, there's not much more to it than that.

Is this part of the "vocabulary" for visual now? If so, I'm over it. It's repetitive, and does nothing to enhance anybody's show if they're all doing the same thing.

Also, the drum lines that finish a lick, accent the release with a drop-hand duble-stop, then strut? What are you strutting about? You're supposed to play it clean. If you play it dirty, are you going to slink off and hide?

Please, I don't need an "in your face". I need you to act like you're supposed to be good. You don't see Yoyo Ma strutting around after he nails a cello solo.

Garry in Vegas

IMHO, Cadets were responsible for initiating this anoying habit several years ago, of percusion "grandstanding" after a solo. Some call it "showmanship?. I always thought it lacked class. Such boasting and bombastic behavior is unbecoming, and clownish, in the end.

Cadets would do well to end what they started, get back to throwing down serious licks, with class, and hopefully their continued position at the top of the activity will help others to follow suit.

AJMHO