Drum line body movement and strutting

IMHO, Cadets were responsible for initiating this anoying habit several years ago, of percusion "grandstanding" after a solo. Some call it "showmanship?. I always thought it lacked class. Such boasting and bombastic behavior is unbecoming, and clownish, in the end.

Not if they can pull it off.

I have no issue with that kind of showboating if a line plays a scary difficult lick and makes it as clean as a preacher's sheets (Almost anything Cadets played under Aungst comes to mind). It's when a line plays singles that sound like gravel in a dryer and then do the strut that I have an issue with.

I WILL agree, however, that it's over done...just as much as a really slow triplet double-stop (Gad....how many of those did we hear in 07??)

IMHO, Cadets were responsible for initiating this anoying habit several years ago, of percusion "grandstanding" after a solo. Some call it "showmanship?. I always thought it lacked class. Such boasting and bombastic behavior is unbecoming, and clownish, in the end.

Would you consider 2000 to be grandstanding? I only ask because some lines shouldn't have even been on the same charts as Cadets. Of course, my views on this are probably quite tainted since I was tech'd by a Cadet in '92.

You guys didn't have those angled fiberglass snares, did you? :shutup:

for a few of the years. therapy helped remove the damage tho

I know the guy you're talking about. Old friend, great drummer.

Hope he didn't beat you down too much that summer. :shutup:

Well, it eventually became like the Stockholm Syndrome :lol:

I owe a lot to MP. I think I know more about marching Cadets than anyone else who has never marched there. :)

Edited by atlvalet

for a few of the years. therapy helped remove the damage tho

Well, between you and me, Cru and Westshore were the 2 best lines in 1996. Both played a lot of notes for senior lines :shutup: And we didn't even dance around at all. We just PLAYED.

Thank you Chris Thompson for writing an awesome book for us. I've said it before, '96 was the most fun I've had drumming. EVER.

Edited by atlvalet

probably very true but those clear/yellow drums the John Bonham had in the 70's were pretty flippin powerful. He made them sing. Sometimes its not the instrument, its the player. I think it would be fun to see a really good line playing some really awful drums and make them sound good. Ludwig made the ones I remember, but I am having an old man moment and the model name is escaping me. Ultra-something? I can't remember.

They were Ludwig Vistalite drums. Here's a link to a website devoted to those clear, heavy things: http://www.vistalites.com/

Well, between you and me, Cru and Westshore were the 2 best lines in 1996. Both played a lot of notes for senior lines :shutup: And we didn't even dance around at all. We just PLAYED.

Thank you Chris Thompson for writing an awesome book for us. I've said it before, '96 was the most fun I've had drumming. EVER.

95 Cru was no slouch either

95 Cru was no slouch either

Not at all. But I didn't have the pleasure of marching in that snare line because I was still teaching high school drumlines in Indiana :)

Might have rather marched Cru :D

It's not OK for the Hornline either. This stuff may have been cool the 1st time it was done but it's old hat now.

Most corps actually march, should they stop doing that too.......no they shouldn't. Groups get judged on who does the set of skills better. Yes drumline body movement is kind of common......but so is most everything else corps do.