Standing up too much?

Ok, I was at finals last night, and an interesting situation presented itself.

During Crown, at the end of Puck, which was hot by the way, I saw some people beside me standing up to applaud a bit before they started Sensemaya. I was about to do the same, when the lady behind me, politely but firmly told me to sit down. I did so since I did not feel like starting an argument. But then when Crown was finishing their show, when the entire stadium was about to stand to give them a standing ovation, and I stood up, I saw her hand slowly reach for my back to tell me to sit back down again, before she saw the entire stadium standing up like me. This of course changed her mind.

Now I can understand this situation if the person behind me was physically disabled, but the lady behind was healthy and very able. The only other time where I might have seen my behavior disputable was Santa Clara's company front, since I was up cheering about 2 seconds before everyone sat up too. I may be wrong though. My question is: can one stand up and cheer too much in a show so that you are disrupting others?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is: can one stand up and cheer too much in a show so that you are disrupting others?

Sure. If you're sitting right in front of a person, and when you stand up you're blocking their view of the field.

Just consider it from the other perspective: Is it at all possible that you might possibly get annoyed if the tall guy sitting right in front of you kept standing up and blocking your view of the field?

Finding that fine line between expressing approval for the group on the field and being annoying to the people behind you is a brand new task at every show. Especially when you're tall, like I am.

Sure. If you're sitting right in front of a person, and when you stand up you're blocking their view of the field.

Just consider it from the other perspective: Is it at all possible that you might possibly get annoyed if the tall guy sitting right in front of you kept standing up and blocking your view of the field?

Finding that fine line between expressing approval for the group on the field and being annoying to the people behind you is a brand new task at every show. Especially when you're tall, like I am.

You know, the sad thing is that I have been asked to sit down at Colts games at Lucas Oil as well. I'm not surprised (unfortunately) that this happened.

I would tell the person that I am standing up because I appreciate the kids and their work. It's your right to stand up just as much as it's their right to sit down.

The kids on the field are TRYING to get you on your feet! They love it when you do so. They can see you, afterall.

If standing up annoys you, sit in the first row of your section. Or better yet, stand up yourself! Sheesh! :tongue:

My question is: can one stand up and cheer too much in a show so that you are disrupting others?

I say you can never stand up enough to show your appreciation. Especially on finals night!!! If I'm out there marching, I want to see people on their feet as much as I can. It pumps me up even more knowing that the crowd is into what we are doing.

I've had to stand up many times for corps I didn't care for just because my rear end was hurting.

You could have smiled and said you had to stand to keep your cheeks together to keep the gas in !

I could see how this would be a problem on any other night than finals night...but finals night is meant for the performers. They deserve every bit of standing ovations they can get.

On the same note, if you stand during a part that is not really meant for a standing ovation, then I could see how people could get PO'd.

I had some guy yank on my shirt last year at finals for standing. I think I was standing for the Scouts at some point and he didn't like it. I was a little miffed but it wasn't worth getting ###### off at him.

I've had to stand up many times for corps I didn't care for just because my rear end was hurting.

You could have smiled and said you had to stand to keep your cheeks together to keep the gas in !

Or asked her to squeeze them for you! :tongue:

STAND UP!!! The kids want you to stand up. I know I stood up as much as possible and when I marched, I wanted the fans to stand up as much as possible. Movement burns calories so STAND THE #### UP!!!