TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say!

I for one am glad 2009 is over. I didn't really care for a number of shows this year. Face it excitement is not a category Judges reward. My favorite corp changes each year because the show changes every year. Corps are trying to win to much. Forget entertainment its the number of wins that count. Hey!!!!!! Don't act like it ain't true LOL.....

TOP 10 THINGS WE ARE NOT SAYING ON HERE. BUT YA KNOW YOUR THINKIN IT.

1. I still don't see how a top 3 corp can remain in the top with a low drum score. The scoring is really messed up. LOL. I don't care who it is. That should not happen.

2. Drum lines need 2 judges. One in the box and one on the field. It keeps them from playing Sixteenth notes really clean and getting a perfect score. Some horn people might not get it, but drummers do.

3. What's up with the horn lines? Explain something to me why are they not coming off as powerful as they have in the past? Is it better quality sound you are getting or may be poor show design in 2009? I am not sure on that one. But I know I am not the only one who has thought it.

4. Is it better to be clean and boring or Dirty and exciting. What the heck is the GE score about anyway? hmmmm If you are running around the field making intricate shapes and designs and the crowd goes ooooooo, ahhhhhhhh you get a high score? Or is it you use all kinds of props add a little marching here a little there and you then become unique and therefore given a high GE score?

5. If drum corp as an activity is getting better, how come the crowds are getting smaller?

6. Do we need the designers of shows to explain the concept of a show to get it? :tongue: .... Really folks, in that case is the concept really that good?

7. What's wrong with having the crowd stand up and cheer after announcing the Champion? When Phantom won in 2008 everybody went crazy. I haven't seen a response like that in over 15 years. Point here shouldn't fans walk away feeling better about the competition?

8. If they change the judging system to reward shows more fan friendly don't you think it might increase the appeal of this activity and generate more cash, green, oil, Texas tea. Now the first thing you know old Jed's a millionaire the kin folks said.....oppps my bad.... got carried away.

9. Is anybody sick of seeing the same top 5 corps being placed in the top 5 year after year, after year, after year, after year. No... there is nothing wrong with the system sir. Just because between 3 corps they have won over 30 championships does not mean I am in the wrong officer.

10. Because BD won both Classes in undefeated seasons, they are guaranteed to not be liked for the next 2 season. Bad thing here is they will probably come out with shows that should be considered some of the best of all time next year. But it won't win, because of fan bias and judges getting ripped for 2009 season.

Let the discussion begin LOL!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOP 10:

1. Far less regional show tours means I go to less shows.

2. Ticket prices are too high ... period

3. Bring Back Kalamazoo!!!!!!!

4. Open the roof or I'm never going to finals

5. Whole Notes are NOT exciting

6. Bring back white pants with stripes (Coats, SCV, Scouts, etc etc etc.)

7. Higher bandwidth is needed on FN live broadcasts - 48K for sound is putrid

8. Get rid of the synths ........ period. Find a way to make the effect without pushing buttons.

9. Outlaw Pyware. Use a pencil and paper, it turns out much better when you have to use your brain to write it and see it before it becomes reality.

10. Get rid of Open Class OR Let them in Semi's. There's no longer an excuse.

Alternate #1 .... TURN DOWN THE PITS! Put a cap decibel limit on it please and thanks.

Edited by supersop

I for one am glad 2009 is over. I didn't really care for a number of shows this year. Face it excitement is not a category Judges reward. My favorite corp changes each year because the show changes every year. Corps are trying to win to much. Forget entertainment its the number of wins that count. Hey!!!!!! Don't act like it ain't true LOL.....

1. I still don't see how a top 3 corp can remain in the top with a low drum score. The scoring is really messed up. LOL. I don't care who it is. That should not happen.

Ok, are you telling me Vangaurd drumed better than cadets? Even with the fall? LOL NO WAY

Edited by oldtimedrummer

2. Drum lines need 2 judges. One in the box and one on the field. It keeps them from playing Sixteenth notes really clean and getting a perfect score. Some horn people might not get it, but drummers do.

3. What's up with the horn lines? Explain something to me why are they not coming off as powerful as they have in the past? Is it better quality sound you are getting or may be poor show design in 2009? I am not sure on that one. But I know I am not the only one who has thought it.

4. Is it better to be clean and boring or Dirty and exciting. What the heck is the GE score about anyway? hmmmm If you are running around the field making intricate shapes and designs and the crowd goes ooooooo, ahhhhhhhh you get a high score? Or is it you use all kinds of props add a little marching here a little there and you then become unique and therefore given a high GE score?

5. If drum corp as an activity is getting better, how come the crowds are getting smaller?

6. Do we need the designers of shows to explain the concept of a show to get it? :tongue: .... Really folks, in that case is the concept really that good?

7. What's wrong with having the crowd stand up and cheer after announcing the Champion? When Phantom won in 2008 everybody went crazy. I haven't seen a response like that in over 15 years. Point here shouldn't fans walk away feeling better about the competition?

8. If they change the judging system to reward shows more fan friendly don't you think it might increase the appeal of this activity and generate more cash, green, oil, Texas tea. Now the first thing you know old Jed's a millionaire the kin folks said.....oppps my bad.... got carried away.

9. Is anybody sick of seeing the same top 5 corps being placed in the top 5 year after year, after year, after year, after year. No... there is nothing wrong with the system sir. Just because between 3 corps they have won over 30 championships does not mean I am in the wrong officer.

10. Because BD won both Classes in undefeated seasons, they are guaranteed to not be liked for the next 2 season. Bad thing here is they will probably come out with shows that should be considered some of the best of all time next year. But it won't win, because of fan bias and judges getting ripped for 2009 season.

Let the discussion begin LOL!!!!!!!!!

3. It's called Bb horns instead of bugles. Huge difference.

4. Don't waste your time on the GE score, we've all given up. It's the biggest piece of non-sense in the activity today.

5. Economy is probably the biggest reason. DCI and show sponsors need to bite the bullet and lower the prices. Next season in Indy is going to be bad I fear.

7. This is the big debate, but Regiment was the darling of 2008. The Blue Devils in 2009 not so much so.

8. it wouldn't hurt to try it for one for two seasons. But I can understand the argument both ways. But I think it can be said that the adjudication system plays a big part in how the shows are designed. The question is, how do you reward crowd appeal?

10. All they need to do to fix this is to make their shows more appealing to the general audience, not just the judges. But I doubt that will happen soon as they are all about winning.

Ok, are you telling me Vangaurd drumed better than cadets? Even with the fall? LOL NO WAY

Don't care about Cadets, don't care about SCV, but as drummer you know either you lay it down or don't. You can't be in top 3 with a bad drum line performance. I don't know if they got ripped, or just choked on the field. But you should not be able to do that. COME ON MAN!!!!!!! LOL..... a tick is a tick. If ain't there it ain't no tick.

TOP 10:

1. Far less regional show tours means I go to less shows.

2. Ticket prices are too high ... period

3. Bring Back Kalamazoo!!!!!!!

4. Open the roof or I'm never going to finals

5. Whole Notes are NOT exciting

6. Bring back white pants with stripes (Coats, SCV, Scouts, etc etc etc.)

7. Higher bandwidth is needed on FN live broadcasts - 48K for sound is putrid

8. Get rid of the synths ........ period. Find a way to make the effect without pushing buttons.

9. Outlaw Pyware. Use a pencil and paper, it turns out much better when you have to use your brain to write it and see it before it becomes reality.

10. Get rid of Open Class OR Let them in Semi's. There's no longer an excuse.

Alternate #1 .... TURN DOWN THE PITS! Put a cap decibel limit on it please and thanks.

3. Please do.

5. Most shows end with them.