TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say!

As long as we are airing our thoughts on the 2009 season, my pick for the most boring corps of 2009 are (in no particular order;)

Cavaliers, Glassmen, Blue Knights, Madison Scouts, Crossmen and Pioneers. IMO, they were all boring with a capital B!

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but could you at least get them right. Pioneer does NOT have an "S" at the end.

Thank you

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LSO would not perform in a venue without proper acoustics.

I'm sure research would reveal that they have performed in open area venues (imperfect venues, acoustically). They have been around far too long for them not to have done so.

Edited by xrock80

so if you go and hate the sound, you should suck it up and go anyways.

that logic always fails to make sense to me

Corps perform in parades, and most marching bands sound horrible in parades, let alone a Drum Corps who's music and genre are geared at "Press Box side" performances. I bet if your favorite Corps was doing a parade close by, you'd go in support.

under that logic, since i hate country music, i should go anyways to support the groups. right??

Most music acts get their start in clubs and bars, which are acoustical nightmares, but some how, they fill the place, and some even make it.

No, not a morale imperative, I am just very supportive of the time, sweat, tears, and energy the kids put out in order to do this activity IE: Entertain you. What would you think would happen to the activity if the kids all of the sudden said "I don't want to be in Drum Corps this year because Lucas Oil Stadium won't open the dome","I'm not going back because they are switching from G bugles to Bb instruments", "I'm not going back because they are allowing the pit to be on the sidelines, instead of the field", "I'm not going back because they allow the corps to march up to 5 yards beyond the sidelines", "I'm not marching anymore because the Blue Devils won again..."

Seems like drum corps should have suffered major loss of participants years ago.... but i believe it still thrives...

Although some have walked away for each of those reasons -- fans and participants alike. Not enough to doom the activity, but that doesn't mean that those who did walk away were wrong. They just didn't find sufficient enjoyment anymore to justify their support. If enough people hit that point, then drum corps will suffer -- if not, then not. But what irks me is when someone feels the right to criticize another for what they do with their own time and money.

Just out of curiousity -- since it seems you are saying that none of those reasons you mentioned are sufficient reasons someone to choose to stop spending their own money on DCI -- what is an acceptable reason to you for someone to move on?

Corps perform in parades, and most marching bands sound horrible in parades, let alone a Drum Corps who's music and genre are geared at "Press Box side" performances. I bet if your favorite Corps was doing a parade close by, you'd go in support.

i hate parades. so i don't go

Most music acts get their start in clubs and bars, which are acoustical nightmares, but some how, they fill the place, and some even make it.

but people that don't like the sound don't go to those venues to see them.

Apples and oranges.... Parade goers expect to see only a few seconds of a corps with the horns facing away from them. And if they hate what they hear in a parade I doubt if they'd show up, even for the free price.

i hate parades. so i don't go

but people that don't like the sound don't go to those venues to see them.

Jeff -- you're missing the point ...

Because once in your life you $upported DCI, you must now continue in perpetuity because otherwise, you are just being mean to THE KIDS!!!

Who are you to claim that you no longer enjoy the product?? That's no excuse. A certain portion of your time and money belongs to DCI until they decree otherwise, so you better find something to like in that dome, because not going is just being selfish.

Edited by Liam

Jeff -- you're missing the point ...

Because once in your life you $upported DCI, you must now continue in perpetuity because otherwise, you are just being mean to THE KIDS!!!

nice :rock:

i supported DCI for many years. however i didnt sign a long term contract that stupidly had me locked into doing it.

why? because sometimes, DCI can #### up...regardless of the kids.

99% of the problems in the activity arent created by the kids anyways

I have one....

Colts were not only in competition with this year's Troopers, but 40 years of their history. I won't say Colts were better than Troop because I think it was a close and exciting match, but there was simply no way Colts were making finals over Troopers. The simple fact that Troopers were the Troopers secured that spot, which I think is disappointing.

I am too much of a chicken to start this one but I had been thinking the same thing since Atlanta. By my eyes and ears the Colts AND Academy were better than the Troopers this year. The funny things is that the last time I felt there was some advocacy judging was in 2007 for... Colts AND Academy.

I guess everything balances out in the eventually.

I'm sure research would reveal that they have performed in open area venues (imperfect venues, acoustically). They have been around far too long for them not to have done so.

Would they perform at the most important event to them every year in a poor acoustical setting?