TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say!

Just out of curiousity -- since it seems you are saying that none of those reasons you mentioned are sufficient reasons someone to choose to stop spending their own money on DCI -- what is an acceptable reason to you for someone to move on?

I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money. Do what you want with your money. If you have other interests, then by all means move on.

If one intends to be a part of Drum Corps in whatever way one chooses, at least be there for the kids, and yes, being a part of it does seem to include spending money. "Not opening the dome" is just a lackluster excuse to me. A person who has been a part of this activity for the better part of their life, either participant or spectator, can not simply just stay home. I guarantee most of the people in these forums who said "they will not go back to LOS", will be there next year, buying the aforementioned $12 (more than once) hot dog/popcorn and a coke, spending $40-$50+ at their favorite Corps' suvi booth and enjoying themselves at an evening of fantastic performances involving the best youth musicians/performers in the country, perhaps the world.

If you want to blame someone, blame DCI for poor judgment. Write letters, contact corps directors, be active and do something.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am too much of a chicken to start this one but I had been thinking the same thing since Atlanta. By my eyes and ears the Colts AND Academy were better than the Troopers this year. The funny things is that the last time I felt there was some advocacy judging was in 2007 for... Colts AND Academy.

I guess everything balances out in the eventually.

personnally I preferred the troopers show, and would have put Academy ahead of Colts based on Allentown shows. I don't know what the shows looked like finals week, but based on what I saw a week ago Troopers were the better corps.

I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money. Do what you want with your money. If you have other interests, then by all means move on.

If one intends to be a part of Drum Corps in whatever way one chooses, at least be there for the kids, and yes, being a part of it does seem to include spending money. "Not opening the dome" is just a lackluster excuse to me. A person who has been a part of this activity for the better part of their life, either participant or spectator, can not simply just stay home. I guarantee most of the people in these forums who said "they will not go back to LOS", will be there next year, buying the aforementioned $12 (more than once) hot dog/popcorn and a coke, spending $40-$50+ at their favorite Corps' suvi booth and enjoying themselves at an evening of fantastic performances involving the best youth musicians/performers in the country, perhaps the world.

If you want to blame someone, blame DCI for poor judgment. Write letters, contact corps directors, be active and do something.

Too late. Been warning of the "slippery slopes" for 10 years.

The only DCI show I attended this year was Middleton/Madison, and that was because our Kilties were there. And I hated/was saddened by much of what I saw.

I was a volunteer with Capital Regiment since they were a WGI drumline. I'm done with the DCI side of the activity, and recently explained this to Rick Bays. I cannot support what DCI has become, and that includes the individual corps.

DCA is "where it's at" for me.

Almost every gripe I've read on this board today is solved with "Go attend DCA instead... you'll have a much better time."

Before you all spout off about "the kids" - note that "the kids" are starting to flock to DCA because, financial and summer-job-wise, it makes sense.

Kilties had a huge influx of H.S. and college kids the last two years. I WONDER WHY? Could it be because it makes more sense (financially and time-wise), and is -- perhaps -- more fun???

I will probably never attend a DCI show again. Sorry. The kids can come over to DCA and I'll fully support them in our organizations.

DCI doesn't listen, and if they do, they let you into rules congress where staffers make fun of you under their breath

I guess I'll keep from ensuing further flaimage. If you are going to enjoy the activity, then enjoy. Please, don't let your disgust with DCI so encompass you that you miss what's going on on the field. Isn't that what it's all about?

-FIN

I guess I'll keep from ensuing further flaimage. If you are going to enjoy the activity, then enjoy. Please, don't let your disgust with DCI so encompass you that you miss what's going on on the field. Isn't that what it's all about?

-FIN

that's the problem...people couldnt enjoy what was going on the field because they had problems hearing and seeing it!!!!

I'll just say one general thing. I noticed (and appreciated) alot of corps this year

put their products over their concepts and it worked wonderfully. Take Bluecoats for

example - the concept was "Imagine" which hinted at surrealism, but the product was

so well constructed and performed, that even if a novice to the activity didn't know anything about

Magrite or Surrealism, they still appreciated and were blown away by the show. Same thing with

Vanguard. They had amazing flow and composition that was always hinting

at the theme, but wasn't heavy-handed with the concept. The idea served the show,

not the other way around. And bravo to the MANY other corps who caught onto this notion.

On the other hand, there were some corps that were married to their

concept, so much so, that the product was sacrificed when it didn't serve the storyline

or the concept. I think this is a huge mistake because great arranging and compositon

often takes a back seat to an idea (or worse - a really BAD idea) and leaves

people in the audience (and probably most judges) scratching their heads.

I hope 2010 sees the former trend continue and increase!

-FIN

Exactly -- that is what it's about. And if someone no longer enjoys what is going on on the field (or, I suppose, how what's going on on the field translates to them up in the stands) then it may no longer be worth it to them, that's all.

Look, there are lots of activities "for the kids" -- drum corps is just one. If one person supports cheerleading and another supports youth soccer and another supports scouting and another supports drum corps, they all do it for some enjoyment that they and/or their kids get out of it. When that enjoyment for the participant or the fan goes away, then they are likely no longer going to support it and might support something else "for the kids". Or not.

No one can say what stops the enjoyment for someone else and to attempt to do so is pretty arrogant, imo. If supersop doesn't like the sound in the dome to an extent that it makes the whole event unenjoyable to him, then that's it. Doesn't mean you or I can't enjoy it as we see fit, but certainly doesn't give us a right to say that his reason for not wanting to go back to Finals isn't good enough.

Edited by Liam

I did. Maybe not for the same reasons as others, and maybe not for the reasons you might guess, but I stayed home nonetheless. And will likely stay home next year as well. And the next.

I'm just curious if I have to state my reasons for staying home and somehow get them approved before you will allow me to stay home without criticism. Supersop doesn't like the sound in the dome. That's his reason. His reason apparantley isn't acceptable to you for him to not spend his money, so again, I'm curious what is an acceptable reason to you to see if my reasons pass.