DCI finals review

just returned home from finals....here is my review..........

general: big crowd

2 exhibitions.....Marines did a fine job presenting a show with variety and solid musicianship

Blue Devils B displayed a well-designed show with competence in all sections and show was well-performed

Troopers.....standing O welcoming the corps into finals..........they did a solid job tonight and put on an entertaining show.....some things

actually seemed a bit more solid....possibly because the pressure was off...........good job

Blue Knights.....I thought they did a good job tonight.....show is interesting musically and visually.....first major brass hit is huge.......I thought

they were stronger than Glassmen.......

Glassmen.........visual/CG and percusssion performance are their strengths. However, for me, the musical arrangements, especially the 2nd

half, are a bit lacking. Also, brass intonation issues remained, yet this shows up nowhere in the score........I felt they were overscored....

Blue Stars.......solid programming and a solid brass sound.....show is well-arranged with good variety......perc. seemed a tad cleaner tonight....

a solid show tonight.........

Phantom..........yes, the drill isn't the greatest this year.........however, their brass line and percussion section are superb....arrangements, demand, and

performance level are top drawer, and their placement in those captions remains a mystery.....9th in musical effect??? are you kidding me?

I felt that they should have been 7th.................

Boston..............entertaining show, and guard carries theme well........perhaps a few too many abrupt hits............solid in all segments, and arrangements

generally work......good job......

Bluecoats..............performed very well..........percussion demand is top shelf..........brass demand not quite that of other contenders....visual program

is good.....as I have stated before, perhaps not the best idea to repeat a tune that a competitor won a title with not too long ago.....

solid job.........

Santa Clara..........the most musical show on the field this year, as arrangement quality and continuity of musical thought, in both brass and percussion,

were 2nd to none, but not recognized by the music judges...........visual/guard presented the music in an outstanding manner.....

Cavies couldn't hold a candle to this show, but the judges disagree....................

Cavaliers..............great visual/guard show.............however, musical book is below the level of other contenders, and arrangements do not generate

the same level of musical communication/emotion as others, and dynamic range also was limited compared to others.....some brass

quality issues tonight.........should have been a "distant" 5th.....................

Cadets................really sold the show tonight.............visual demand is 2nd to none, but "chairs" apparently have much more demand...........

last minute of show is insane and brought the house down.............was performance "perfect" ?? No, but they did not

receive credit for the "what" of their program....tremendous demand on the move while playing, and some extremely exposed

segments both musically and visually, again, not fully credited...............solid job tonight......

Crown.................tremendous brass performance.....musical demands vastly superior to the Blue Devils.........no weakness in the show, and

they sold things very well tonight...........should have won the title edging the Cadets..............

Blue Devils..........well, I guess color guard rules (and they do have a great one), because the numbers in other captions given to this corps

this evening were ABSURD..............a perfect 20 in music effect???? Oh, yes, the epitomy of musical communication (yes, much

sarcasm intended).........pit is strong, but they carry way too much of the musical product, as does percussion....battery has much

demand........but program is choppy and certainly did not merit a 19.8, as yes, they play many notes, but it's not always very musical...

I find it unbelievable that a corps can come out, sit on chairs, pose on chairs, stand on chairs, and for a significant amount of time,

and that is deemed "state of the art" visual by the judging community.....................brass performance issues tonight, and to have them

within .2 of Carolina Crown's brass is truly laughable..........................I can't even comment on that score...............

GB

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 exhibitions.....Marines did a fine job presenting a show with variety and solid musicianship

Blue Devils B displayed a well-designed show with competence in all sections and show was well-performed

Troopers.....standing O welcoming the corps into finals..........they did a solid job tonight and put on an entertaining show.....some things

actually seemed a bit more solid....possibly because the pressure was off...........good job

Blue Knights.....I thought they did a good job tonight.....show is interesting musically and visually.....first major brass hit is huge.......I thought

Glassmen.........visual/CG and percusssion performance are their strengths. However, for me, the musical arrangements, especially the 2nd

half, are a bit lacking. Also, brass intonation issues remained, yet this shows up nowhere in the score........I felt they were overscored....

Blue Stars.......solid programming and a solid brass sound.....show is well-arranged with good variety......perc. seemed a tad cleaner tonight....

Phantom..........yes, the drill isn't the greatest this year.........however, their brass line and percussion section are superb....arrangements, demand, and

performance level are top drawer, and their placement in those captions remains a mystery.....9th in musical effect??? are you kidding me?

Boston..............entertaining show, and guard carries theme well........perhaps a few too many abrupt hits............solid in all segments, and arrangements

Bluecoats..............performed very well..........percussion demand is top shelf..........brass demand not quite that of other contenders....visual program

is good.....as I have stated before, perhaps not the best idea to repeat a tune that a competitor won a title with not too long ago.....

solid job.........

Santa Clara..........the most musical show on the field this year, as arrangement quality and continuity of musical thought, in both brass and percussion,

were 2nd to none, but not recognized by the music judges...........visual/guard presented the music in an outstanding manner.....

Cavies couldn't hold a candle to this show, but the judges disagree....................

Cavaliers..............great visual/guard show.............however, musical book is below the level of other contenders, and arrangements do not generate

the same level of musical communication/emotion as others, and dynamic range also was limited compared to others.....some brass

quality issues tonight.........should have been a "distant" 5th.....................

Cadets................really sold the show tonight.............visual demand is 2nd to none, but "chairs" apparently have much more demand...........

last minute of show is insane and brought the house down.............was performance "perfect" ?? No, but they did not

receive credit for the "what" of their program....tremendous demand on the move while playing, and some extremely exposed

segments both musically and visually, again, not fully credited...............solid job tonight......

Crown.................tremendous brass performance.....musical demands vastly superior to the Blue Devils.........no weakness in the show, and

they sold things very well tonight...........should have won the title edging the Cadets..............

Blue Devils..........well, I guess color guard rules (and they do have a great one), because the numbers in other captions given to this corps

this evening were ABSURD..............a perfect 20 in music effect???? Oh, yes, the epitomy of musical communication (yes, much

sarcasm intended).........pit is strong, but they carry way too much of the musical product, as does percussion....battery has much

demand........but program is choppy and certainly did not merit a 19.8, as yes, they play many notes, but it's not always very musical...

I find it unbelievable that a corps can come out, sit on chairs, pose on chairs, stand on chairs, and for a significant amount of time,

and that is deemed "state of the art" visual by the judging community.....................brass performance issues tonight, and to have them

within .2 of Carolina Crown's brass is truly laughable..........................I can't even comment on that score...............

GB

Good lord. God forbid you and the blue devils are the last people on earth together.

It looks like you pretty much copied and pasted your last years review of the blue devils.

Well, even if he did, they are accurate about BD.

Saaayyyyysss you two :tongue:

Great summary of the evening's performances. I concur...I think that you are RIGHT ON with your comments re: Phantom Regiment. :tongue:

Honestly, they should have been in 7th place.

In my opinion, it appeared that the judges did not duly reward them in the music caption as well as the changes made to this show.

Hi. I disagree with the results so I'm going shut off my brain, give in to my emotional knee-jerk reaction, and post some baseless opinions devoid of any logic or supporting facts about the champion and disguise it as a review.

:tongue:

Opinions are often baseless; however, this is allowed in any informal setting. This ain't no Forensics team....;)

A review is nothing but opinion; if the OP's opinion were that the Troopers should have won, then that would be his opinion, and it need not be based in fact. It would still be his review, and the people here would lend it credence, or not, based on those opinions This is art; almost everything about it is subjective and, as such, cannot be based entirely in fact. Only the base athletics can truly be judged fairly, and even that has pitfalls. The word "good" is now and as forever been up for grabs.

Blue Devils..........well, I guess color guard rules (and they do have a great one), because the numbers in other captions given to this corps this evening were ABSURD.......................................I can't even comment on that score...............

GB

The folks with whom you disagree have YEARS of training and experience. They had the best vantage point Saturday night. Please tell us what gives your conclusions more weight than theirs.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinions, as are all, but when they're so disjointed and based upon whatever it was YOU wanted rather than years of study, you don't bring anything intelligent to the table.

btw: Name me anything "state of the art" #2 #3 or #5 attempted.

To all of you who think the DCI judges are "out to get your corps," exactly what is in it for them? Bribery? Power? Some other evil significance? If that's what they seek, it's easier to achieve in Congress.

solid job.........

GB

:rock: 100% agree with your review and your take on placements. Overall, I dont know what message the judging community is sending but it is not one that I want the 2nd place and below corps to listen to........really, really dont.

And your comment about BD's color guard being great. Yes, they are clean. But being surrounded by my friends who marched and taught color guard for many years in DCI and WGI, including myself, their demand was similarly low compared to the other top corps. I was left as I was with the corp.....just wanting more.......

And before someone else "flames on" about all the BD comments from the peanut gallery at DCP, I would ask when else in history have you heard these arguments when BD won. Some people may not have particularly cared for them, but always respected what they were doing. This year is different and was evidence by the booing at the score, which I did participate in BTW. I really HOPE that BD comes out next year and rips our faces off and tears down the house like these used to. Really do. I also hope that all other corps stays true to this years programming......so great all the way down the line. Congrats to everyone!