DCI finals review

Wow not even Pegasus in the opener? You would have to be in a coma to not dig that piece.

true that was a cool 30 seconds

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pot kettle black sir, and if you hate DCp so much, we're not forcing you to post and/or read here

1) "The pot calling the kettle black" is generally used when the "pot" is displaying hypocrisy. With regards to what I posted, I can only assume you believe that my posts are worthless and closed minded. Could you provide something to back that up please? If you'd like to attack me, bring it on, but at least bring something to the table.

2) If you haven't noticed, I pop in pretty rarely now. "Drum Corps Planet" is hardly a fitting name for the community here, which I feel is very disproportionately representative of the drum corps fan base and more interested in broadcasting their "holier than thou" opinions than developing a compelling argument backed by reasonable supporting facts. Sadly, I don't see this changing any time soon, so I've found better things to do with most of my time.

Edited by MagicBobert

This is exactly the problem with the majority of people who participate here. They have their opinions, and by god nobody's going to change that. That makes these pages and pages and pages of discussion absolutely worthless.

Listening to opposing viewpoints is completely pointless if you're not willing to keep an open mind about what you're reading.

So unless people are in agreement with you they are not open-minded? I've seen the show, both live and online several times. . .and at Finals very up close. I think I'm right, and so do you. I guess this is where most people agree to disagree and move on.

There's something to admire in two people that can have a significant disagreement, yet still shake hands. Sometimes I admire that more than I admire someone who is able to change another's mind. There are a number of people on here with whom I disagree regularly, yet I'd gladly meet up with them at a show, or share a beer with them after.

So unless people are in agreement with you they are not open-minded? I've seen the show, both live and online several times. . .and at Finals very up close. I think I'm right, and so do you. I guess this is where most people agree to disagree and move on.

This is the problem. You're missing MagicBob's point. He wasn't saying "you must agree with me or your not open-minded", he was simply responding to the comment..."Count me in as one of those who it went in one ear and out the other" - What would you take that to mean if you were talking to your kid and he said that to you??? That's the problem here, no one's really hearing the other guy's viewpoint, it's filtered through our prejudice. AND there's way too much unsubstantiated finger pointing, sound bites with no meat and just plain angry posters looking to somehow make themselves feel better by hurting the corps that hurt them. MagicBob might be one of the few posters who almost religiously qualifies his comments with facts and so does Jeffsnewjetta (though recently he's been a bit crabby and short with his responses, but I'm sure that will pass. :thumbup: ).

I was misinterpreted on the "if not for the .025 three-peat" statement. I was merely trying to dramatize (not very well I guess) that BD has had a high level of accomplishment against a variety of top three contenders over three years. Not in any way a slight of PR's superb accomplishment last year.

I'm pretty sure that BD's success and acheivement has not gone overlooked by the drum corps community through the years. In fact they have motivated all the other corps to acheive at a consistently high level as well. :thumbup:

Congrats to BD for their 2009 World Championship! :devil:

1) "The pot calling the kettle black" is generally used when the "pot" is displaying hypocrisy. With regards to what I posted, I can only assume you believe that my posts are worthless and closed minded. Could you provide something to back that up please? If you'd like to attack me, bring it on, but at least bring something to the table.

not attacking you at all. stating a truth. you call others out for being inflexible and closed minded when you yourself have shown to be the same many, many times on here. if the truth is considering attacking, call me guilty.

2) If you haven't noticed, I pop in pretty rarely now. "Drum Corps Planet" is hardly a fitting name for the community here, which I feel is very disproportionately representative of the drum corps fan base and more interested in broadcasting their "holier than thou" opinions than developing a compelling argument backed by reasonable supporting facts. Sadly, I don't see this changing any time soon, so I've found better things to do with most of my time.

I had noticed. Fewer fights as a result. Yet, in your post earlier and this one, you do exactly that which you blast others for doing on here.

hence, pot, kettle black.

the prosecution rests your honor

I expect he was referring to 3:00 on the Allentown "on demand", 3:48 on Atlanta, or 2:28 on San Antonio. All three show the diagonal movement referenced and the guard work. Also, you will seethe drum line doing the same about 20 seconds before the footage noted above.

yes, there is some diagonal movement.........agreed.....however, I meant an entire diagonal passthrough...all the way through (ie everyone at once), but I did not spell that out in my original review, thus the misinterpretation..........sorry.......

GB

I don't know. However, keep in mind that if you have a euphonium pressed to your face, you can't SEE the chairs. So, marching diagonally through them at 170-180 bpm can be a problem if you (or the chairs) are not in the right position.

Also, keep in mind that ANY placement of the chairs is stationary for much longer than any drill set. So if it is not precise, the judges have a good long look.

As someone said before, there is more to difficulty than marching fast.

agreed that the movement in through the chairs can pose more difficulty than it looks.....disagreed that sitting, standing, slouching, or posing on the chair poses much difficulty, which is done for a significant amount of time..............

GB

DCP is a place where people can "freely" post their opinions and observations when reviewing performances, or anything involving the activity in other sections. Some people back up their opinions fairly insightfully, some people simply state them. I have read reviews that I fully agree with, and those which I hardly agreed with at all, but I defend the right for the writers to post them, and it is good to see that people have different viewpoints and do not always concur. Frankly, the only drum corps newspaper we have posts all "rosy" evaluations; it wasn't always that way, though. I realize that their intentions are good, as they do not wish to deject corps members during the season. DCP allows people to truly "critique" the corps, and write about what they felt was good, or bad, about anyone's performance. They can and do also comment about the competitive results of the show. I think that most reviewers do care that these are kids and not paid professionals, and it's rare to see a review which slams everyone, or doesn't at least find a few things good in a performance. Many are alumni themselves, so they have spent countless hours on a hot parking lot themselves. Some would say that nothing critical should be expressed, as the kids will read it. However, in the real world, EVERYTHING is critiqued; in the arts, we have performances of every kind critiqued, and I have read critiques that slammed performances that I loved, and raved over those I didn't enjoy at all. If you are a performer, you should expect for your performance to be critiqued, even at this level, and at higher levels that some of these kids will reach.

Much of the time, I think that many who write here do reflect the reactions of the fan base, but I do think some are out of touch. I have also read some things that come off as pretty absurd (but hey, I also liked the "Gong Show" when growing up) so that keeps it interesting. However, I don't think that ANYONE can possibly say if DCP writers reflect the views of the drum corps fan base short of polling the majority or all of the fans in attendance at any show or season-wide.

GB