DCI finals review

Bob,

Great review. your thoughts are yours, and if someone here disagrees, oh well. This is why many people don't do reviews anymore...too many bashers because the reviewer doesnt kiss their corps' ###. Well...I applaud you for saying what you felt ( a lot of which I agree with) and look forward to your reviews in the future

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm, methinks one should not assume about anothers qualifications,,,

You are entitled to your opinion, as I am, about the results of the show, but I do have to respond to some of the extremely inaccurate assumptions that you have made in your statements...........

agreed that nothing anybody did was state of the art, and thus not 99 worthy, but I can certainly tell you that "#2,4, and 5" were significantly better musically than the "champion".............

You refer to "years of study" for the judges......1st of all, I've been involved in the activity for over 32 years, have a masters degree in musical performance and a bachelors in music ed.....I marched for 2 years in a finalist and taught and arranged for two DCI corps....6 years for one and 2 years for another..... both finalists, winning two championships during that time. I'm a published arranger and judge elsewhere , and a clinician. I think I can say safely that I can talk intelligently about the product. You refer to the term "my corps" and "what I want".......I was never affiliated with the corps that I, and many others, felt should have won the show........... if my opinions of things are "so disjointed", I will leave you with this........a few years ago, in Madison, there were some highly questionable results happening in the musical captions. I was sitting with some musical people who are now in the DCI hall of fame......the one individual stood up, scratched his head, and said "I don't get it".............he was responded to by a very well-noted person who I will leave nameless, who replied, "the system is broken, isn't it"..............nothing could reflect it better................

GB

hmmm, methinks one should not assume about anothers qualifications,,,

We don't ( or shouldn't ) judge a review by a poster's ( "qualificatiions " ). Each poster brings their own unique experiences, trainining, etc to the review. If someone marched or was trained in ( say ) guard, we take with a grain of salt their review of the ( say ) lower brass performance in the show. Some never marched. Some marched and did percussion, but wouldn't know a thing about pitch and intonation in the brass line. Some come with an axe to grind, or with a Corps to prop up. Somebody that has a Masters's Degree in Music is no more " qualified " to judge guard as anyone else. But here's the thing. So what ? It doesn't matter. It's just his opinion, anyway. The judging panels have qualified judges with experience and training in each of the Corps sections. Peppitone doesn't know squat about Guard. So he didn't judge Guard. He judged percussion. And left the guard evaluation up to the Guard judge that is trained and experienced in guard. This OP loved the brass line of Crown. And guess what ?, so didn't the brass judges in Indy. He liked Phantom's brass line. Guess what ? relative to others, so didn't the brass judges in Indy. But as for guard, visual, pit, percussion, well, the OP gave his opinion, even though like many of us, he's not all that" qualified" in these areas. But that's cool too. None of us are " qualified " across the board in brass, percussion, visual design and execution, guard, dance, etc. But these " qualifications " don't matter really. Posters are telling us what and who they liked and didn't like. And that's cool. It's when they get into the placement and scores realm that we just need to relax and recognize the limitations inherent in one person judging ALL the sections and ALL the captions and telling us with certitude who should have placed where. Posters should be free to do this placement and scoring, but we can take it or leave it as well.

Edited by BRASSO

We don't ( or shouldn't ) judge a review by a poster's ( "qualificatiions " ). Each poster brings their own unique experiences, trainining, etc to the review. If someone marched or was trained in ( say ) guard, we take with a grain of salt their review of the ( say ) lower brass performance in the show. Some never marched. Some marched and did percussion, but wouldn't know a thing about pitch and intonation in the brass line. Some come with an axe to grind, or with a Corps to prop up. Somebody that has a Masters's Degree in Music is no more " qualified " to judge guard as anyone else. But here's the thing. So what ? It doesn't matter. It's just his opinion, anyway. The judging panels have qualified judges with experience and training in each of the Corps sections. Peppitone doesn't know squat about Guard. So he didn't judge Guard. He judged percussion. And left the guard evaluation up to the Guard judge that is trained and experienced in guard. This OP loved the brass line of Crown. And guess what ?, so didn't the brass judges in Indy. He liked Phantom's brass line. Guess what ? relative to others, so didn't the brass judges in Indy. But as for guard, visual, pit, percussion, well, the OP gave his opinion, even though like many of us, he's not all that" qualified" in these areas. But that's cool too. None of us are " qualified " across the board in brass, percussion, visual design and execution, guard, dance, etc. But these " qualifications " don't matter really. Posters are telling us what and who they liked and didn't like. And that's cool. It's when they get into the placement and scores realm that we just need to relax and recognize the limitations inherent in one person judging ALL the sections and ALL the captions and telling us with certitude who should have placed where. Posters should be free to do this placement and scoring, but we can take it or leave it as well.

The reason for my response was that a responder asserted that the musical judges at DCI had far more experience and knowledge in the area than I could possibly have........I am not tooting my own horn, but I will gladly go head to head with any musical judge in the activity..........you assume I am just a "brass" person....however, actually, percussion was my game, and I am also an accomplished pianist....although I didn't start studying brass seriously until college, I have participated on trumpet and was decent enough to make a Canadian Brass workshop for players at Eastman, and have arranged brass for a few corps, so I believe that I am qualified to talk rather intelligently about all of the music captions, including questioning results......you would be totally correct in stating that "visual/guard isn't my thing"....ironically, though, you will see that I complimented Devs for having a solid guard (and I believe that they won), and I also indicated that Phantom's visual package/design was a bit subpar to other top corps, which also happened. However, I, and many others, do question how a corps that came out and sat/posed on chairs for significant amounts of time, managed to win the visual captions across the board.........however, if other visual people tell me how great that is, I will just agree to disagree or say that "I don't get it"..........I am cool with anyone, regardless of their level of knowledge, expressing their perceptions, but to imply that I am coming to the table with the same or less level of knowledge/background as anyone else is a bit absurd....

GB

just returned home from finals....here is my review..........

general: big crowd

2 exhibitions.....Marines did a fine job presenting a show with variety and solid musicianship

Blue Devils B displayed a well-designed show with competence in all sections and show was well-performed

Troopers.....standing O welcoming the corps into finals..........they did a solid job tonight and put on an entertaining show.....some things

actually seemed a bit more solid....possibly because the pressure was off...........good job

Blue Knights.....I thought they did a good job tonight.....show is interesting musically and visually.....first major brass hit is huge.......I thought

they were stronger than Glassmen.......

Glassmen.........visual/CG and percusssion performance are their strengths. However, for me, the musical arrangements, especially the 2nd

half, are a bit lacking. Also, brass intonation issues remained, yet this shows up nowhere in the score........I felt they were overscored....

Blue Stars.......solid programming and a solid brass sound.....show is well-arranged with good variety......perc. seemed a tad cleaner tonight....

a solid show tonight.........

Phantom..........yes, the drill isn't the greatest this year.........however, their brass line and percussion section are superb....arrangements, demand, and

performance level are top drawer, and their placement in those captions remains a mystery.....9th in musical effect??? are you kidding me?

I felt that they should have been 7th.................

Boston..............entertaining show, and guard carries theme well........perhaps a few too many abrupt hits............solid in all segments, and arrangements

generally work......good job......

Bluecoats..............performed very well..........percussion demand is top shelf..........brass demand not quite that of other contenders....visual program

is good.....as I have stated before, perhaps not the best idea to repeat a tune that a competitor won a title with not too long ago.....

solid job.........

Santa Clara..........the most musical show on the field this year, as arrangement quality and continuity of musical thought, in both brass and percussion,

were 2nd to none, but not recognized by the music judges...........visual/guard presented the music in an outstanding manner.....

Cavies couldn't hold a candle to this show, but the judges disagree....................

Cavaliers..............great visual/guard show.............however, musical book is below the level of other contenders, and arrangements do not generate

the same level of musical communication/emotion as others, and dynamic range also was limited compared to others.....some brass

quality issues tonight.........should have been a "distant" 5th.....................

Cadets................really sold the show tonight.............visual demand is 2nd to none, but "chairs" apparently have much more demand...........

last minute of show is insane and brought the house down.............was performance "perfect" ?? No, but they did not

receive credit for the "what" of their program....tremendous demand on the move while playing, and some extremely exposed

segments both musically and visually, again, not fully credited...............solid job tonight......

Crown.................tremendous brass performance.....musical demands vastly superior to the Blue Devils.........no weakness in the show, and

they sold things very well tonight...........should have won the title edging the Cadets..............

Blue Devils..........well, I guess color guard rules (and they do have a great one), because the numbers in other captions given to this corps

this evening were ABSURD..............a perfect 20 in music effect???? Oh, yes, the epitomy of musical communication (yes, much

sarcasm intended).........pit is strong, but they carry way too much of the musical product, as does percussion....battery has much

demand........but program is choppy and certainly did not merit a 19.8, as yes, they play many notes, but it's not always very musical...

I find it unbelievable that a corps can come out, sit on chairs, pose on chairs, stand on chairs, and for a significant amount of time,

and that is deemed "state of the art" visual by the judging community.....................brass performance issues tonight, and to have them

within .2 of Carolina Crown's brass is truly laughable..........................I can't even comment on that score...............

GB

I agree with 95% of your review. I must make a few comments though.

Troopers - One Hand, One Heart - the most beautiful ballad arrangement of the year. Simply stunning brass writing. IMHO that arrangement kept them ahead of Colts who's Ebb Tide was not quite that good.

BK - the 3 went down collision at the begining of their show probably kept them from overtaking G-men

GM - Its time to bring back the boring t-shirts

PR - the concensus of people I spoke with - they were scored too low in brass and percussion.

SCV - best show design of the year - this was truly a piece of art. BRAVO. This is the show people will talk about 10 years from now.

Cavies, Cadets, Crown - I thought their placements in realation to each other were correct.

BD - agree 100%

Saaayyyyysss you two :rock:

Wow.

Less bias, more content!

the most bias i'm seeing in this thread is from BD FMM's in their responses to his review!

good review, I agree with almost all of it.

thought PR should have been 7th as well, their guard and Visual GE, and visual ensemble scores were right on, however they got kicked in the crotch with the music scores, really don't agree with that but I guess it doesn't matter too much....

CROWN will be my champions this year

The reason for my response was that a responder asserted that the musical judges at DCI had far more experience and knowledge in the area than I could possibly have........I am not tooting my own horn, but I will gladly go head to head with any musical judge in the activity..........you assume I am just a "brass" person....however, actually, percussion was my game, and I am also an accomplished pianist....although I didn't start studying brass seriously until college, I have participated on trumpet and was decent enough to make a Canadian Brass workshop for players at Eastman, and have arranged brass for a few corps, so I believe that I am qualified to talk rather intelligently about all of the music captions, including questioning results......you would be totally correct in stating that "visual/guard isn't my thing"....ironically, though, you will see that I complimented Devs for having a solid guard (and I believe that they won), and I also indicated that Phantom's visual package/design was a bit subpar to other top corps, which also happened. However, I, and many others, do question how a corps that came out and sat/posed on chairs for significant amounts of time, managed to win the visual captions across the board.........however, if other visual people tell me how great that is, I will just agree to disagree or say that "I don't get it"..........I am cool with anyone, regardless of their level of knowledge, expressing their perceptions, but to imply that I am coming to the table with the same or less level of knowledge/background as anyone else is a bit absurd....

GB

You are "coming to the table with the same or less level of knowledge/ background as anyone else " on the Guard, Visual Perf., GE Visual side. You took the time to spell out your qualifications. You have no more knowledge of guard, guard equipment work, flag, dance, visual design, visual execution, visual demand, visual ensemble, and so forth as the next person. You gave a previous post esarlier in the season in whch you wanted a complete overhaul of the judging captions to place more emphasis on things in your background, ie the musical. You don't deny this do you ? Again, no problem with this. My point is that you look at these shows thru a musical prism, not a visual prism. Again, not a problem. Just that you have a bias. A bias toward the musical side of shows. I have a bias too. Mine is toward the visual, toward the creative visual, to the execution of the visual. As such, I can see why when a drummer falls down ( Cadets ), or when spacing, interval, cover, etc are a bit off off ( Cadets, Crown )..... it means more to me than to you. I don't pretend to tell brass musicians whose brass line is " better", just which ones I " liked ". I also don't place much stock in Musicians telling me which Corps executed a better overal visual show re. guard, dance, equipment work, etc. And the Blue Devils understand how the scores are weighted more toward the visual these days. They designed and executed a brilliant show to win based upon the criteria that has been established that every Corps is familiar with. If you don't like their show fine, no problem. But to hold out your MUSIC quailifications, while laudable as they are, is no qualification to state with certainty that the placements at the top were wrong. Your MUSIC qulifications are frankly no better nor no worse than anyone else regarding the overall placements here. And lest we forget, the Blue Devils were undefeated in 26 competitions this year, and among a multiplicity of combinations of judging panels. But if you know better than all of them, in all their captions, then good for you. No problem. It's your opinion. And thanks for expressing it.

Edited by BRASSO

Dude - it seems like you are upset in some way even though it appears " your corps " won?

The OP was questioned as to who is he to speak , and he responded , he did not try to bully pulpit anyone.

My favorite corps this year , The Cadets did not win , and I seem to be happier than you?

Thanks again to the reviewer , I felt like I was there.

Brass guy , why don't you find some BD things to be happy about instead of discouraging reviewers.

Edited by fecontra

I was at finals with an old friend who hadn't seen a drum corps show for almost 30 years. He was heavily involved back in the 60's and 70's and has sent me his review of the show--great perspective from an old timer. And absolutely NOT politically correct so please take it with good spirit. I think he catches highlights we think but do not speak!!! I have posted it below.....

Forward:

2009 DCI Championships BLOG

All opinions are strictly my own, but after careful analysis and consideration, I've concluded that they're all exactly right. So, quit cryin' and live with it!

· The show opened with an exhibition performance by the US Marine D&BC. This was a very knowledgeable audience and we all really respected the Marines. They are great, but, when you're used to corps with 150 members blowing your face off, 88 members is just kind of a letdown. A very traditional show. Drill was mostly straight lines. Old-timers like us would recognize it! HOWEVER, when they closed with Sousa's "Stars and Stripes Forever" THAT brought the audience to our feet! THAT'S what you expect out of the Marines! They left the field playing the Halls of Montezuma. WOW! The drum major out front with his six-foot chrome standard with the Marine Corps globe on top. the audience ate it up! There are just certain things you expect from the Marines. They delivered!

· There was also an exhibition by the Open class champs, the Blue Devils B. But, that’s when I hit the john so I wouldn’t miss any of the rest of the show!

When you would have thought anyone’s “B” corps would win a national championship?

Ø 12th place - 85.10 - Troopers

The audience was WAITING for the Troop. After a 23-year absence from the DCI Finals, everyone was really glad to see them back. They played a show themed "Western Side Story". Did their old sunburst which brought the crowd up again. As you expect from the Troop... very sharp drill and a high "coolness factor". A good way to start the show. Looking forward to seeing the Troop climb the ladder back to the top again!

Ø 11th place - 86.45 - Blue Knights, Denver CO

Guard wore tight fitting ski outfits. What can I say?

Ø 10th place - 87.75 - Glassmen, Toledo OH

Ø 9th place - 89.70 - Phantom Regiment

I already commented on Facebook but, I think Phantom got the place they deserved this time. They're not quite as "classical" as some years, but still very classy, as always. Some real nice jazz this year. Sops were a little sloppy, as were the snares. But, big horns and contras were great. Their quads were the best percussion of the night! They had been "up-and-down" at practice all week. Tonight was just "down". Sorry to all you local Phantom fans. But, remember... my opinions are exactly right!

Ø 8th place - 90.05 - Blue Stars

One of my two personal favorite shows. A real crowd pleaser, if not the best corps out there. Their theme is "The Office" and they set a dozen or so full-sized desks and chairs on the field as props. I could do without the props. They're more distracting than anything else. They also use some kind of recorded voice saying something. But, I couldn't make it out and the use of electronics is a real controversy this year. REAL nice drum line! Liked Blue Stars show very much. Lose the props.

Ø 7th place - 90.70 - Boston Crusaders

All I can say is... VERY well-fitting guard uniforms! EXTREMELY well-fitting! Was the rest of the corps even out there? It was hard to notice.

Actually, Boston has a very controversial show this year, because of the guard. Their theme is "Seduction" and that's exactly what the guard tries to do to the audience, and the rest of the corps. This was NOT your typical east coast guard! No skirts down below their knees. Hell… no skirts AT ALL! Lots of dancing and that's kind of distracting from the rest of the corps. But, it's still the BIG, clean horn show you'd expect from Boston ... if you can get past the guard to notice.

Ø 6th place - 93.15 - Bluecoats, Canton OH

Ø 5th Place - 95.65 - SC Vanguard

After Boston 's guard, SCV was MY favorite show of the night! Very sophisticated, as usual, but still very crowd pleasing. Fantastic drumline, as always. I thought the best of the night. Not "too" much fancy dancing and other distracting stuff. LOVED their show! Took the Best DM award.

Ø 4th place - 96.15 – Cavies

To all you Chicagoans I apologize in advance but, their show was a real sleeper this year. They were going for the "controlled" image and they got it... at the expense of any emotion. And, as I've come to expect, their guard was just WAY TOO flaming for me! Dressed like mountain climbers, dancing with ropes belonged around Belmont and Clark, not on the field. Yaaawwwwnnn!

Ø 3rd place - 97.20 - Holy Name Cadets, Allentown PA

Good old Garfield ! Looked as good as ever. They did an all West Side Story show I loved. But, not the same old WSS corps have been doing for 40 years. They played some of the songs from WSS that you never hear. And, the arrangement was totally different. Really brought home the feeling of conflict and struggle WSS is all about. I hear there is a new arrangement of West Side Story out in the theaters now. This was probably it. I like this show tremendously.

Ø 2nd place - 97.50 - Carolina Crown, Ft. Mill SC

The big crowd favorite, but I just didn't get it, myself. They won the award for favorite corps in the fan voting. And took the horn caption. But, those funky uniforms almost made be bring up dinner. I've got to admit, though, their show was great. I picked them to upset BD and win the whole enchilada. But, with those uniforms… I shouldn’t say “enchilada.”

Ø 1st place - 99.05 - Blue Devils

It's been obvious for half the season that DCI wanted BD to win this year. They took every other caption tonight: Percussion, Color Guard, GE, and Visuals. I didn't think their drumline was anywhere near the best. Sloppy snares IMHO. But, drum corps hasn't changed that much in 35 years. You pretty much know that whoever they want to win is going to win.

Other BLOG...

o The Lucas Oil Stadium is a really nice venue for the show. But, all the comments about the acoustics are pretty much correct. DCI raised a big black drape along the entire back side of the field, about 20 feet tall, to help the sound. I think that was a good idea. But, the indoor venue really accentuates the lower register. Drums can sound overpowering, even when most of them aren't playing. Big horns and drums can echo for 3-5 seconds after a big release. I don't know that opening the roof at The Luke would entirely fix it, either. I'd like to hear the show outdoors. It sounded better the closer you got to the 50 yard line. But, out along the 5 where I sat you missed some. It wasn't "terrible" though.

o A big controversy this year is the use of electronics on the field. And, I don't mean just an electronic keyboard. I mean a complete synthesizer and mixer with mikes and full-blown speaker setups with giant subwoofers. Some of the corps have their own sound engineer running a giant sound board off field! They're actually picking up the corps with the mikes, enhancing the sound the way they want, and piping it back to the audience through the speakers! This is just NOT RIGHT!!!

I don't mind the judicious use of a little dancing or voice to enhance the total show. I can do without the keyboards. But, full electronic enhancement of the show is OUTRAGEOUS! We should all bombard DCI with mail and make them ban this electronic enhancement immediately!

o After the show my friend and I jumped over the chains and cruised the parking lot for quite a while. This part of drum corps is exactly the same as it ALWAYS has been. Hundreds of kids celebrating… or crying. Saying good bye for another year to friends from all over the country. The aging out kids all crying because they won’t be back. Exhausted, sweaty kids changing clothes and putting away their instruments onto equipment trucks. THE SMELL OF DIESEL FUMES FROM 50 BUSSES AND TRUCKS ALL RUNNING AT THE SAME TIME. God, I miss diesel fumes!

We caught up and chatted with a lot of friends from “the old days” who are teaching, managing, or have their kids in drum corps now. My friend got to shake the hand of the Blue Star’s National Champion snare drummer. And, got the meet Phantom’s girl in the red dress with the violin. My friend used to march with her parents. I got to play with the violin! She calls it “Chunk.”

o After the show we crashed the VIP after-party at the Slippery Noodle. When the bouncer wouldn't let us in for not having the correct VIP passes, my friend shouts,

"Are you kidding? We're ALUMNI! I marched in the Vanguard, Blue Stars and Kilties! He marched in Nisei for crissake! Jeez!"

The bouncer looked around for a minute, then said... "Alumni? You're ok."

I haven't crashed a bar party in probably 30 years! It felt great to be a kid again... for one night. And, it was good for my kids to know daddy can still party ‘til 3am!

o It was fun to shoot the breeze with other alumni who marched around the same time, and in the Midwest . So, they all knew Nisei!

"Oh yeah... Neesee. What ever happened to that hot DM with the long black hair?" (No offense, Linda, but you're still famous in some circles!)

o Met a guy who marched a long time with... get this... the Polish Falcon Cadets! I asked him to try to find me a t-shirt. Reminded me of our the "Polish Kamikaze" shirts!

I will DEFINITELY be at the show for as long as it's in Indy. I'll try to plan earlier and get better seats next year. It was fairly crowded. I guess between 25-30 thousand.

I'll offer my backyard again next year for any old Nisei and families who want to come down. You should all try to do a DCI championship as long as it's fairly close. It's the best time I've had in years!

And that's the skinny from the Midwest.

Edited by tommyfromhowardst

Bob, I loved your review. Thanks a lot for the unbiased opinions.

I'm a drum corps oldtimer, marched in the 60s and 70s. So, my opionions are certainlly not as knowledgeble as some others. but, I like what I like and I "used" to be a corps "expert"...over 30 years ago!

I've been to just a few corps shows over the past 30 years. My review is posted by my friend "TommyfromHowardStreet", but it's my opinion, not necesaruly his. (Thanks Tom!).

You obviously have some current, knowledgeable opinions. I think you thought more highly of Phantom than I did. And, I grew up in Illinois drum corps so I'm certainly not a Phantom-basher. But, I just didn't feel their show was as clean as you think it was.

We seem to agree on SCV. I've ALWAYS liked SCV, from the years they first hit the Midwest until now. Always sophisticated, yet crowd-pleasing. Being an old drummer I appreciate their top-notch percussion.

As far as the Cavies go, I just couldn't agree on their guard/visual show. I just find them more distracting than contributing to the overall show. But, we seem to agree that their musical show just wasn't up to the par of others at this level of competition. At least not this year. But, for 50 years you NEVER count the Cavies out. They always come back!

I agree on excellent show of the Cadets. Very sophisticated, yet still thrills an old-timer like me! I've liked their big horn shows for 35 years.

And, I agree I didn't understand the chairs of the BD, or how they got the unrealistic (at least I think so) scores they did. but, even before DCI existed you could usually tell ahead of time who was going to win the big championships. Whoever is supposed to win usually does.

From an old-timer standpoint, though, I REALLY loved the sophistication of the drum corps crowd. Of course, most people have their own favorites. And, some people ignore everyone else and think "their corps" is perfect. But, overall, drum corps fans are still the most open minded, and best fans of any sport. They were always willing to discuss the ups and downs of every corps. We all argued over our opinions. But, after MANY years I still enjoyed the crowd! And, cruising the parking lot after the show... the "end-of-the-season" emotion hasn't changed in 35 years! It was touching to see hundreds of kids saying goodbye to other kids from all over the country. Celebrating... or crying. Sad the season is over and already chomping at the bit for next season. I remember that well and it may be the thing I miss most about drum corps. Everything else changes... but the important things never do. :rock:

And, GOD, do I miss the smell of diesel fumes!

just returned home from finals....here is my review..........

general: big crowd

2 exhibitions.....Marines did a fine job presenting a show with variety and solid musicianship

Blue Devils B displayed a well-designed show with competence in all sections and show was well-performed

Troopers.....standing O welcoming the corps into finals..........they did a solid job tonight and put on an entertaining show.....some things

actually seemed a bit more solid....possibly because the pressure was off...........good job

Blue Knights.....I thought they did a good job tonight.....show is interesting musically and visually.....first major brass hit is huge.......I thought

they were stronger than Glassmen.......

Glassmen.........visual/CG and percusssion performance are their strengths. However, for me, the musical arrangements, especially the 2nd

half, are a bit lacking. Also, brass intonation issues remained, yet this shows up nowhere in the score........I felt they were overscored....

Blue Stars.......solid programming and a solid brass sound.....show is well-arranged with good variety......perc. seemed a tad cleaner tonight....

a solid show tonight.........

Phantom..........yes, the drill isn't the greatest this year.........however, their brass line and percussion section are superb....arrangements, demand, and

performance level are top drawer, and their placement in those captions remains a mystery.....9th in musical effect??? are you kidding me?

I felt that they should have been 7th.................

Boston..............entertaining show, and guard carries theme well........perhaps a few too many abrupt hits............solid in all segments, and arrangements

generally work......good job......

Bluecoats..............performed very well..........percussion demand is top shelf..........brass demand not quite that of other contenders....visual program

is good.....as I have stated before, perhaps not the best idea to repeat a tune that a competitor won a title with not too long ago.....

solid job.........

Santa Clara..........the most musical show on the field this year, as arrangement quality and continuity of musical thought, in both brass and percussion,

were 2nd to none, but not recognized by the music judges...........visual/guard presented the music in an outstanding manner.....

Cavies couldn't hold a candle to this show, but the judges disagree....................

Cavaliers..............great visual/guard show.............however, musical book is below the level of other contenders, and arrangements do not generate

the same level of musical communication/emotion as others, and dynamic range also was limited compared to others.....some brass

quality issues tonight.........should have been a "distant" 5th.....................

Cadets................really sold the show tonight.............visual demand is 2nd to none, but "chairs" apparently have much more demand...........

last minute of show is insane and brought the house down.............was performance "perfect" ?? No, but they did not

receive credit for the "what" of their program....tremendous demand on the move while playing, and some extremely exposed

segments both musically and visually, again, not fully credited...............solid job tonight......

Crown.................tremendous brass performance.....musical demands vastly superior to the Blue Devils.........no weakness in the show, and

they sold things very well tonight...........should have won the title edging the Cadets..............

Blue Devils..........well, I guess color guard rules (and they do have a great one), because the numbers in other captions given to this corps

this evening were ABSURD..............a perfect 20 in music effect???? Oh, yes, the epitomy of musical communication (yes, much

sarcasm intended).........pit is strong, but they carry way too much of the musical product, as does percussion....battery has much

demand........but program is choppy and certainly did not merit a 19.8, as yes, they play many notes, but it's not always very musical...

I find it unbelievable that a corps can come out, sit on chairs, pose on chairs, stand on chairs, and for a significant amount of time,

and that is deemed "state of the art" visual by the judging community.....................brass performance issues tonight, and to have them

within .2 of Carolina Crown's brass is truly laughable..........................I can't even comment on that score...............

GB