DCI finals review

Reality Check:

- The judges (across the country, over seven weeks) found the Blue Devils 2009 show to be superior in many ways (across the captions) both esthetically and in terms of complexity and performance. BD was opposed all summer by arguably the most intense drill designs in recent memory and prevailed handily. There is no argument about that! NONE!

- In addition, the finals scores (1.65 spread between 1st & 2nd) were, in my view, a loud and clear signal to the drum corps designers (and perhaps the posters on this thread)..."Pay Attention!!" They could have rewarded BD by a few tenths and we all would've moved on, but they didn't.

Take that to mean what you want it to mean, but for me it's pretty #### clear!

aesthetics is pure opinion...a judge's grasp on aesthetics is no better than a fan's grasp on aesthetics. Aesthetics is PURE opinion..nothing scientific about it.

what the above proves is that if you know the formula, you can win, no matter how boring the show is...

(and I like BD)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just returned home from finals....here is my review..........

general: big crowd

2 exhibitions.....Marines did a fine job presenting a show with variety and solid musicianship

Blue Devils B displayed a well-designed show with competence in all sections and show was well-performed

Troopers.....standing O welcoming the corps into finals..........they did a solid job tonight and put on an entertaining show.....some things

actually seemed a bit more solid....possibly because the pressure was off...........good job

Blue Knights.....I thought they did a good job tonight.....show is interesting musically and visually.....first major brass hit is huge.......I thought

they were stronger than Glassmen.......

Glassmen.........visual/CG and percusssion performance are their strengths. However, for me, the musical arrangements, especially the 2nd

half, are a bit lacking. Also, brass intonation issues remained, yet this shows up nowhere in the score........I felt they were overscored....

Blue Stars.......solid programming and a solid brass sound.....show is well-arranged with good variety......perc. seemed a tad cleaner tonight....

a solid show tonight.........

Phantom..........yes, the drill isn't the greatest this year.........however, their brass line and percussion section are superb....arrangements, demand, and

performance level are top drawer, and their placement in those captions remains a mystery.....9th in musical effect??? are you kidding me?

I felt that they should have been 7th.................

Boston..............entertaining show, and guard carries theme well........perhaps a few too many abrupt hits............solid in all segments, and arrangements

generally work......good job......

Bluecoats..............performed very well..........percussion demand is top shelf..........brass demand not quite that of other contenders....visual program

is good.....as I have stated before, perhaps not the best idea to repeat a tune that a competitor won a title with not too long ago.....

solid job.........

Santa Clara..........the most musical show on the field this year, as arrangement quality and continuity of musical thought, in both brass and percussion,

were 2nd to none, but not recognized by the music judges...........visual/guard presented the music in an outstanding manner.....

Cavies couldn't hold a candle to this show, but the judges disagree....................

Cavaliers..............great visual/guard show.............however, musical book is below the level of other contenders, and arrangements do not generate

the same level of musical communication/emotion as others, and dynamic range also was limited compared to others.....some brass

quality issues tonight.........should have been a "distant" 5th.....................

Cadets................really sold the show tonight.............visual demand is 2nd to none, but "chairs" apparently have much more demand...........

last minute of show is insane and brought the house down.............was performance "perfect" ?? No, but they did not

receive credit for the "what" of their program....tremendous demand on the move while playing, and some extremely exposed

segments both musically and visually, again, not fully credited...............solid job tonight......

Crown.................tremendous brass performance.....musical demands vastly superior to the Blue Devils.........no weakness in the show, and

they sold things very well tonight...........should have won the title edging the Cadets..............

Blue Devils..........well, I guess color guard rules (and they do have a great one), because the numbers in other captions given to this corps

this evening were ABSURD..............a perfect 20 in music effect???? Oh, yes, the epitomy of musical communication (yes, much

sarcasm intended).........pit is strong, but they carry way too much of the musical product, as does percussion....battery has much

demand........but program is choppy and certainly did not merit a 19.8, as yes, they play many notes, but it's not always very musical...

I find it unbelievable that a corps can come out, sit on chairs, pose on chairs, stand on chairs, and for a significant amount of time,

and that is deemed "state of the art" visual by the judging community.....................brass performance issues tonight, and to have them

within .2 of Carolina Crown's brass is truly laughable..........................I can't even comment on that score...............

GB

Such an objective review! Your comments are laughable at best.

Well, even if he did, they are accurate about BD.

your opinion is so surprising coming from a Crown alumni. Go cry in your pillow that Crown placed 2nd and were (I suppose) robbed by the judges. SOUR GRAPES FYI... This fan loved BD and their brilliant use of the chairs.

Such an objective review! Your comments are laughable at best.

Rule #1 - Reviews are not required to be objective. If they were, this would be the "DCP objective review forum". Since its not, i'll pretty much disregard you first comment

Rule #2 - Thinking that the 2nd place corps was better than the 1st place corps is not new, funny, unusual, or unbelievable. Not agreeing with judges is hardly grounds to be considered outrageous or laughable...if anything I would think that saying 'the judges NAIL IT all the time' would be more laughable.

Rule #1 - Reviews are not required to be objective. If they were, this would be the "DCP objective review forum". Since its not, i'll pretty much disregard you first comment

Rule #2 - Thinking that the 2nd place corps was better than the 1st place corps is not new, funny, unusual, or unbelievable. Not agreeing with judges is hardly grounds to be considered outrageous or laughable...if anything I would think that saying 'the judges NAIL IT all the time' would be more laughable.

His review was a review until he started talking about BD. Then it was just a rant.

aesthetics is pure opinion...a judge's grasp on aesthetics is no better than a fan's grasp on aesthetics. Aesthetics is PURE opinion..nothing scientific about it.

what the above proves is that if you know the formula, you can win, no matter how boring the show is...

(and I like BD)

Boring is PURE opinion....not related to winning or losing in any way. Imagine someone walking out of a jazz club after seeing Miles Davis perform..completely drained and emotionally overwhelmed from seeing him performance, and his date says...."Man, that was boring!" It doesn't mean that it is, it can simply mean that the observer doesn't have the "frame of reference" to understand - In short, boring is in the eye and ear of the beholder.

Also, if by "formula" you mean: designing a show (beginning to end) that is balanced, musically creative, performance challanging and visually unique...then, yes.

His review was a review until he started talking about BD. Then it was just a rant.

In a way....although the top corps usually get the most devoted space in a review. Some people go to shows and only review the top 2 or 3 corps (sometimes because they watch warmups and miss the others), so this is nothing new. I wouldnt take it quite as far as he did, mainly with how unbalanced the review was (I would have ranted about WAY more stuff :tongue: ), but hey, its not my review...

• 5 weeks later...
Well... asking me to "go and enjoy the championship" is like saying "there, there little fella, your viewpoints are tiresome to us DCP gophers and you're failing to recognize your job as a BD fan...sit there and take it, it's part of the deal on DCP. We say stuff about winning corps (except our favorites of course) and you take it!

If you and the OP don't like my answers, I won't know what to do with myself! :lle: I'm not really replying to you anyway, I'm just not letting your viewpoints lay there unchallenged. They're just wrong! You call what I post as "ranting" and I would then presume by comparison your posts are thoughtful, well disciplined statements, laced with wisdom, facts and reality. I'm not part of any Borg, I assure you and don't know what the hell that is. I'm simply a fan of the activity who likes BD and other corps and when I hear nonsense trotted out like the OP is attempting to foist, I say something. "Solidify the conspiracy"... yet another "borgism"??? You don't debate very well do you?

And by the way, I probably have shoes as old as you, that I still use! Ed Wood was the producer/director of "Plan 9 from Outer Space" one of the great bad science fiction movies of all time! Got any other test questions??? :lle:

This thread has devolved... :tongue:

**sigh** This is totally why I try to stay away from here.

We haven't seen so MANY sore losers.

Class :tongue:

BD moved more than anyone except Cadets this year. Just going to reiterate that point.

:tongue: