DCI finals review

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

INRE: BD Winning.

Seriously. This does not pass the straight-face test. Kudos to the members of BD for performing the heck out of their show. Shame on DCI for rewarding the content of the show in the manner that they did. Do we really want the rest of the corps to take their cue from what DCI is telling them? Why work your butt off trying to perform a demanding visual show when you can score better with a more pedestrian presentation. If chairs are good maybe sofas would be even better. That way you can have 3 people on it instead of just one. Show co-ordinators please feel free to run with this idea. You know you want to. :rock:

The folks with whom you disagree have YEARS of training and experience. They had the best vantage point Saturday night. Please tell us what gives your conclusions more weight than theirs.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinions, as are all, but when they're so disjointed and based upon whatever it was YOU wanted rather than years of study, you don't bring anything intelligent to the table.

btw: Name me anything "state of the art" #2 #3 or #5 attempted.

To all of you who think the DCI judges are "out to get your corps," exactly what is in it for them? Bribery? Power? Some other evil significance? If that's what they seek, it's easier to achieve in Congress.

Interesting that you left off #4... I don't think he was saying that the other groups were state of the art, but was questioning some of the perfect scores. Of course, these scores do not mean they were perfect, but are a spread that puts BD ahead in these captions. Some judges just do not leave enough room.

Also, did he state how much experience he has? It seems to me that he could be educated, but I guess we are just assuming here. I have met some/know some of the judges and yes, there are some fans that are just as qualified as those guys with tape recorders. Sorry to burst your bubble.

With that being said, BD was certainly the cleanest and best executing corps on the field. It appears that is what the judges are looking for more in a show now-a-days.

I have no problem with BD, or any other corps, getting proper credit if they are technically clean, but there is no way they should be getting such high marks in the opinionated captions and subcaptions. Their drill design is subpar in comparision with the rest of the top tier and has been for DECADES. As a "visual guy", I found the bright white chairs to be visually distracting vs. the darkly clad corps proper, especially from up high when they were dosey-doeing around them. Spending too much time playing on and posing on the and around the chairs lowers their demand, anyone can play clean sitting down. I found the music, which contained some familiar tunes, to be disappointing. I found the arrangements of those familiar tunes to be rather blah. Didn't do it for me GE wise. Bottom-line, most people disagree they were overscored for what the product was. It may have been clean (easy shows usually are), but it is probably the most forgettable championship show ever. Too bad, I know those kids pored their hearts and souls into it, but in the eyes of many, were given an inferior product. I wouldn't have scored them above 3rd.

Decades ?? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Jay Murphy is a genius and Todd Ryan is a God, simple as that. Sometimes I dont understand certain ideas but the development, presentation, execution and effect of said ideas are second to none...sure Cavies and Cadets can "tear it up" but the Blue Devils present a program that is as sharp as a surgeons knife, and...oh, yes, that other thing that all other corps lack at some time or another, and is a fact ::::: CONSISTENCY !!!!!!!! Pick any year, watch finals night, they never have blatant errors bad lines, bad intervals, muddy transitions or off sets. Simple as that.

Geoffrey

I don't like this review. Not because it doesn't agree with my opinions, but because of how it's written. Frankly, some of the best reviews I've read were completely against my opinions.

This, on the other hand, is a bunch of scattered thoughts and vague details placed between an unhealthy amount of distracting ellipses.

"Troopers.....standing O welcoming the corps into finals..........they did a solid job tonight and put on an entertaining show.....some things

actually seemed a bit more solid....possibly because the pressure was off...........good job"

I stand by original words.

Less bias. More content! I don't care if your review is against a corps, or glorifies one, just as long as it's worth reading!

just returned home from finals....here is my review..........

general: big crowd

2 exhibitions.....Marines did a fine job presenting a show with variety and solid musicianship

Blue Devils B displayed a well-designed show with competence in all sections and show was well-performed

Troopers.....standing O welcoming the corps into finals..........they did a solid job tonight and put on an entertaining show.....some things

actually seemed a bit more solid....possibly because the pressure was off...........good job

Blue Knights.....I thought they did a good job tonight.....show is interesting musically and visually.....first major brass hit is huge.......I thought

they were stronger than Glassmen.......

Glassmen.........visual/CG and percusssion performance are their strengths. However, for me, the musical arrangements, especially the 2nd

half, are a bit lacking. Also, brass intonation issues remained, yet this shows up nowhere in the score........I felt they were overscored....

Blue Stars.......solid programming and a solid brass sound.....show is well-arranged with good variety......perc. seemed a tad cleaner tonight....

a solid show tonight.........

Phantom..........yes, the drill isn't the greatest this year.........however, their brass line and percussion section are superb....arrangements, demand, and

performance level are top drawer, and their placement in those captions remains a mystery.....9th in musical effect??? are you kidding me?

I felt that they should have been 7th.................

Boston..............entertaining show, and guard carries theme well........perhaps a few too many abrupt hits............solid in all segments, and arrangements

generally work......good job......

Bluecoats..............performed very well..........percussion demand is top shelf..........brass demand not quite that of other contenders....visual program

is good.....as I have stated before, perhaps not the best idea to repeat a tune that a competitor won a title with not too long ago.....

solid job.........

Santa Clara..........the most musical show on the field this year, as arrangement quality and continuity of musical thought, in both brass and percussion,

were 2nd to none, but not recognized by the music judges...........visual/guard presented the music in an outstanding manner.....

Cavies couldn't hold a candle to this show, but the judges disagree....................

Cavaliers..............great visual/guard show.............however, musical book is below the level of other contenders, and arrangements do not generate

the same level of musical communication/emotion as others, and dynamic range also was limited compared to others.....some brass

quality issues tonight.........should have been a "distant" 5th.....................

Cadets................really sold the show tonight.............visual demand is 2nd to none, but "chairs" apparently have much more demand...........

last minute of show is insane and brought the house down.............was performance "perfect" ?? No, but they did not

receive credit for the "what" of their program....tremendous demand on the move while playing, and some extremely exposed

segments both musically and visually, again, not fully credited...............solid job tonight......

Crown.................tremendous brass performance.....musical demands vastly superior to the Blue Devils.........no weakness in the show, and

they sold things very well tonight...........should have won the title edging the Cadets..............

Blue Devils..........well, I guess color guard rules (and they do have a great one), because the numbers in other captions given to this corps

this evening were ABSURD..............a perfect 20 in music effect???? Oh, yes, the epitomy of musical communication (yes, much

sarcasm intended).........pit is strong, but they carry way too much of the musical product, as does percussion....battery has much

demand........but program is choppy and certainly did not merit a 19.8, as yes, they play many notes, but it's not always very musical...

I find it unbelievable that a corps can come out, sit on chairs, pose on chairs, stand on chairs, and for a significant amount of time,

and that is deemed "state of the art" visual by the judging community.....................brass performance issues tonight, and to have them

within .2 of Carolina Crown's brass is truly laughable..........................I can't even comment on that score...............

GB

OMG - you are not biased at all. Thanks for taking the time to write a review though!

Well, even if he did, they are accurate about BD.

Another crown lover and BD hater. I loved Crown this year, but they were clearly outclassed by a complete BD show with a brilliant concept and design.

It is so sad that Finals will be in Indy again, because once again BD will not get the crowd support they deserve. Bring finals back to CA and BD will get many standing O's.

It is so sad that Finals will be in Indy again, because once again BD will not get the crowd support they deserve. Bring finals back to CA and BD will get many standing O's.

You certainly cannot rely on location or home field advantage to guarantee crowd support. Allentown in 2007 and 2008 politely applauded the hometown Cadets. You get standing O's because you program your show to elicit that reaction from the audience. BD's program simply failed to elicit that reaction.

Edited by Ed Boxer