A funny Zingali moment

Here's the formula for scoring high: Have the hornline play as little as possible (BD only played around 7:00 as compared to Crown and Cadets who both played over 8:30 NOT including pre-shows), put the guard in acid color uniforms so they distract you from everything else, and then pick a gimmick prop for that WOW! factor.

In January of 1979 the Michigan Color Guard Circuit had George Zingali in for a workshop. He went over the DCI tapes from 1978 and came to the the same conclusion. He had actually compared how many minutes Phantom's horn line( high brass in 1978) had played compared to the others and Santa Clara's drum line( high drums in 1978) as well. I think he counted how many seconds SCV used the finger cymbals in the Khachaturian piece. He was on a roll. He then described what 27th's show would be the next year ( it wasn't..........but how he could entertain). They were going to open with " Last Dance" by Donna Summer... with a long extended brass solo , with the corps doing difficult drill work, and the guard was going to wear silver lame and do all this body stuff. It was great.

It just goes to show you there are no new ideas. :tongue:

Can you clear this up a bit for us.

Did you measure how much time the BD, Crown and HNC horn lines played this year?

As well, is there a measure of the percentage each horn line played in regard to their own total show?

Let's deal with some exact numbers rather than make unclear references.

People took the time to chart this type of activity with the Cavies over the last few years and made some informed observations.

As for quoting Zingali out of context, not in a complete thought and 30 years later, you do both the man and the corps you reference a severe injustice and call your own credibility and objectivity into question.

As for quoting Zingali out of context, not in a complete thought and 30 years later, you do both the man and the corps you reference a severe injustice and call your own credibility and objectivity into question.

Whoa. I thought it was an interesting anectdote.

HH

I think the Blue Devils were smart. They did indeed have a conservative show. Less music, less marching (sitting and standing on chairs, moving chairs around) A smart concept, however it did annoy a lot of fans that judges give them so much credit for a show that is obviously less demanding than other corps.

Just a friendly note: You're coming off as very defensive here, for unclear reasons.

Wow, I think he was just trying to tell an interesting story, no need to hate.

the players are only following the risk / reward system given to them by DCI.

If you want to hate someone, don't hate a corps for playing the game. Hate the people who made the rules.

The risk/reward system is that you should get more credit for performing a more difficult program than a less difficult program. It's not a rules problem, it's a judging problem. It seems that the risk/reward system is not being taken into account by the judges. People think the judges are giving too much credit to a show that appears to be a less demanding show compared to the other top corps.

So it's not that people dislike the corps or even the show - they dislike the judging of the show.

I found it interesting that a man an influential as George Zingali had some of the same observations, gripes, and worries that average fan has. Today, 20 years later, the mouse-jockeys have the same complaints. With all the amps, keyboards, multikey horns, kevlar heads, dance, and narration the activity is still, in a lot of ways, the drum corps it always was.

I have nothing to be defensive about.

I have no affiliation with any of the groups or people mentioned.

I resent an incomplete story that seems to indicate that Zingali, who is not here to defend himself, may have cast aspersions on PR and SCV over 30 years ago.

I would appreciate a more complete retelling of the anecdote.

If that is not possible then it should not have been told.

It seems to me that the OP has a beef with BD's show this year but doesn't have the stones to come out and say it him or herself.

Those are my reasons.

Just a friendly note: You're coming off as very defensive here, for unclear reasons.
Edited by dckid80