Top Storylines of 2009

With apologies to the various news media outlets that do their annual "top stories of...(whatever year)" at year's end.....how about the top storylines for the DCI side of the drum corps activity in 2009?

My take on this year's top 5 storylines... in no particular order:

1) "America's Corps" Captures Hearts: The Troopers, in only their third season back in action after a year on the inactive list, make Finals for the first time 1986. If not the top story of the year, this has to be the top "feel-good" story, IMO.

2) Electronics-O-Rama: Synthesizers and miking of brass soloists join the electronics parade. A game-changing year for the corps of DCI.

3) Phantom's Fall From First: First place to ninth. Yikes. Still a terrific corps in '09.... but the magic of 2008 simply wasn't there.

4) Retro Is Cool: Two shows with a "throwback" feel to them....those of the Holy Name Cadets and Santa Clara Vanguard....get the fans on their feet, over and over again.

5) Devils Dominate: Two corps from the same organization. Two undefeated seasons. Will we ever see anything like that again?

Please add your own....and my apologies if this has already been done. I don't have the time, energy or inclination to read every one of the threads on DCP!!!!

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

4) Retro Is Cool: Two shows with a "throwback" feel to them....those of the Holy Name Cadets and Santa Clara Vanguard....get the fans on their feet, over and over again.

I'm really confused here. I understand HNC being called Retro. Have no understanding at all what is retro about SCV this season.

1) Music not arranged in a any sort of retro fashion. In fact it's almost not arranged (not true of course but that's the feel

of the arrangement). Sure the music has been done before but not like that.

2) The show is full of dance. Dance from the brass, dance from the guard, dance from the battery. I don't think the pit danced but it wouldn't have surprised me. It was not spin, spin, spin and march, march, march.

3) Completely unconventional show design. Not a single programmed "release" until the front. Before that its tension and "ummm...no we're not gonna give it you" the whole show. People clapped at all kinds of weird moments just to shed a little tension. It was funny.

4) Costumes....um..yeah not very throwback (well maybe the length could be called old school -- but nothing else about them)

4) Drill wise it was very modern.

IMHO it was daring and fresh. So what was Retro about it?

1) "America's Corps" Captures Hearts: The Troopers, in only their third season back in action after a year on the inactive list, make Finals for the first time 1986. If not the top story of the year, this has to be the top "feel-good" story, IMO.

This was one of my favorite things from this season. I didn't start following drum corps until late 2005, so I wasn't incredibly familiar with the Troopers when they came back in 2007. I quickly became a big fan of them and went back and watched and listened to a lot of their older shows. I was pulling so hard for them this year. I was thrilled to see them back in finals, and hope that they continue to climb.

5) Devils Dominate: Two corps from the same organization. Two undefeated seasons. Will we ever see anything like that again?

I think you'll see this happen at least once, if not multiple times within the next ten years.

It appears to me that BDB and SCVC are in a class of their own now in Open class.

Edited by rosski47

How about Carolina Crown capturing the silver medal and defeating one of the strongest Cadets drum corps in history, and winning the Jim Ott brass trophy over the unbeatable Blue Devils. Sounds like story of the year to me.

I think you'll see this happen at least once, if not multiple times within the next ten years.

It appears to me that BDB and SCVC are in a class of their own now in Open class.

BD also has:

WIND SYMPHONY: Diablo wind symphony

12 National Team Twirling Championships

6 National Corps Twirling Championship

2 World Team Twirling Championship

Diablo Wind Symphony

and money for a rather large staff...

Edited by Cop

Not to mention the director of the Troopers winning the Director of the Year award

I doubt it. I don't see SC Vanguard winning a DCI Title this decade. I think they COULD. But I don't see it. If they did, it would be a heck of a year to go undefeated and do it. It's very hard to go undefeated now in DCI World Class competition.

I don't foresee the Blue Devils organization ever having a year where they win both the World Class Championship AND the Open Class Championship AND going undefeated in both divisions for a 41-0 record in competition during the summer season.

That's why this year was so special and why the Blue Devils winning both World and Open Class Titles and going undefeated in the process is hands down the story of 2009 in my opinion. Frankly, I don't think we'll see something like this again in the next 10 or 20 years. But who really knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by BRASSO