Do you regret not marching your age-out?

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish you could still age out?

• I aged-out with my corps
    • I did not age out, but life was calling
    • I did not age out, but I wish I could go back and time and change that

I didn't age out, which I sometimes regret. I was in music school at the time and had formed my first band. We were fairly successful and had gigs lined up for the summer thus preventing me from marching. My time spent with that group was invaluable to me in learning how to run/manage my own live music group. I'm certain that had I spent that time in drum corps I would've missed out on some valuable lessons. So do I regret not aging out? Tough question for me, and I guess the answer is yes and no.

i'm pretty sure yes and no will be the most popular answers....

How many people regret not marching their age-out year?

How many people regret marching their age-out year?

You can probably guess how the responses to these two questions would compare.

You can't get it back. Do it while you can. Most everything else in life can wait 10 more weeks.

I wanted to but just couldn't afford it. I regret it. In the end I probably could have made it work but I still kick myself once in a while.

I've been through worst things in life though.

I wanted to but just couldn't afford it. I regret it. In the end I probably could have made it work but I still kick myself once in a while.

I've been through worst things in life though.

What he said.

So I know that this thread has been done before, but after such an awesome year I believe it needs to be done again.

I know that myself as well as many of you have put your life on hold when doing drum corps, and were lucky enough to age-out with the corps that you loved. However for those of you who chose/were not able to march your age-out do you regret it?

The reason I ask this is because I have a very good friend who ages out next year, and they want basically get on with their life even though they love the activity, and there seems to be nothing I can say to let them realize they are making a mistake.

So what do you think?

I don't think it is right for you to be convincing your friend to do something that they obviously don't want to do. For that person, in their life, not marching that year might be a fine choice, and not a mistake. Let him make up his own mind and be supportive of whatever decision he makes that is best for him.

I have posted this every time this sort of thread comes up: I didn't march my age out by choice (92 Crossmen) and still to this day do not regret it. I am happy for my friends that had the wonderful experience of marching that show, and I'm also glad I wasn't one of them. Not a single regret.

I did not age-out. For me life happened. My choice was between marching a Division I corps or going to University I could not afford both. Especially knowing I had quite a few marching years to go. I chose University. I do not regret the choice, but at the same wish I could have marched. My age-out year would have been 2000, and looking at the shows that year, I do wish I was on the field.

I wanted to but just couldn't afford it.

Not an acceptable excuse.

I don't think it is right for you to be convincing your friend to do something that they obviously don't want to do.

Why would you not want to convince your friend to not make the biggest mistake of their life? :unhappy:

My choice was between marching a Division I corps or going to University I could not afford both.

I don't understand this thought process. There are no age limits at University. It's not an either-or proposition. If you want to march corps, march corps now and do university later. The school can wait.

I took fewer credits per semester, stretched my schooling out to five years, and worked my a## off in the off-season so that I could afford to march.

Like I said before, putting your "regular life" on hold for 10 weeks is not going to have any impact on "regular life" in the big picture. But what you gain in those 10 weeks marching is priceless.

I don't think it is right for you to be convincing your friend to do something that they obviously don't want to do. For that person, in their life, not marching that year might be a fine choice, and not a mistake. Let him make up his own mind and be supportive of whatever decision he makes that is best for him.

I don't think you are understanding what I was saying. I'm not trying to "convince" someone to march, I am just trying to have them understand that they have the rest of their life to make money in this world, however so little time to perform (which is what they love to do).

Its more of a thing of how many people are in such a rush in today's world to get out there into the real thick of it, rather than enjoying the limited amount of time you have to actually "live".