frozen valveS?

josh161

You know I was a member of a junior corps for 10 years and I NEVER, EVER saw any underage drinking. NEVER and no pot smoking either, and definitely no cocaine. None of that ever happened. Of course, I wasn't "cool" enough to hang out with the people that may have done such unthinkable things like that, if in fact, they ever would have occurred, which I'm sure they did not since it was a junior corps as virtuous as any other.

take her easy, shes my lady and that's what i say...

i was joking. keep it cool.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know what anyone else does, but years ago (1970) with the St. Matthias Blue Max we used to do about 10 days of Christmas carolling in Ridgewood and Glendale, New York. Those valves froze quite often.

What we did, is that the parents carried trays with Sterno cannisters, which they lit. When our valves froze, we got out of line, melted the ice and went back to playing. No one got burned that I can remember, because the parents oversaw this.

Of course, nowadays with liability lawsuits, etc., groups may not allow this anymore. But it worked for us.

My valves have locked up many times at the worst possible times, like during shows. If you are in a pinch I just blow as much "warm" air into your horn as possible. Its almost like you are huffing into the instrument. Sure you are essentially putting more moisture into the horn but after about 20-30 seconds you'll be able to play again. The trick is to keep putting air through the horn while you are playing otherwise they'll lock up again.

I'm sure alcohol in a spray bottle would work well too.

My valves have locked up many times at the worst possible times, like during shows. If you are in a pinch I just blow as much "warm" air into your horn as possible. Its almost like you are huffing into the instrument. Sure you are essentially putting more moisture into the horn but after about 20-30 seconds you'll be able to play again. The trick is to keep putting air through the horn while you are playing otherwise they'll lock up again.

That works on some of the smaller horns, but the bigger ones - not so much. My college sousaphone (Conn 20K) was all brass and probably tipped the scales at around 30lbs or more...the thing acted as a giant radiator, sucking the heat from your body and distributing it back to the universe, laughing at you the whole time. There's no hope of warming up the whole horn - the best we could do was the localized heating of the valves with the hot-hands.

Well, never been below freezing at a high school comp. Course its in tennessee and we go to about early nov. Anyways we've gotten into the 40's before and I know what your talking about, what we do (me and some fellow trumpets) Before we perform empty all spit, pull out our valves and wipe them off inside and the piston with a rag, then we soak it in synthetic valve oil :thumbup: works for us.... never been below freezing before. its been close at football games before, hudle up with a cold guard girl in the stands is always fun :thumbup:

Don't know what anyone else does, but years ago (1970) with the St. Matthias Blue Max we used to do about 10 days of Christmas carolling in Ridgewood and Glendale, New York. Those valves froze quite often.

What we did, is that the parents carried trays with Sterno cannisters, which they lit. When our valves froze, we got out of line, melted the ice and went back to playing. No one got burned that I can remember, because the parents oversaw this.

Of course, nowadays with liability lawsuits, etc., groups may not allow this anymore. But it worked for us.

Probably was fine because the horns were chrome plated and built like Sherman Tanks. I don't think silver plating and modern construction will be as durable.

• 3 weeks later...
:rolleyes: BOURBON :doh:

Of course if you drink enough of it, you won't have a care about your valves.

On a serious note, did you know that USMC Band, The President's Own, actually has a march that was written just for this situation. The woodwinds carry the melody while the brass play everything open valve, just like old time bugles.

By the way, the topic starter states he is going to U of Maine? Did he not notice there are several U's in Florida? (tongue in cheek)