frozen valveS?

josh161

Bad idea, it takes forever to get a buzz when your drinking from a spray bottle.

By the way, seriously again if I may, for those still in high school, wouldn't the whole alcohol thing be risky with those ZERO tolerance rules?

I repeat myself...... :rolleyes: BOURBON :doh: If you're Polish........Jezynowka works well too.

Edited by melligene

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with the experienced "Mainer", who is used to the "wicked cold" , and use mouthwash. Regular Listerine has 5.3% more ethanol than the flavored varietes. So, when it's a balmy 34 degrees, you might be able to go with a flavored variety. Regular rubbing alcohol is likely to evaporate, leaving nothing to lubricate your valves.

Ciao!

Im going to maine because! im not particularly fond of hurricanes! a noreaster is bad enough!

We play through the whole games, snow or shine. Its is quite common to have games in blizzards up here. I will see about using the mouthwash. Thanks for the ideas.

Anything else anyone can think of would be great

• 4 weeks later...

After many years of performing in cold weather parades both in marching bands, and army bands I have found that the best thing to use is Vodka. All joking aside, alcohol has a freezing temperature far below most playing conditions. Get a trombone spray bottle and spray it liberally all over the valves or trombone slide. Apply more as needed. It is interesting to note that the 9th "Artic Warrior," Army Band out of Ft. Wainwright Alaska, actually has marches composed to be played with frozen valves instruments. I have not seen the actual arrangements but am told that various valved instruments hold thier horns so as to have different valve combinations frozen in place so as to cover as many notes as possible throughout the ensemble. Either way, gigs in cold weather SUCK!

The problem with using alcohol is that you're pouring stuff into your horn that's going to break down and cause long-term problems with the valves. Alcohol is, after all, chemically related to sugar, and we're all aware of what happens even if you've only just been drinking pop before playing, let alone dumping it into your horn. If you're going to be outside in the cold, make sure you've cleaned your horn, and get yourself some quality oil. If the usual Al Cass doesn't cut it, get a synthetic; I'd recommend Hetman's (which has the added bonus of being the only synthetic that doesn't gum up when mixed with regular oil).

I wonder if switching to slide trumpets would be an option.

Slides freeze just as quickly.

And we'll never teach you brusque trumpeters the delicate slide control of intonation that we trombonists are famously endowed with.

The problem with using alcohol is that you're pouring stuff into your horn that's going to break down and cause long-term problems with the valves. Alcohol is, after all, chemically related to sugar, and we're all aware of what happens even if you've only just been drinking pop before playing, let alone dumping it into your horn. If you're going to be outside in the cold, make sure you've cleaned your horn, and get yourself some quality oil. If the usual Al Cass doesn't cut it, get a synthetic; I'd recommend Hetman's (which has the added bonus of being the only synthetic that doesn't gum up when mixed with regular oil).

Agreed 100%. If you're going to put sugar into your mouth before playing a brass instrument then you might as well pour sugar into your own cars gas tank, because it pretty much has the same result. It's the same thing with computer keyboards. If you spill coffee on it it's not the coffee - it's the sugar that makes the keys stick. We were allowed to chew gum during practice, which drove the brass players crazy. I don't think I need to tell you what section I was in. :tongue:

The solution is simple: Move to Hawaii.

Warm climate - No frozen valves.

Disclaimer: You may get frozen valves due to overindulgence of frozen beverages. Remember, moderation in everything

This works best:

Clean and well oiled valves.

Oil when you take it out of the case, and the oil before putting it back in the case. And clean your valves regularly. And any respected oil has worked fine for me. Al Cass, even the Yamaha stuff they give to their corps (not the lite stuff, don't know if that is still around). And if your valve freezes, you aren't putting enough warm air through your horn :innocent: