When is Fan Network going to show Quarters again?

Will Dci show quarterfinals via the on demand?

I live in the UK and i tried staying up as long as possible to watch it, made it to scouts then had to hit the hay as i had work in the morning. I thought i did well but would catch up on the rest the following day.

I've noticed that open class is on, but no world? whats going on?

They probably won't. I don't recall them putting them up last year. The VOD's that are already up will be all you will have for 2009 until next year after the after the 2010 Finals discs are released.

Doubt they will. It would cut into DVD sales. 2008 On Demand doesn't show quarters either.

I don't buy that ... People who are serious fans will buy the media in different formats.

Example: "Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog" went viral on the net. Fans bought it in droves as an iTunes download. Many of the same fans also bought the audio downloads and the DVD when it came out.

I think DCI would find that most die-hard drum corps fans would be happy to buy the video downloads for their computers and remote devices (especially if it was HD) and then buy the DVD.

That sucks! why not put it up just for week following finals, It's drum corps international so obviosly your broadcasting to a worldwide audience with different time zones, i've paid my money, why not show it so those that dont have the opportunity to watch it live can at least see it? it's quarters not finals so i,m,o it shouldnt have that much of an effect on dvd sales?

I don't buy that ... People who are serious fans will buy the media in different formats.

Example: "Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog" went viral on the net. Fans bought it in droves as an iTunes download. Many of the same fans also bought the audio downloads and the DVD when it came out.

I think DCI would find that most die-hard drum corps fans would be happy to buy the video downloads for their computers and remote devices (especially if it was HD) and then buy the DVD.

DCI doesn't get it. At all.

Yeah, unfortunately they don't get it. I mean I live in Ireland and have the same problems as the OP.

I would love to see Quaters or semis but it won't happen.

The worst thing is that today I saw someone post a video from semis on Facebook and loads of people were commenting watching - most of which were unaware of drumcorps and it seemed to generate great interest. DCI could make so much more of social tools. They could sell me Semis shows now and I'd still want them on DVD quality. Perhaps they will consider it when they switch to HD discs since the quality gap will be greater.

The second thing is that people will just illegally capture and trade stuff - if it was easy to purchase then this wouldn't happen and the corps and DCI would profit.

Yes, not only does DCI "not get it" with regard to social media and downloadable media, I think they're also missing the boat on advances in "traditional media".

There are technologies available for "just in time" or "delivery on demand" where companies create DVD media as it's ordered ... Users can have the ability to pick witch items (in this case specific corps performances) they want to see, pay for it online, and then the DVD is created and mailed to them

Lower profit margin, quite possibly, than the DIY approach, but seeing as their is no need to maintain physical inventory or lay out upfront costs, it could be quite attractive financially.

<sigh> I guess I should just be grateful that DCI has found out about the interwebs at all ...

If you look on Facebook, you'll find actual finals night, multi-cam recordings of the shows, which are the ones that go on the DVD. Why it takes them till December to actually release them is beyond me.

That sucks! why not put it up just for week following finals, It's drum corps international so obviosly your broadcasting to a worldwide audience with different time zones, i've paid my money, why not show it so those that dont have the opportunity to watch it live can at least see it? it's quarters not finals so i,m,o it shouldnt have that much of an effect on dvd sales?

The 2007 Finals videos did not become available on the Fan Network until after the 2008 season.

Why?

The ESPN contract. Even though DCI wasn't doing ESPN2, the contract was still in effect, effectively banning any release of Finals material until a year after the event.

I'm willing to bet the 2008 Finals vids will be appearing on the Fan Network within the next few weeks.

I'm also willing to bet we'll have to wait until after 2010 Finals for the 2009 videos to appear on the Fan Network, something somebody earlier in this thread mentioned.

I am ALSO willing to bet that, as soon as that #### contract runs out, we won't have this problem anymore, and DCI is counting the days/hours/minutes/seconds until that happens.