Why IS it there?

This is a serious question I have here; it is not an attack on any one corps. This you can tell by the fact that I have kept my own counsel about which corps I enjoyed the most, and will continue to do so. This question is honestly meant.

In all sorts of competitions, the question is asked: "if the score doesn't matter, why is it a competition at all?" Ok, fair question. Here's mine, which is something of a reversal of the other:

If the audience reaction doesn't matter....why not hold DCI as a jury instead of as a performance? (Aside from ticket revenues, of course; I wonder if there are those on staff anywhere who would prefer juries over performances...)

I guess I'm not sure the point you're raising... are you suggesting that there is a single corps that doesn't consider the audience in its productions?

Sure, there are some that don't hit the mark, and sure, some are trying to evoke something different out of the audience than pure glee, but I would be surprised if audience reaction didn't matter to any of the corps or their designers.

This is a serious question I have here; it is not an attack on any one corps. This you can tell by the fact that I have kept my own counsel about which corps I enjoyed the most, and will continue to do so. This question is honestly meant.

In all sorts of competitions, the question is asked: "if the score doesn't matter, why is it a competition at all?" Ok, fair question. Here's mine, which is something of a reversal of the other:

If the audience reaction doesn't matter....why not hold DCI as a jury instead of as a performance? (Aside from ticket revenues, of course; I wonder if there are those on staff anywhere who would prefer juries over performances...)

The short answer is audience response is nice but in a competition it just doesn't matter! It's nice if Grandma and the family can come out to support the regional corps because the drive is easy, but the fact is that there's a definate lack of sportsmenship among the DCI fan base. They get real goofy when they think that their response might help the other guy so they sit on their hands, it's shameful (particularly in Bloomington and Indy). Now if a corps is no threat to their favorite...they scream a yell for them. I was in the Rose Bowl in 07 (not a BD fan then) and commented that the crowd was supportive of all corps (except for a little booing by a few idiots at Cadets with their mics - but they still took 2nd). They cheered the loudest for SCV and BD of course, so.....if you let the local crowd sway you then you're always going to get a skewed outcome in favor of the regional corps. It's just common sense!

Why not just have juries? Honestly I think the main reasons are the fact that it's always been that way, and revenue.

The short answer is audience response is nice but in a competition it just doesn't matter! It's nice if Grandma and the family can come out to support the regional corps because the drive is easy, but the fact is that there's a definate lack of sportsmenship among the DCI fan base. They get real goofy when they think that their response might help the other guy so they sit on their hands, it's shameful (particularly in Bloomington and Indy). Now if a corps is no threat to their favorite...they scream a yell for them. I was in the Rose Bowl in 07 (not a BD fan then) and commented that the crowd was supportive of all corps (except for a little booing by a few idiots at Cadets with their mics - but they still took 2nd). They cheered the loudest for SCV and BD of course, so.....if you let the local crowd sway you then you're always going to get a skewed outcome in favor of the regional corps. It's just common sense!

Are you sure it's not just because people have similar taste in entertaining/boring shows? Besides, CCrown and Madison have nutty fans wherever they go!

I believe that all corps strive to please the audience. And --- audience reaction does matter. Just ask anyone who has marched in a drum corps and they will tell you how much it matters to them. Not everyone will react the same way to a given show and that is good. That's why it's a competition. What people have to understand is that every corps has it's own set of goals and measure of success. It's a plain fact that not everyone can win, but in many cases the goal for the year is to move up a place or two in the rankings. If it happens, it is a successful season. That's one reason I get irritated when the only thing people want to talk about is the top 6 or 12. All the kids work hard and deserve the utmost respect from the audience, regardless of whether or not youreally like the show. That's why they have judges.

I think it's presumptuous to assume the crowd's reaction doesn't matter. I've heard GE judges comment on crowd reaction.

Why perform any sport or activity for a crowd? Would you personnally bust ### for months to do an 11 minute show in front of 10 people? I wouldn't.

I've also never not applauded for a corps because I wanted another corps to win. I don't think MOST fans are that selfish. I've not seen that behavior widespread, in fact the only time I hear that kind of spite is on DCP.

I think it's presumptuous to assume the crowd's reaction doesn't matter. I've heard GE judges comment on crowd reaction.

Why perform any sport or activity for a crowd? Would you personnally bust ### for months to do an 11 minute show in front of 10 people? I wouldn't.

I've also never not applauded for a corps because I wanted another corps to win. I don't think MOST fans are that selfish. I've not seen that behavior widespread, in fact the only time I hear that kind of spite is on DCP.

Amen. All the kids earned your applause and support

wow, you missed some big shows live in the past then. it isnt just on DCP