Mello Mouthpieces

Latrobe's Finest

The Bushwackers used the IYM Mouthpiece in 2009. The horns we used had some projection issues, and the IYM helped with that. We tried a bunch, but they worked the best for the set up we had in 2009.

This may change in 2010 depending on equipment and whatnot, but I definitely like them...although you definitely have to play on them a lot, but once you get used to them it's very nice.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kilties mello line all used Kelly mouthpiecesracine_kilties_large.jpg

Correction Pat, 3 members did not, this a photo (which also appears on the Kelly website) of those of us who did.

Dan on Mello? I guess I don't get out that much anymore.

I've used the Bach 6, Conn CKB 6V, Kelly 6V, and Kanstul M6. Not that I've played much mellophone. 2005 for about 4 months. The Bach 6 is huge, if you're a low brass guy who just honks loud, serviceable, but not range friendly. And it has a super small shank that doesn't properly fit modern horns. The 6V is very trumpet like, and just too shallow to do anything for me. The Kelly is decent, nothing really wrong with it. I played a parade with that one post 2005 and the rim kind of bugged me a bit, it was hard to play consistently depending on where the piece landed up / down / rotationally. I tend to favor the Kanstul at the moment. A fair compromise between inner rim size for range and cup depth to be able to play in any condition. Although not a particularly stellar piece, but serviceable. But then again, I'm not a mellophone player by any measure of the word.

• 4 weeks later...
I was surprised this summer to see the Hammond mouthpieces being used by a lot of the top 12 corps midvoices: Troopers, Blue Stars, Boston, Phantom Regiment, Bluecoats, Cadets, Crown,

+Glassmen (6mp)

SCV surprised me a bit this year by utiilzing a mixture of mouthpieces, but mostly outfitting the line with the IYMs. I also saw what appeared to be a Curry TF and a standard Yamaha 14F4 in Vanguard's line. So the staff may have fitted mouthpieces to the specific player and their part.

definitely interested in any further info you have on this

Correspondence with John Meeham preseason revealed that he developed a custom mouthpiece for the Blue Devils' midvoice that I would like to try at some point.

system blue?

Lots of options available these days. More than ever!

Edited by comeonfhqwhgads

• 4 weeks later...

I was curious about the System Blue mouthpieces and looked up the website. When I went to the page for the mello mouthpiece, it listed the price as ONE DOLLAR!!! There has to be something wrong with that, lol.

• 4 weeks later...
Correction Pat, 3 members did not, this a photo (which also appears on the Kelly website) of those of us who did.

Not pictured: Beth plays an unbranded "MELLO6V (UMI we think) which we had triple gold plated at Badger Repair School. I noticed is a tad bit deeper than Kelly's, and the throat is clearly larger than the Kelly 6V. Her high C's in the new 2010 music are spot-on every time.

Back when she and her sister played second (2002-2004), they had a very nice, warm mid-low register using Dennis Wick #5 Alto mouthpieces (on DEG G mellos). Not too unusual an idea, as Blessing M100 F mellos were shipping for some time with re-branded Wick #5 alto pieces. Wider, cushion rim than a trumpet, deep "V" funnel cup, but an enormous throat (almost as large as some smaller trombone). Gave you that French horn cup but cushion of a trumpet piece. Kinda.

I know I might catch some heat for this but I use a Schilke 6a4a. Started to use Schilke when I played trumpet in high school. Started on a 13a4a that was my older brother's then got a 14a4 and then the 6a4a when right before switching to mello. Like the endurance never had any issues with getting low on it or getting a good tone.

But I do have a question and very happy I found this thread. Lately I have been wanting to get a new piece with a darker tone to it. But I am worried about losing the range I get with my 6 and for some reason schilke is the only piece I can play on with out it killing my lips quick. I used Bach till I switch to the Schilke 13a4a and noticed with in 3 days I could play longer with a better tone. Is there any pieces out there that will allow me the dark tone with out losing the range or endurance? I think my 6 has the schilke #4 rim on it. so if i can find something with that or something close to it. maybe even with a little more cushion. Any suggestions?

I know I might catch some heat for this but I use a Schilke 6a4a. Started to use Schilke when I played trumpet in high school. Started on a 13a4a that was my older brother's then got a 14a4 and then the 6a4a when right before switching to mello. Like the endurance never had any issues with getting low on it or getting a good tone.

But I do have a question and very happy I found this thread. Lately I have been wanting to get a new piece with a darker tone to it. But I am worried about losing the range I get with my 6 and for some reason schilke is the only piece I can play on with out it killing my lips quick. I used Bach till I switch to the Schilke 13a4a and noticed with in 3 days I could play longer with a better tone. Is there any pieces out there that will allow me the dark tone with out losing the range or endurance? I think my 6 has the schilke #4 rim on it. so if i can find something with that or something close to it. maybe even with a little more cushion. Any suggestions?

Not familiar with the 6a4a. I will say this, however, using any mouthpiece that seems easier to play is not necessarily the correct one. Some of our Mello players tend to use sop/trumpet mouthpieces as they are more comfortable with them. I prefer the 6V. May take some getting used to and a bit of a challange at first but, I am looking for color when it comes to playing Mellophone.

Maybe it's just me but, that's how I see it.

Still trying to process the image of Dan Scerpella holding a mellophone...............wow.

:grouphug:

Last time I played mello (2008) I used a Benge CG3. I am aware that this is not a "mellophone" mouthpiece but it suited me fine.