Championship Finale -- traditional or contemporary?

After hearing some discussion after the show Saturday night, I'm interested in everyone's opinion regarding the format for the Finale.

I am totally in favor of a return to a traditional style finale in which every corps plays themselves off in reverse order of finish, along with the trooping of the stands. I understand it was actually discussed by the board of directors, but not implemented for this show. The fans pay a lot of money to attend this event and support their favorite corps. Really, it's not too much to ask the corps to give a few minutes to the fans. Most corps have a favorite piece of music used for this purpose. For example, what true drum corps fans would not enjoy hearing Boston play Conquest, or Spirit play Georgia, or the Troopers play Ghost Riders?

It can also be a very emotional moment too. Such as SCV playing Send in the Clowns to the Madison Scouts in '75. There are numerous examples of moments like that throughout DCI history. If you have ever witnessed it you know just how special it can be. And what about the corps showing some respect to the champion corps by passing in review and saluting? What happened to that tradition?

Those who support the current system say that the time after the scores is for the corps members to say goodbye to friends in other corps. My opinion is the parking lot is a much better place for that. I think this time should belong to the fans and the champion corps. It usually takes a long time to clear the field so the winner can do an encore performance. Many fans loose interest because it simply takes too long.

I am not suggesting that a traditional style retreat be done at every show. But certainly Championship Finals. The traditional system used to work very well, until corps started taking a long time just to get ready to play. Again, it is my opinion that if it was properly planned, and the flow controlled by a stadium announcer, this part of the show can return to being the special time it used to be.

I am completely with you on this.

I also think they should add a full corps retreat to the regionals. It is clear that some corps need "practice" on this before the big show.

Edited by tja273

I am SO with you on this. I hate seeing corps break ranks and wander around the field... and I always enjoyed the corps playing off as they passed the champion. A great tradition! Save the goodbyes for the parking lot (aka "backstage") where they belong.

It is sad to say but TRADITION is DEAD in the eyes of DCI im my opinion of course.

1998 was the last time we had a traditional retreat. I agree that America/O Canada has seen its last day and they should not have anymore mass brass at Finals for a while. With the elimination of this, and the fact that this venue is indoors, there should be NO problem with letting the corps play themselves off!

I also agree that ALL regionals should have full corps retreats. There are 3 of them....c'mon it's not that bad.

DCI needs to take a page from NASCAR who is very similar in making "controversial" decisions. Nascar actually listened to the fans this year and implemented a change in MID-SEASON. DCI listen to your fans....they pay the light bill!

Make sure you send your comments to DCI directly...I know a couple people that worked there over the summer and believe it or not, they DO actually read everything that comes in :doh:

Make sure you send your comments to DCI directly...I know a couple people that worked there over the summer and believe it or not, they DO actually read everything that comes in :doh:

Yeah I sent them my last proposal about streaming DCI Finals scores on Fan Network, but I got the "thanks, I'll forward this along" email in reply. I guess I didn't really care since I ended up getting tickets to Finals, but I'm sure they read everything that comes in.

I like the idea in theory, the problem is that since corps don't do retreat at every show during the season they don't get practice at doing retreat.

I remember in 2005 retreat was a bit of a mess with people not really knowing what to do because we hadn't done it all season, and that was in only the first year of the new format so plenty of people had done retreat before. I can only imagine what throwing in marching and playing a song that you haven't marched and played all season would do.

As a fan, I hate the thought that no one does retreat anymore! As a corps member, I can clearly remember how thrilled I was on the rare nights when retreat was DM only...I really hope that some kind of compromise is reached so that last years fiasco doesn't happen again, and also so that we as fans get the kind of closure from a great season that we're desiring as well.