Madison Scouts 2010

Did you read his resume? Vanderkloff is a guard person/ choreographer

"James Mason, artistic director of the Madison Scouts, is pleased to announce Bob Medworth has joined the Scouts faculty as Visual Caption Supervisor"

I'm standing by my statement until I hear otherwise. He's listed as visual designer.

Haven't announced guard caption.

Again, if you read his resume, know his history at Star, and know anything at all about Jonathan, I believe you'll eventually come to the conclusion that he's going to be very involved with the color guard design (AKA.... VISUAL DESIGNER) at Madison. :thumbup:

Edited by oldtimedrummer

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no just bad guard , bad percussion , poor demand , and BAD design.

can't you read ?

This is the second thread I've seen in which you've accused BBMM of illiteracy. There's no reading problem here; he is calling you out for drive-by attacks in which you seem determined to insult the Scouts but without a whole lotta substance to back up your claims. That's fine; it's your opinion, and short of directly attacking people, you're free to express it in any way you choose. But don't act surprised when people call you on it.

Again, if you read his resume, know his history at Star, and know anything at all about Jonathan, I believe you'll eventually come to the conclusion that he's going to be very involved with the color guard design (AKA.... VISUAL DESIGNER) at Madison. :thumbup:

Maybe so. We'll see. Never said he wouldn't be involved. I'm just gonna wait until they finish making their announcements, that's all. :thumbup:

From the design team that brought you the fan friendly 1993 Barber/ Bartok hum-fest....... "Medea's Return!!!! "

Oh the irony. :thumbup:

It's ironic that at the time, people did not warm up to the program, yet all these years later, it's considered by many to be one of the great all-time classic drum corps shows.

A new staff could increase the level performance, and that would help recruitment, but it will never be as easy as it used to be for them.

Depends on who they hire for the guard caption. People do tend to go where the teaching/design talent is, so if they knock another one out of the park there, then I'd say they've hit a home run. I'm not saying it will turn everything around competitively this year, but I do think it builds a great foundation for the future.

merged Madison 2010 program with this thread

Depends on who they hire for the guard caption. People do tend to go where the teaching/design talent is, so if they knock another one out of the park there, then I'd say they've hit a home run. I'm not saying it will turn everything around competitively this year, but I do think it builds a great foundation for the future.

Very true. The Scouts actually experienced this recently when Colin left after '06. The vast majority of the drumline left and several followed (or at least tried to follow) him to Cadets. I think that there's just as much of a loyalty to staff as there is to a particular corps anymore, so you definitely see this happening.

Tougher to what? They still have a huge fan following and they produce very likeable shows. No need to change what isn't fundamentally broken.

Also, they're not playing "Medea", right?

Tougher and tougher to recruit guard members. I thought that I was pretty clear in what I meant.

I know they have a huge following and have produced very likeable shows, if you notice I didn't claim otherwise. I don't think anything is broken either, and I didn't say that there was in my post.

What I meant was what I said. That the increase of numbers allowed in corps, and therefore the increase in guard numbers in all corps, combined with the increase in male guard memebers in other corps that traditionally didn't have that many male guard members has led to Madison having a tougher time recruiting guard than they used to.

In 88, if you wanted to march guard and were a guy, how many spots were there for you in DCI? Compare that number to today's number, and I would venture to guess that there is increased competition for recruitment. Add in a couple of down years, and it has to be hurting them.

I don't mean this as an insult towards the corps, I love Madison and I thought their show this year was great. I'm just trying to figure out why their guard scores seem to be below placement for the last decade, and this seems to be a logical conclusion.

I guess this disagreement is resolved http://news.madisonscouts.org/?p=241