Troopers, Colts, or Academy?

Troopers, Colts, Academy  

259 members have voted

1. 1. There has been a lot of discussion about the battle for 12th...who did you feel had the strongest show in 2009?

• Troopers
    • Colts
    • Academy
  2. 2. Did Trooper's identity give them the final push over the competition?

• Yes
    • No

Well, how can one determine if they agreed or not with the judges, if they wern't in Indy to see any of these 3 Corps perform in competition ?

Just because you weren't in Indy doesn't mean the entire dcp community shares that with you. Also drum corps is an activity based as much around consistency as performance. I don't think this poll is irrelevant simply because someone wasn't at one performance.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who were not in Indy for Finals Week, but voted in this poll anyway, are telling us which of these three Corps they liked during the season, not which one " deserved 12th " based upon anything they did or did not do in Indy during Finals Week.

I didn't ask who deserved it. If you read what I wrote I said I wanted to see if fans agreed with the judges.

Based on my viewing of Semi's I'll quote jwillis35 and TexasPRfans reviews of the Colts show because I agree with them.

"This show, folks, tore down the HOUSE last night. Huge standing O at the end, and lots of applause throughout. Have to be honest. I knew Troopers were going to have to be really good after this show. It was close, but I really thought Colts had them. I was pulling for Troop too, but the Colts were just ON ON ON ON!!"

"I was thrilled to see Troopers do so well this year, and I didn’t think we would see Troop dumped to 13th on the last show of the year, but I really do think Colts outperformed Troopers on Friday."

The corps contending for that 12th spot all have seriously good stuff in them, and that stuff gets overlooked a lot when people start trying to quantify things like "identity." I love my corps, and I love the history that comes with it. But I know that the 2010 Troopers are going to be seen through a whole new lens now that 2009 Troopers passed the rather contentious "Top 12" barrier. I've said it to several returning members already: Get ready for a whole new level of scrutiny, because 2010 is going to be the year people decide how serious you are about this gig, not 2009.

In other words, I believe that for 2009 to be seen by some as "legit" rather than "identity based," the 2010 Troopers have to at least hold onto that spot, if not better it by at least 2 or 3. Is it possible? Well sure, anything is possible. It's also possible that Colts or Academy or Madison or Spirit or Pac Crest or anyone else who finds their own magical combination of board and administrative support, design team, educational staff and member talent could launch themselves into the Saturday show. We'll just see if Troop has the horses to do the job. (as always, you guys know where I'm placing my bet.)

Now, back to the other corps in this discussion. My dream is to see the push for top 12 become so incredibly competitive that anyone in semifinals could be in the Saturday show. We're almost there, really. And wouldn't it be cool if, someday, the top 8 started looking over their shoulder and seriously worrying about who is coming up in that field? Now THAT would be something to behold!

The corps contending for that 12th spot all have seriously good stuff in them, and that stuff gets overlooked a lot when people start trying to quantify things like "identity." I love my corps, and I love the history that comes with it. But I know that the 2010 Troopers are going to be seen through a whole new lens now that 2009 Troopers passed the rather contentious "Top 12" barrier. I've said it to several returning members already: Get ready for a whole new level of scrutiny, because 2010 is going to be the year people decide how serious you are about this gig, not 2009.

In other words, I believe that for 2009 to be seen by some as "legit" rather than "identity based," the 2010 Troopers have to at least hold onto that spot, if not better it by at least 2 or 3. Is it possible? Well sure, anything is possible. It's also possible that Colts or Academy or Madison or Spirit or Pac Crest or anyone else who finds their own magical combination of board and administrative support, design team, educational staff and member talent could launch themselves into the Saturday show. We'll just see if Troop has the horses to do the job. (as always, you guys know where I'm placing my bet.)

Now, back to the other corps in this discussion. My dream is to see the push for top 12 become so incredibly competitive that anyone in semifinals could be in the Saturday show. We're almost there, really. And wouldn't it be cool if, someday, the top 8 started looking over their shoulder and seriously worrying about who is coming up in that field? Now THAT would be something to behold!

I don't think I've ever agreed more with a statement on DCP. I agree that Troopers have to bring next year. 2007- Colts, 2008 Madison. both corps fell out the next year. Getting there is nowhere near the challenge of staying there and advancing. Great post!

Great question.

The troopers as we know were the DCI favorites in 2009.

The colts were better at quarters and semi's but that 1978 DESIGN did not deserve to be in finals.

come on how difficult was that show as compared to the others in its range?

Was it as demanding as ACADEMY or THE CROSSMEN ?

no , but it was much much cleaner.

My pick was the TROOPERS deserved it.

COLTS too old in design.

ACADEMY still too dirty.

Just because you weren't in Indy doesn't mean the entire dcp community shares that with you. Also drum corps is an activity based as much around consistency as performance. I don't think this poll is irrelevant simply because someone wasn't at one performance.

No but their opinion does not carry as much weight if they were not at finals.

You marched colts. bmroth is the parent of a colts member. I am related top someone at troop. All of these things cloud our judgements.

The judges however have nothing to benefit from putting one group over another and even though Troopers went on before Colts all season long (except Atlants and Indy) Troop still came out on top.

I believe the Colts should have beaten them by about 1.5 -2 points. It's not anything against the Troopers, I like them and met some very wonderful people in their organization, and congrats goes out to them. It's just my opinion that the Colts were better all around and had the better show. Many, many reviews I've read all same the same thing, "I love the Troop but....... I thought the Colts were better or had them or were going to get 12th so I'm pretty confident its not a biased opinion".

Your child also marched colts too, so your opinions are clouded.

Also...Of course you see people on here saying that colts should have beaten troop. You wont see people from troop saying troopers should have beat troop you know why?.... BECAUSE THEY DID!

1978 design?

Yeah not sure about that either. I did not think the colts design was very cleaver, but it was a decent program.

It should be noted that Colts did beat Troopers in effect. It was troop getting 11th in drums, brass, and visual performance that put them over the edge.