Mini Corps Championships....who will take second?

I'm dipping my toe back onto the forums here...

I'm a Star guy and one of the regrets I have about Friday night is that I don't really get to see too many groups. I go onto youtube and check them out later, but it's not the same of course. I have really enjoyed Mass Brass, Golden Eagles amd MB (I taught with a buddy who plays there) but haven't gotten a chance to see as much as I'd like. I guess I can't state who should be first, second or whatever. We don't talk much about competition, but when we do, it is about how everyone is likely better than last year.

It's interesting to hear peoples different perspectives on the whole entertaining thing. My first year was '07 and I had guys come up to me and say how professional we looked and sounded, instead of robotic, which is just interesting to see where tastes are.

I just thought I'd state that I have really enjoyed my experience in DCA. Playing in concert bands/orchestras in the area is great stuff, but not quite the same crowd reaction. :rolleyes:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I have to say is - be sure to check out the Freelancers!! Excellent arrangements, well played.

Can't wait to see youse guys this week!

For the record, when I saw mini corps in 2007 I had 2 groups above Star. Yours was one of them. Why? Because those 2 groups ENTERTAINED, had tons of solos and took chances.

Star? What did they have, a 10 second solo at that time? They were technically tight and squeaky clean but IMO failed to entertain. Do I think they had the talent to do a GREAT entertaining show? Probably. But they took NO such chances. They stood there like robots and executed perfectly and unemmotionally. It worked. They won that night.

Just my .000153 cents(thats 2cents adjusted for inflation and w/o any stimulus yet :rolleyes:

Hey Mike......thanks for your kind words.

Do I think we won that night in 2007? NO WAY. After seeing Star, I knew that was not going to happen. Did they entertain me? You bet your azz they did. They did because I appreciated what they did. And after seeing past DCI corps do what Star did that night, and hear it live.....well...it just simply blew me away. THAT is just one way I get entertained.

Now....do I think Star can be beat? You bet your azz I do. Otherwise, why would I continue to go back year after year. Each year, I like to challenge my group with the arrangements we play. Is it as hard as what Star plays? No....but, we play familiar music, we play it well, and the crowd can definitely go home humming our tunes. And this year will be no different. We have a really good show. Probably better than our 2007 show. If the judges see it our way, then great. If they don't, well......I won't mind placing 2nd to Star (or any other corps) any year!!! Just as long as the judges follow the sheets and score us all according to the sheets.

(And I really dont think Star would have a problem with being beat......just like the rest of us don't have a problem with Star beating us. We have all made that perfectly clear!!!!!!!)

Edited by FPonzo

Ghost Riders dont suck...

DA

I'm having flashback to last September's mini-corps war....

C'mon - you know you like a little war now and then...

(And I really dont think Star would have a problem with being beat......just like the rest of us don't have a problem with Star beating us. We have all made that perfectly clear!!!!!!!)

I think I can speak a bit for my group and say that we would be the first to shake the hands of anyone who knocks us off. No question.

As Herb Brooks said before the 1980 Olympics, "Someone's gonna beat those guys".

Personally, I love what Star does. People complain that in modern drum corps, everyone is the same. The beauty of the mini show is everyone is different.

I'm not really concerned with the competitive aspect at this point in my life. My "win" is turning around after the last note and seeing the crowd standing and cheering. So, in my eyes, we've been winning for years. Nothing beats the feeling of doing a great show, coming off stage, then being so hyped that you want to do it again.

Can't wait to feel it again Friday night!!!

Hey Mike......thanks for your kind words.

Do I think we won that night in 2007? NO WAY. After seeing Star, I knew that was not going to happen. Did they entertain me? You bet your azz they did. They did because I appreciated what they did. And after seeing past DCI corps do what Star did that night, and hear it live.....well...it just simply blew me away. THAT is just one way I get entertained.

Now....do I think Star can be beat? You bet your azz I do. Otherwise, why would I continue to go back year after year. Each year, I like to challenge my group with the arrangements we play. Is it as hard as what Star plays? No....but, we play familiar music, we play it well, and the crowd can definitely go home humming our tunes. And this year will be no different. We have a really good show. Probably better than our 2007 show. If the judges see it our way, then great. If they don't, well......I won't mind placing 2nd to Star (or any other corps) any year!!! Just as long as the judges follow the sheets and score us all according to the sheets.

Seriously....Ghost Riders dont suck. At all...

DA