1980 Banana Bowl!

So as I sit here eating breakfast watching old shows on FanNetwork I just realized that I've never seen a recording of the 1980 DCI Finals go long enough into Bridgemen's post-show football game for me to find out who "won"! Or rather, what exactly happened in the game after the broadcast cut them off and they had to let the next corps go on. I can only imagine what it must have felt like to watch the Bridgmen play a game of football while waiting to go on for your performance :cool:

So anyone who was there care to chime in as what happened?

Great show! Shame it didn't win (no offense to BD & 27). Though honestly think the female DM grinding up on a sop (and then some) might have been a bit too raunchy :tongue:

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

I don't think the game lasted much longer than what we saw, otherwise the Bridgemen would have been penalized big time.

So as I sit here eating breakfast watching old shows on FanNetwork I just realized that I've never seen a recording of the 1980 DCI Finals go long enough into Bridgemen's post-show football game for me to find out who "won"! Or rather, what exactly happened in the game after the broadcast cut them off and they had to let the next corps go on. I can only imagine what it must have felt like to watch the Bridgmen play a game of football while waiting to go on for your performance :thumbup:

So anyone who was there care to chime in as what happened?

Great show! Shame it didn't win (no offense to BD & 27). Though honestly think the female DM grinding up on a sop (and then some) might have been a bit too raunchy :thumbup:

it was a great show !!!!! The Bridgemen played the alabama fight song for their warm up before the show and it ended with said football game.....

If i remember correctly Bama was one of the teams the other didnt matter cause it was all for the fans in the stands....Bama won !!!!!

and as tommy stated...you seen like 85% of it...the rest was a pass, catch....and the whole corp ran off the field....

Not to many corps wanted to go on after us....even though they were better, the Bridgemen usually took the crowd at most of their shows....maybe didnt win the show but we got what we ALWAYS WANTED...."THE CROWD" !!!!!!! Most of the members in the corp would concur even now with the alumni corp....its wasnt about winning, it was about getting the people in the stands on their feet and enjoying what they see..... sure winning a ring is great, but how many get strangers come up to them " me as a lowly tenor player" and get asked for their autographs ? happened all the time....

at warmups...tons of people watching the corp warm up...it was like a mini show for us to get those people hyped up as they went into the show...

maaaaan I talked to much....sorry to bore you, but you brought up a favorite memory for me ....btw it was the 1st of 3 high drum wins in a row for the Bridgemen....just threw that in for ya :)

Rick Tabor

Hey Rick, I had an instructor who claimed to be the QB for that game. His name is Daryl Hernandez and I think he played baritone. Know anything about that?

it was a great show !!!!! The Bridgemen played the alabama fight song for their warm up before the show and it ended with said football game.....

If i remember correctly Bama was one of the teams the other didnt matter cause it was all for the fans in the stands....Bama won !!!!!

and as tommy stated...you seen like 85% of it...the rest was a pass, catch....and the whole corp ran off the field....

Not to many corps wanted to go on after us....even though they were better, the Bridgemen usually took the crowd at most of their shows....maybe didnt win the show but we got what we ALWAYS WANTED...."THE CROWD" !!!!!!! Most of the members in the corp would concur even now with the alumni corp....its wasnt about winning, it was about getting the people in the stands on their feet and enjoying what they see..... sure winning a ring is great, but how many get strangers come up to them " me as a lowly tenor player" and get asked for their autographs ? happened all the time....

at warmups...tons of people watching the corp warm up...it was like a mini show for us to get those people hyped up as they went into the show...

maaaaan I talked to much....sorry to bore you, but you brought up a favorite memory for me ....btw it was the 1st of 3 high drum wins in a row for the Bridgemen....just threw that in for ya :)

Rick Tabor

AMEN Brother !!! HYPE!

Hey Rick, I had an instructor who claimed to be the QB for that game. His name is Daryl Hernandez and I think he played baritone. Know anything about that?

I can confirm that Darryl Hernandez was the QB. I marched with him in the Campbell Knight Raiders.

Im sorry Bill, but i dont remember who was the QB .....wish i could help ya ......ahhh i'll ask around the corp, maybe someone remembers...

Rick

Great show! Shame it didn't win (no offense to BD & 27). Though honestly think the female DM grinding up on a sop (and then some) might have been a bit too raunchy :throwupen:

Diane Brady ! anybody know how she's doing? I have not seen her in a few years...

Daryl (GREAT guy!) was indeed the QB! It was an "end around" to Bernie the Bird for the score! I was supposed to be the QB, but I had missed the football game rehearsal, since I was at the hospital with my sick girlfriend. She recovered in time to do the final run-through, and she marched finals, as well! Wouldn't expect anything less from an Audobon Bon Bon, right?

Our Mace Line "stripped down" to their Crimson Tide Cheer-leading outfits!

If you look carefully, you will also see our entire staff wearing beige, and crimson Alabama Football Shirts!

Diane Brady is enjoying motherhood, she's got beautiful children! (of course!), and she is also enjoying a great career as a social worker! She still looks as beautiful as she did back in 1980!!!

If i remember correctly

Boy, imagine if they had played Auburn's fight song. :throwupen: