new format for finals

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well back in the day when it wasn't such a big "event" pre-lims were held during the day on friday with the big corps performing first on friday and then the other corps with afternoon was class a and all girl corps that performed that night if they were lucky to make those finals, then sat. AM the balance of open class corps competed to perform sat. night the Big Boys rather back then perform at 8-9 am and have the rest of the day/night to practice....my oh my have times changed (also by having the big boys perform early this also pushed the attendance up for the early blocks

The only real change that would benefit attendance is random line ups. People will show up to see their favorites but it might be nice for them to perhaps see a corps they might not otherwise had the chance to see. Who knows, but, I wasn't complaining when I got to sit in someone elses seat for the entire quarterfinals show. Third level 40 yard line. Great sound and perfect vision. Thanks whoever bought that seat and didn't bother showing up to use it. :lol:

If we can perfect time travel, we could hold Semifinals on Thursday and Quarterfinals on Friday and still take the top 17 corps for Semis. Then, afterwards all the corps get to perform for Quarterfinals the day after Semis. The only thing is those who can't get the knack for time travel would be seeing Semifinals before Quarterfinals. And if a few horn players don't come through the time-space continuum, we could have some small horn lines in Finals. Percussionists would just rip their way through.

I like this Time Travel idea. Hey, then we could just go back to all the finals nights before "The Fall" and relive our favorite shows in person. Set the Time Machine to 1980 first for Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Spirit of Atlanta, Madison, Crossmen and Bridgemen. Then we move forward to 1989 to see SCV's Phantom Show. On to 1995 for Madison's killer Spanish show. Then to 2000 for the Cadets. We now cautiously enter the Artsy Fartsy era for some of those great Cavaliers shows. (Machine, Fight Club, Four Corners and Machine.) Uh oh, were having trouble with the Flux Capasitor. It's malfunctioning due to excessive namby pamby themed "Marching Musical Theater" show designs and we must land back in 2009, where we set down in Indianapolis. Gotta get Professor Michio Kaku on the phone so he can repair the Time Machine and return us back to Drum and Bugle Corps heaven and out of Drum and Bflat Brass Corps hell. Hey, what's that? Looks like Satan walking out of the DCI office with a new 20 year contract for Finals in Lucas Oil Stadium. :lol:........

After all the expense a Corps makes to get to finals, I think having only one show quarter finals and then your out just sucks.

Why doesn't DCI do the following,

quarter finals every corps performs

semi finals every corps performs

finals top 15 performs,

BUT ony top 12 come on the field for awards

you may get more people to buy ticket based on additional performances of those groups not moving forward

it would have no affect on my ticket buying.

I have only been to finals twice. I was at quarters five times and semis five times.

I have not enjoyed myself nearly as much on Finals night as I have on quarters. As far as fans go, finals night is somewhat amateur night. I have encountered more "rude" fans at finals than any other night.

I get to see all the corps at quarters. That's why it's my favorite show of the year when I can attend. Semis, I watch the 14th through 11th place corps most intently...that's where the real battles should be.

They can leave the number of corps the same, but, since the whole week is now indoors anyway, I would love to see them start the shows earlier, particularly Finals. It would give people more time to party after the show (benefitting the Indy economy) and also let people get a decent night's sleep on Saturday before hitting the road or the airport. Nothing wrong with starting the first corps at Finals at 4:00 PM so we have it all wrapped up by 10:00 PM. This year, by the time we made it to the party, they were already making last call :worthy: !

I like this idea. More time at the Blue Stars' party at the Omni would have been great this year :lol::worthy: .

They can leave the number of corps the same, but, since the whole week is now indoors anyway, I would love to see them start the shows earlier, particularly Finals. It would give people more time to party after the show (benefitting the Indy economy) and also let people get a decent night's sleep on Saturday before hitting the road or the airport. Nothing wrong with starting the first corps at Finals at 4:00 PM so we have it all wrapped up by 10:00 PM. This year, by the time we made it to the party, they were already making last call :lol: !

I'm sure that would boost attendance at the "other class" finals when they start before dawn. Maybe if they move the DCI breakfast to a brunch....