Rules Proposal 3

How do you vote?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Vote!

• Sure!
    • Nah
    • Abstain

Rule Change: Off Season Bonus Points

Rationale: In the off season there are 2 different camps. One being the number crunchers who figure out before the season even starts, What their final score will be. The other being people who just play the game and see what happens. Now there is nothing wrong with the 1st camp, but I think there is a way to even out the playing (marching) field so to speak.

The season will run as normal they only difference is no one but the ED knows what the finals "salary cap" will be. We start the season a little lower than a live season (say 125-100-75). At which time we get an increase in points, the ED can give anywhere between 1 and 4 points. Thus during the season the points can go up from 5 to 20 points. More like the live season you have to play the points given and hope for the best.

Submitted by: VK Org.

Edited by CincinnatiGloryMello

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure... anything that can add a little excitement to the playing field.

Not sure at this time. It seems a bit arbitrary and turns it all into a guessing game. What happens if the "final tally" that the ED reveals is drastically different from what many directors pick? At the end of the season, those directors could be shafted when they can only change a couple of captions, while those that took a "lucky shot in the dark" at the start of the season might get the benefit.

I won't lie, I'm pretty solidly in the first camp and won at least 2 titles using that strategy. But to me, that's the point of the off-season. It rewards directors who can process data and come up with the right combination of captions.

But like I said, I'm open-minded. Somebody convince me on this.

Not sure at this time. It seems a bit arbitrary and turns it all into a guessing game. What happens if the "final tally" that the ED reveals is drastically different from what many directors pick? At the end of the season, those directors could be shafted when they can only change a couple of captions, while those that took a "lucky shot in the dark" at the start of the season might get the benefit.

I won't lie, I'm pretty solidly in the first camp and won at least 2 titles using that strategy. But to me, that's the point of the off-season. It rewards directors who can process data and come up with the right combination of captions.

I vote Nay.

I also won't lie: I'm in the first camp. I seem to recall that in Season 11 there were three or four sets of captions that would produce the same highest score, and one of those sets wasn't discovered until a week before Finals.

I had one of those top sets.

I still finished fourth.

The fact the off-seasons use generated scores provides enough variability that there's no "guarantees" for the number crunchers.

I don't necessarily think the proposal is a bad idea, per se, I just don't think it's necessary.

Nay.

Yes – Well it would be hard to convince someone who is solidly in the 1st camp. My argument is that there is not way to be “shafted” if a director was playing the season with the points given. The only way that could happen is if they tried to predict what the final cap would be and select captions from there.

There will be directors who still choose to go that route, although it would be a gamble. OR they could just play the points give, then work out where they would go if they got 2 more, 3 more, 4 more points. Make their caption changes. Then start the process over, where will I go if I got 1 more, 2 more, 3 more points.

It’s just a more fair way of managing your corps. Everyone is in the same boat so to speak.

I vote Nay.

I also won't lie: I'm in the first camp. I seem to recall that in Season 11 there were three or four sets of captions that would produce the same highest score, and one of those sets wasn't discovered until a week before Finals.

Ah, I remember having one of those. Good times. :thumbup:

Personally, though I'm not entirely convinced either, I'm also confused as well. It's probably just me not processing everything fully.

With that said, I won't vote for or against it.

FDO ABSTAINS.

as a first camper--vote no...we are all in the same boat already---if everyone wants to spend hours like us trying to figure out number one--they can

I do have to add however--I am not dead set against some changes to the off season so it isnt such a sure thing--yet I dont know if I want it to be such a crap shoot either...

Edited by gcurrier

Nah.

Yes,

We need some unpredictablity in non live seasons...