Parades with more drum corp presence!

Of course there are tunes designated to just the parade routine. But the OP knows what I am talking about. For the parade mentioned there two leads and the 1st baritone that was there quit immediately after the parade. There were no other 1st baris there so I had to play tthe bari solo at the Rochester DCA show that night.

St. Joes is used to doing parades undermanned, and still deliver a great sound, but the point is that not everyone wants to do them. Good thing that there is enough die hards that will put their best foot forward when they are able to. Summer vacations, DCI tours for some of us, and just plain unwillingness sometimes keep a group for the best showing possible.

I know the original poster...and he can play a mean version of Tosca!!! He also is the poster boy for Dyngus Day in Cheektowaga every year.

DA

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Donny that starts another whole conversation... Keeping the numbers up...Turn out, Distance members travel now...Schedule changes that have happened over the last 15 years.. It's tough to keep it going for sure...Adding performances is difficult... Not having the revenue from performances makes it difficult to support the budget...But this conversation is for a fall / winter mess here on DCP.. LOL

Yeah I know, Hawthorne's alumni had a tough time having their guys show up. At their last parade they only had 70horns..........But the beauty is, they were all horses, so they made do. LOL

Of course there are tunes designated to just the parade routine. But the OP knows what I am talking about. For the parade mentioned there two leads and the 1st baritone that was there quit immediately after the parade. There were no other 1st baris there so I had to play tthe bari solo at the Rochester DCA show that night.

St. Joes is used to doing parades undermanned, and still deliver a great sound, but the point is that not everyone wants to do them. Good thing that there is enough die hards that will put their best foot forward when they are able to. Summer vacations, DCI tours for some of us, and just plain unwillingness sometimes keep a group for the best showing possible.

I know the original poster...and he can play a mean version of Tosca!!! He also is the poster boy for Dyngus Day in Cheektowaga every year.

DA

Thanks for that compliment Donny. Perks up the Polish Pride. Most requested tune for next years Dyngus Day parade in Buffalo will be WHO STOLE THE KIEZKA. Who's in?

Here in Western NY a volunteer firemen's convention is held once a year in the hometown of the outgoing president. This is a 3 day affair ending with a huge parade (many years go I may add) with many corps playing for their local fire departments and competing for the top prize of a few bucks. Along with many high school bands, it was truly a spectators delight. At times some corps did double duty. Many played for a few cases of beer at the firemen's tent. All in all, it was a helluva time to be sure. In the July heat, one does build up quite a thirst.

Sadly, I witnessed last year's parade and I counted 2 musical units (could have been double vision, but who's counting) for the entire parade and to much distance between divisions. Times a changing! Back then, the convention ended on Wednesdays followed by the parade at 3 or so, then changed to a Saturday afternoon and drum corp dwindled. Now, that parade is held on a Friday evening and it aint gettin better.

Yeah Ed, the Irondequoit Fourth of July parade was great with all those corps and did not have to search them out. Heard them before I got out of the truck. Cant forget Prime Time added to that mix and it was fun to be part of it all. Being the last corp down the street, its always a pleasure to stop and play Georgia for a very appreciative crowd. And with ice cream at the end! What a deal!!!!

I have grown up in parade corps in the Mid Hudson Valley of NYS. In addition to the usual St. Pattys Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, there are volunteer firemen's conventions in each of the local counties in addition to the Hudson Valley Firemen's Convention (this year's was held in Lake George with well over 100 NY fire companies) that keeps many parade corps gainfully employed. There has been years where we've (tcl.org) had over 30 parades (too much for my taste). In this area, the work is there. Also, check out Tappan Zee Bridgemen (tzbmusic.com), a professional group I play with that exists just for parades.

The fact that some corps actually pay to be in a parade baffles me!

I have grown up in parade corps in the Mid Hudson Valley of NYS. In addition to the usual St. Pattys Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, there are volunteer firemen's conventions in each of the local counties in addition to the Hudson Valley Firemen's Convention (this year's was held in Lake George with well over 100 NY fire companies) that keeps many parade corps gainfully employed. There has been years where we've (tcl.org) had over 30 parades (too much for my taste). In this area, the work is there. Also, check out Tappan Zee Bridgemen (tzbmusic.com), a professional group I play with that exists just for parades.

The fact that some corps actually pay to be in a parade baffles me!

Hi Greg ... long time no see ... I'd like to point out also that many FD's in this area (NY/NJ/CT) contract out a single corps to represent them in multiple local parades ... some times up to five a year, including the Convention Parade ... some corps can pull in a pretty penny by alligning themselves with the right FD and having a corps that can win their group some trophies (bragging rights) ... so ... look for a sponsoring group (FD, Elks, etc) you can represent in your locale ... it's worth the effort ...

:-)

Hi Greg ... long time no see ... I'd like to point out also that many FD's in this area (NY/NJ/CT) contract out a single corps to represent them in multiple local parades ... some times up to five a year, including the Convention Parade ... some corps can pull in a pretty penny by alligning themselves with the right FD and having a corps that can win their group some trophies (bragging rights) ... so ... look for a sponsoring group (FD, Elks, etc) you can represent in your locale ... it's worth the effort ...

:-)

Yes, and also lets not forget the ELKS in NJ. I know many of the Alumni Corps are used (PAID) for the Big NJ State "Elks Parade". (NY Skyliners - Blessed Sacrament -Yankee Rebels - Reilly Raiders - Archer Epler Musketeers - Melrose Black Hawks - GrenaDears All Girls - Brooklyn United - Lambertville Volunteers and MORE) What a Parade. At least 9 Drum and Bugle Corps. Then add a few DCI (Surf, Raiders) and/or DCA (Fusion) groups or so, most years, and that is some Parade!!!! Not to mention all the: HS Bands, Bag Pipers, Fife & Drum units and Mummers.

But some of the different Elks lodges also use some them for other things.

Edited by OldStyleCorps

Saturday, August 29th, 4 or more Corps will parade in Roseto, PA.

see link: http://www.columbiafireco.org/parade.html

We march in 3-4 parades a year. The biggest of course in Plymouth, Mass in November. All nine corps appearing in the reunion show that night march in the parade. The other parades usually have the same contingent of Defenders, Crusader Seniors and St. Kevin's. Throw in the Crusaders and Citations during July parades.

• 2 weeks later...
Saturday, August 29th, 4 or more Corps will parade in Roseto, PA.

see link: http://www.columbiafireco.org/parade.html

Nice seeing and getting to play along side your group at this parade in Roseto, Pa. last Saturday. The Emmaus Sentinels, Reilly Raiders and yourself provided quite a bit of excitement for the crowd and won much approval from everyone there. Many friendships were renewed amongst these corps members. Too bad there is bad taste with the so-called other corps that was there - it seems their drum major was a bit disturbed that they didn't receive the same fee that the other corps received since he feels they deserved better. Come on drum major of the other corps, wake up - with the very sluggish drumline your corps had plus the immaturity of your hornline, be happy that you even were there amongst the other 3 corps even though your corps just stood around when the other corps took turns in playing a tune for each other. It's a sad day when certain other corps are represented by such individuals who don't have a clue what real drum corps is all about and that they cannot appreciate the commaradarie that is shared amongst corps and join in the fun and not worry about what the others were doing. Too bad the activity has to have this type try to represent drum corps. Anyhow for those that can share in the fun of drum corps - keep on marching.