Question for critics of the synths/electronics

Damaging to their technique, as in the darlings can't possibly adjust their technique? Please, let's give them more credit. BTW, why haven't pits adjusted their technique to that coveted concert hall style? They've had amps for years now.

They have.

Plus they use mallets that permit more tonal resonance and less harshness (i.e. softer mallets) as was the case before amps, which also extends the life of the keys.

One of the common complaints I've seen here about synthesizers (or guitars, basses, samplers, etc) is that the volume can be turned up without any extra effort from the performer, as opposed to acoustic instruments. However, what about the micing of the keyboard instruments in the pit, or brass soloists? Sure, they can produce more sound through physical effort, but so can most electronic instruments/patches. Anything that's miced can be turned up quite a bit by just changing settings on a mixer. Why is this only considered a problem for purely electronic instruments?

I'm not trying to make this a "gotcha" topic, I'm genuinely curious to hear what the critics think. It may just be that the people who've voiced this concern also want no amps at all, I dunno.

I think that's a very narrow subset of the general arguments we've seen about this issue. Here's my own opinion of the whole deal:

1. I've grudgingly accepted amplified pit. At least the people are playing acoustic instruments that are being amplified. I still find the amplified sound distracting and somewhat anachronistic to the whole ensemble, but I'm dealing with it. But as others have said, balance is still an issue. The volume is being cranked up for the press box, which is a mighty narrow audience to try to please.

2. I do not like synthesized sounds in drum corps. I gave it a season. I did not comment often on any particular use of them. I got very tired of people using the synth to hype their bass sound, and other sounds just felt forced to me. I would like synths to go the way of narration: a few corps MIGHT use it, but it would be nice if most corps would be able to compete successfully without it - especially without the hyper-bass.

• Thanks 1

2. I do not like synthesized sounds in drum corps. I gave it a season. I did not comment often on any particular use of them. I got very tired of people using the synth to hype their bass sound, and other sounds just felt forced to me. I would like synths to go the way of narration: a few corps MIGHT use it, but it would be nice if most corps would be able to compete successfully without it - especially without the hyper-bass.

THANK YOU

Brass players and drummers have to carry instuments in invented ways, play very loudly, and point their instruments to the press box while running. Ways that ARE NOT USED in the orchestral setting.

If instruments must be played "as if they were truely in a concert hall", then play them in a concert hall. In case it has escaped some folks, drum corps shows aren't performed in a "hall".

Its thinking like this that is the reason that drum corps will NEVER be accepted as an artform by the concert crowd.

One of the common complaints I've seen here about synthesizers (or guitars, basses, samplers, etc) is that the volume can be turned up without any extra effort from the performer, as opposed to acoustic instruments. However, what about the micing of the keyboard instruments in the pit, or brass soloists? Sure, they can produce more sound through physical effort, but so can most electronic instruments/patches. Anything that's miced can be turned up quite a bit by just changing settings on a mixer. Why is this only considered a problem for purely electronic instruments?

Oh, both are considered "problems", but of different types. The primary distinction is that the synth is being used by some corps to try and make their brass section sound stronger by doubling brass parts and using patches with similar sound characteristics to brass, a tactic that had no equivalent in the pre-2009 DCI pit.

With amplification, pit percussion members can now play as if they are truly in the concert hall, without worrying about playing in ways that are potentially damaging to their technique.

But they're not in a concert hall -- geez, next you're gonna claim that the horn players should sit in chairs like in a concert hall and ..... oh, wait .... nevermind

:lol:

Its thinking like this that is the reason that drum corps will NEVER be accepted as an artform by the concert crowd.

My point is that no instruments in a drum corps are played "as if they are truly in a concert hall", because they are truly on a football field. If the goal is to play with "concert hall" technique, then the entire idea of "marching music" would have to be scrapped.

A stadium isn't a concert hall, and playing while moving isn't conducive to "concert hall" technique. Adding electricity to one section isn't going to change this, so why not just concentrate on performing "marching music" in a marching style and stop trying to reinvent the wheel?

And the segment of the "concert crowd" that will never accept drum corps has only themselves to blame for missing out on one of the most exciting musical genres ever conceived.

I agree with you to an extent. Firstly, I consider myself a part of the "concert crowd," (am on grad faculty for piano) and I do consider drum corps an art form. I LOVE drum corps.

However, I have seen some of my music profs either: 1. Walk out of a drum corps show OR 2. Say, "Don't tell anyone I was here."

So, gah, I don't know man. I wish more people liked this stuff.

I think you'll find that most people who are opposed to synths on here are also opposed to anything plugged in that amplifies sound or creates sound at the press of a button or a key.

or not. i was against amplification of the pit because i predicted what it would lead to.

and we're 95% of the way there