Question for critics of the synths/electronics

I know I am in a very small minority, but I would love to see a rule that anything used in a corps performance has to be capable of being marched with. Use what you will grounded, bring it on or off on a cart, trailer or pack mule, that's all good, but be capable of being used while moving since this is after all "Marching Music's" major league.

*Said, of course, from as safe and flame retardant place as possible*

And of course, we are going to expect someone with a marching kettle drum to do the high-velocity drill from this year's HNC and CC shows. Sure. Good luck with that one.

Actually, most of the pit gear is on wheels. You could push around a marimba, marching to it - it could work. Mind you, whoever marches with that marimba will be going pretty slow.....

Look, I am a card-carrying dinosaur, troll, reactionary - I deserve whatever monicker I am given. But even I don't think we need to go back to marching kettle drums or marching xylophones. Sure, they wee a test of manhood, to carry around on the marching field for an entire summer. But they slow down the drill, and would impact that shows visually.

Let the kids with the pit instruments play in the pit. Just turn off the ridiculous amplifiers, so we can hear the other instruments in the ensemble - not just the xylophones and marimbas!

Edited by oldschooldbc

And of course, we are going to expect someone with a marching kettle drum to do the high-velocity drill from this year's HNC and CC shows. Sure. Good luck with that one.

Actually, most of the pit gear is on wheels. You could push around a marimba, marching to it - it could work. Mind you, whoever marches with that marimba will be going pretty slow.....

Look, I am a card-carrying dinosaur, troll, reactionary - I deserve whatever monicker I am given. But even I don't think we need to go back to marching kettle drums or marching xylophones. Sure, they wee a test of manhood, to carry around on the marching field for an entire summer. But they slow down the drill, and would impact that shows visually.

Let the kids with the pit instruments play in the pit. Just turn off the ridiculous amplifiers, so we can hear the other instruments in the ensemble - not just the xylophones and marimbas!

I said I am OK with grounding instruments to play them, even posting them for the entire show. Even I don't think we need tympani lines again. (Even though they were one of the coolest things ever!). I just believe that limiting all items used in a performance to those that could be picked up and marched off with would simplify a lot of things, and put the activity more in touch with its roots.

I also said I didn't expect many to agree with me.

Jeff, this is Hrothgar. Hrothgar, this is Jeff.

Hrothtgar, Jeff will pick you up on the way to Rochester, even though it's a bit out of his way. But, being the kind of guy he is, I'm sure he wouldn't mind just to add another fan to the DCA family.

Bring gas and munchie money.

Problem solved!

Garry in Vegas

you're right. he is out of the way.

however if he can get to harrisburg I may have room for him on the roof.

cooler....Hroth.

sorry, the cooler wins :throwupen:

We're poor college students who live in the middle of West Philadelphia...no one has a car up here. Makes for terrible drum corps viewing situations. Taking SEPTA back from West Chester University at 11:30 at night is NOT an experience I would like to repeat any time soon. :throwupen:

Hahaha, not the best experience, is it. If I'm not marching next year, you can crash at my place and I'll drive you back, haha.

I said I am OK with grounding instruments to play them, even posting them for the entire show. Even I don't think we need tympani lines again. (Even though they were one of the coolest things ever!). I just believe that limiting all items used in a performance to those that could be picked up and marched off with would simplify a lot of things, and put the activity more in touch with its roots.

I also said I didn't expect many to agree with me.

That sounds perfectly reasonable. Perhaps keyboard players could go back to using smaller marching versions and then ground them upon entering the field. I can't imagine the expense of buying multiple concert keyboards-I know it's one that smaller corps must struggle to pay as they don't have deals like the larger ones.

Since synths are this new, maybe design teams are still getting used to incorporating them into their shows? If you think they have promise but haven't been utilized fully yet, how about giving it a few years?

Actually...I'm pretty sure that is exactly what I said,...almost word for word.

I think you have promise, but your reading skills haven't been utilized fully yet. Eh, maybe in a few years. :throwupen:

This post was meant to be funny.

Since synths are this new, maybe design teams are still getting used to incorporating them into their shows? If you think they have promise but haven't been utilized fully yet, how about giving it a few years?

Yeah but we've also been told that the "best and the brightest" in the MB world would be involved and they have been doing this for years. Ooops.... that was during the amps discussions.... and there are threads grumbling about amp use too....

Gee, synths are new to the MB world too.... right. :tongue:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari
  • Like 1

Yeah but we've also been told that the "best and the brightest" in the MB world would be involved and they have been doing this for years. Ooops.... that was during the amps discussions.... and there are threads grumbling about amp use too....

Gee, synths are new to the MB world too.... right. :tongue:

yeah i said that too.