Worst Championships Venue

That's my home man! You don't talk about a man's home like that! :peek:

In all seriousness though - I aged out in Jackson so from a members perspective I can say that it was erm... less than ideal? We had to walk past crumbling crack houses to get to our practice field all week if that tells you anything.

But one thing that I have to disagree on - again, from a member's perspective - I thought the field itself is one of the nicest I've ever marched on. The turf was perfect. There was nice hedging around the perimeter of the field. And I guess DCI had the field painted or something and it had a nice deep shade of green and the DCI logo painted on each 15 yard line looked nice. It looks great on the videos (which, purely by coincidence, I was watching the 93 vids when I came across this thread). Compare that to the mud pit in Foxboro the following year in 94 which looks absolutely terrible on the videos.

Oh, man, Bart....every time this thread comes up I think about you and how people are going to start bagging on Jackson. I know 'cause I'm guilty of it myself. :throwupen: But I was just going to say the same thing--despite all of the B.S. surrounding the event, the actual show itself came off really well. I remember having a ball on Finals night. The rain even gave Madison a chance to hype a little!

They did paint the field, didn't they? They even repainted it between semis and finals, because if you watch the PBS broadcast tape, the 7-12 corps clips come from semis, and the field is quite a bit browner in the middle--like the last round of Wimbledon--and then the next day it is a lush shade of green again!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, man, Bart....every time this thread comes up I think about you and how people are going to start bagging on Jackson.

A man's gotta defend his home you know. :throwupen:

Chris - I miss you man! I haven't seen you in 15 years and the only time we talk is when we swap posts once a year when I have to defend Jackson in the annual "What's the worst venue" thread - haha!

Yes, yes, the field was indeed quite nice at Jackson...

right up until it was COMPLETELY COVERED IN WATER and then the LIGHTNING CAME.

God was telling us to Get Out Of Mississippi. If finals had run another hour, I'm convinced that the walls of the stadium were going to start bleeding.

Yes, yes, the field was indeed quite nice at Jackson...

right up until it was COMPLETELY COVERED IN WATER and then the LIGHTNING CAME.

God was telling us to Get Out Of Mississippi. If finals had run another hour, I'm convinced that the walls of the stadium were going to start bleeding.

I've been reviewing the '93 finals video, and I can't see where the field was ever "covered in water". Can you give me a corps and time so I can see it?

Thanks...

MOST HATED VENUE:

9. Indianapolis - Horrible accoustics. Stadium design is isolating (lots of levels/pockets of seats/seperate hallways & areas) - prevents the usual socializing. Hate, hate, hate not having finals under the stars - takes away part of the magic. Indoor stadium makes DCI feel small, or less epic. Most of all though, horrible accoustics - and disturbing talk of corps needing to adjust programming in future years to accomodate the indoor accoustics. :(

Harvey

AGREE!! Down right terrible.

I've been reviewing the '93 finals video, and I can't see where the field was ever "covered in water". Can you give me a corps and time so I can see it?

Thanks...

Not quite in the middle of Madison's show, it was more so during the performance of that other group, The High City Hyperbolists.

Pasadena was awful...DCI picked the worst possible venue for the one time finals came to the west coast.

Would you have preferred the LA Coliseum??? :throwupen:

I thought Pasadena was a blast.

The sound carried very well up to the press box, the atmosphere was electric, huge crowd, perfect weather, endless things to do around the venue, easy to fly into, etc...

The traffic was not bad at all either. My main complaint was the stadium wasn't exactly cleaned. I wore flip-flops and my feet were black when I got home.

There were plans to do a $300million renovation to the stadium, which was to be paid privately, but the people voted it down. Not sure why.

Dallas in '91 was a special kind of sh*thole. I remember waking up the morning of finals, opening the door to my hotel room at 9am and getting blasted like I was in a sauna. I also remember insects the size of small birds covering my white rental.

Didn't go to Jackson, but don't doubt for a minute that it was horrid.

Edited by hughesmr

I'll throw in my vote for Miami. Bad part of town, and I recall some horns were stolen at finals. Practicing and performing in South Florida in August was miserable. By the time finals came around that field was thrashed. It was a serious disappointment after Montreal (even with the reverb in the dome).

I've seen many comments about Jackson, but nobody's said a word about Birmingham.

Would you have preferred the LA Coliseum??? :tongue:

Its not like those are the only 2 stadiums on the west coast. One could look up in SF or down in San Diego.