Worst Championships Venue

BEST TO WORST

1. Denver 2004 (Where I aged out)

2. Lucas Oil 2009 (Where Troopers made Finals)

3. Madison 2002 (Whatever)

4. Buffalo 2001 (Whatever)

5. Orlando 2003 (RAIN, RAIN, RAIN)

6. Pasadena 2007 (Took forever to get in to the stands, lights buzzing, almost couldn't get into Quarterfinals with the corps because of stupid locals running the gate.)

I wasn't around in 2000 or 2005.

Mike

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I was told by DCI employees and insiders, 2007 was the highest PAID recorded attendance in DCI History. I was told that any figures before and since 2007 are either lower or "guesses" (including the fabled Montreal attendance numbers: I don't care what a score board says, I'm told that number is literally a made-up guess).

I hope that DCI comes back out west sometime (maybe during that off-year?): if not California, Denver would be great. DCI should hopefully realize that if location X produces the highest paid customers in history, and location y = some of the lowest (reports I heard form a corps director regarding Lucas Oil were 18,000 Finals night), then perhaps a trip back West would be wise financially.

Well, thats simply not true. Debating pro or con on DCP isnt gonna make facts change and 2007 was not the highest "paid" recorded attendance in DCI history.

G

Orlando was the worst stadium of the last ten years that I had the misfortune of being in. The weather in Florida that year might have led to DCI moving to a dome for finals now, as I understand if Finals rains out DCI goes under.

I understand that there was a similar problem with weather in Jackson, but as that was more than ten years ago it is not a viable response to the OP.

In Jackson it came a downpour. Rained buckets for a while. I remember watching a big chunk of the show with a trash bag on.

BUT the difference between then and now is the show went on. You could do that back then. All the new changes that bring items that will electrocute people kinda of screw that plan up.

Bloomington was the WORST finals I've been to. And the only one too. That said, the only real complaint I had was my housing site was 2 hours from IU! :tongue:

Edited by Dir_en_X

Whatever the stadium is Mississippi was called, that was it. I could go on for paragraphs about the problems there.

Never been to Cornell, Philidelphia, Buffalo or the Citrus Bowl.

Of or Indiana U either

madison, 2002.

the whole place was under construction. no place to park. no place to warm up. exceedingly long walks for the corps. the most overhyped stadium in the history of the activity.

let me get my hurt locker suit on.

There's always construction and never any place to park!

Well, thats simply not true. Debating pro or con on DCP isnt gonna make facts change and 2007 was not the highest "paid" recorded attendance in DCI history.

G

Maybe they were going with the gross take rather than the number of people, like they do with movies.

Bloomington was the WORST finals I've been to. And the only one too.

So Bloomington was also the best you've been to?

As far as my experience (where I've actually been) goes:

1. Lucas Oil Stadium

isn't that frightening?! I can't wait until finals next year, when I can go to a new stadium.

Oh... wait.

:(

But seriously, Lucas Oil sucks for the fans (for reasons already mentioned and very well known), and for anyone in a performing corps whose duty it is to listen back (what's up, pit). But I can't complain about the parking lot (except the announcer... "missile-like objects") and the walk/push to the field (quite decent, besides the mega hill coming out). I'm not a huge fan of the area, but it's still pretty neat.

One thing I remember about Bloomington (from video) that no one has mentioned yet (at least, not on the first three pages, the rest of which I skipped)... the shadow of the home stands was ridiculous during the first 10 corps. The cameras' exposure made it so only the outside or inside of the shadow was visible at any given time. Kind of annoying.

G

OK. You're saying DCI is wrong that a) 2007 was the highest recorded paid attendance since DCI has been keeping track and/or b) anything pre-early/mid-90's were guesstimates at best (and over hyping flat-out falsities at worst).

We've probably all been to professional sporting events that looked empty and gasped when the score board presents the attendance for the event. But someone I know that works for an MLB team explained how they do their official attendance and it made sense. I think it's possible (and probable) that in the past non-official counts the guesstimates might've included what DCI/stadium officials think were in the stadium at the time (corps staffs/volunteers, corps members who didn't make Finals that were in the stadium watching from the free seats, etc).

Either way, there is absolutely no way to know what the attendance numbers were in the 70's or 80's at DCI Championships.

And no offense to anyone here, but I trust DCI employees more than fans claiming "I remember the at least 30 thousand people in the stadium at Finals." It's undeniable that the seats were PACKED at the Rose Bowl Finals night, more so than any Championship venue in a long time.