Forget Woodwinds – Beware of WGI

Would you agree with me that Phantom's music was championship worthy? I thought so. I think they're the poster child for the argument you're making.

I think Phantom 2008 is the perfect example.....if it were not for the brass judge (who's performance was questionable), Phantom would have swept the musical judge sheets at finals last year, yet only won by .05 due to astronomical scores given to BD's visual program.

I think there were very few fans at the show who didn't feel that Phantom won the 2008 title show hands down.....however, this year, I think things just got pushed back hard the other way..........unfortunately.............

GB

Predictions: Some within 5 years, some within 10:

1) Attendance will continue to go down as it sounds like it did this year.

I give that Prediction maybe 1-2 Seasons at best. I'm a little leery that we could see attendance #'s similiar to the dreaded '96-98 seasons all over again

Edited by Zeke

I totally agree with you...........

Until 1994, music was 65 percent of the score.....and 6 music judges to 3 visual....by 2000, it was "gunned down" to 50/50 and an even split with the judges. The judge education leadership at DCI are WGI people. Many veteran music and brass judges have left the activity. Corps with strong visual programs somehow seem to "automatically" get inflated music marks, even if they seem questionable......scoring spreads in the musical captions among contenders are rare, but commonplace in visual.

We have great musical products without any weakness which brought the house down coming in 5th and also losing music effect, while two programs with musical deficiencies are in the top 4. DCI just signed a long term contract with a venue that is arguably the worst sounding championship stadium in DCI's history.....so bad, that from up top, the product can not be properly evaluated from a musical standpoint. There was a proposal by the education director, who is a WGI individual, to eliminate music effect/visual effect separations, and only have a single effect caption (it was defeated.....imagine have a color guard/visual judge making finite calls between musical products).

Unless there is a quick "changing of the guard" in judging leadership and re-education of all of the music caption judging, DCI will continue on it's course of rapidly becoming "WGI Summer Division", and the musical products will be an afterthought/secondary to the visual presentations.

GB

50/50 is fine but...

music judges have to give constant props for physical demands.

yet visual judges NEVER give props for musical demands.

so the commentary is actually 65/35 visual, especially upstairs.

and until the visual side recognizes the demands of the music side and how it may affect the visual performance, it will be screwed up

Would you agree with me that Phantom's music was championship worthy? I thought so. I think they're the poster child for the argument you're making.

Agreed. I could see Phantom '09's brass book in a championship show any day of the week.

50/50 is fine but...

music judges have to give constant props for physical demands.

yet visual judges NEVER give props for musical demands.

so the commentary is actually 65/35 visual, especially upstairs.

and until the visual side recognizes the demands of the music side and how it may affect the visual performance, it will be screwed up

Well said!

I personally love WGI and openly welcome more WGI-esque type themes in DCI!

NO..for all that is holy, let's have more marchin' and blowin'!!! Maybe some rapid changing formations, company fronts, music we know, guard spinning, throwing and doin' whatever the hell they do as long as they stay out of the way of the brass! Now that's exciting! :throwupen:

Edited by Plan9

I agree with the original poster.

Evidence seems to suggest DCI is morphing into a form of pageantry that already exists in WGI/BOA, etc. The DCI influence will bring that same pageantry to audiences on a much bigger scale. The new, full-field spectacle WILL require the controlled conditions of dome stadiums. That will allow lighting effects, large set pieces, high tech electronics, laser beams, etc. It will also prevent weather issues from getting in the way of scheduling.

Time will tell if the "enhanced" drum corps product will generate an even bigger audience for its performers. I believe it will, but I don't expect to be in that group. I grew up with an entirely different drum corps. Things change, I guess.

I agree with the original poster.

Evidence seems to suggest DCI is morphing into a form of pageantry that already exists in WGI/BOA, etc. The DCI influence will bring that same pageantry to audiences on a much bigger scale. The new, full-field spectacle WILL require the controlled conditions of dome stadiums. That will allow lighting effects, large set pieces, high tech electronics, laser beams, etc. It will also prevent weather issues from getting in the way of scheduling.

Time will tell if the "enhanced" drum corps product will generate an even bigger audience for its performers. I believe it will, but I don't expect to be in that group. I grew up with an entirely different drum corps. Things change, I guess.

Every time I see today's guard uniforms, err costumes, the thought that crosses my mind is, "What would Fred look like in one of those?"