Forget Woodwinds – Beware of WGI

4 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

If you're going to move Drum Corps to hockey/basketball arenas,you'll have to reduce the size of corps.

A hockey rink is roughly 1/3 the size of a football field.

So does that mean corps of 50 or so MM ?

Hockey Rinks are something like 80 feet x 200 feet. That's not too much smaller the the amount of surface corps utilize now. Yes, I envision ensembles (casts?) in number of 90-100. That would more than fill the space without having to amplify the entire front sideline. So, as another poster mentioned Blast, yes. A bigger, enhanced production that would be enjoyed by an audience viewing from now-elevated seating.

I'm not sure an arena version is a practical evolution going forward, but do believe the concept needs to be studied over the next decade. There are benefits, maybe not enough.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Hockey Rinks are something like 80 feet x 200 feet. That's not too much smaller the the amount of surface corps utilize now. Yes, I envision ensembles (casts?) in number of 90-100. That would more than fill the space without having to amplify the entire front sideline. So, as another poster mentioned Blast, yes. A bigger, enhanced production that would be enjoyed by an audience viewing from now-elevated seating.

I'm not sure an arena version is a practical evolution going forward, but do believe the concept needs to be studied over the next decade. There are benefits, maybe not enough.

They are never going to stop amplifying the pit, no matter how the size and staging changes.

20 hours ago, garfield said:

I'll start:  My own experience leads me to believe that the future will have fewer shows, more "scripted" show formats (not the corps' performances), and more centralization of functions in order to create a clearer identity that better aligns with whichever performance idiom best reaches the potential marching members.  DCI's influence, WGI's influence, BOA's influence... does it really matter?  Don't they ALL represent a "natural" path of evolution for a growing music student?

It seems to me that there's more to be gained by an alliance than by trying to dominate/defeat one another.

I do not see any such conflict between DCI, WGI and BOA that would result in one being "defeated".  They all serve distinctly different portions of the calendar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

If you want to kill this trend Fred have them play at Hershey. The concrete roof and walls bounce sounds REAL good. Not to mention the concrete floor if not covered right. Been there with a Corps for Youth Olympics event and still hear the echo...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2009 at 1:08 PM, fifer said:

Yet another thread just opened regarding the fear of DCI adding woodwinds. But it seems to me that the more immediate concern should be over drum corps being significantly affected by a move away from show designs that focus on music and movement and toward shows designed around the color guard and WGI-type themes.

You need only look as far as Blue Devils 2009 for an example of this as a trend that show designers are taking and, more significantly, that judges are rewarding. And with judges rewarding this design style, it won’t be long before many other corps follow suit and, as a result, change the face of drum corps forever.

And if finals remain in Lucan Oil Stadium (with its crappy sight lines and disturbing echo), corps will have even more reason to play/march less and act, pose, do gynmastics, move chairs, etc. more.

So while everyone is so worried about woodwinds, drum corps is changing significantly right under our noses and few seem to be saying or doing anything about it.

I believe the term "WGI-ification" has already been coined.  If not, there it is...……………………..

Someone call Webster

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

That's not too much smaller the the amount of surface corps utilize now.

It depends on the corps and the show.

I've never marched ,so please forgive me if I don't use all the correct technical

terms.

A number of corps have shows,including props,that go end zone to end zone.

On a hockey rink there also aren't "sidelines" to "stage" equipment,musicians,etc.

Corps also position their MM in the corners of a field to create a visual or musical  effect.

"Blast" worked because it incorporated a 'best of drum corps" into a single show.

Putting a number of incohesive show designs,with different corps,in different orders every night,doesn't

seem like a viable concept.

I also don't know what kind of "surface" most arenas have.

I presume smooth concrete.

That leads to all kinds of issues with "footing"

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I do not see any such conflict between DCI, WGI and BOA that would result in one being "defeated".  They all serve distinctly different portions of the calendar.

I agree.  But I also see a vacuum in the position of "leader" of performance competition.  Is there one?  Does the activity need avant-guard design, and according to whom?

Will there be, or is there now, design consistency that allows the participants to fluidly move from one idiom to another?  Stylistic consistency that doesn't require re-teaching of skills?

I'm not a professional musician, writer, arranger, or designer but I can't tell if the DCI product is being led by BOA/WGI or if it leads them. 

I honestly like the direction things are going.  This past years top 12 was one of the most entertaining shows top to bottom I have ever seen in drum corps.  I say bring on guard innovation.  I am looking forward to the day when objects other than rifles/guns/swords are thrown up in the air and pikes with flags on them are used.   I cant wait until new things are thrown around in unison and coordination to great effect.  Drum corps is no longer a spectacle paying homage to the military and the American flag.... it has not been since the break with the VFW/ American Legion and the formation of DCI.  It has evolved since this break, and I predict, will continue to  evolve into greater and more spectacular musical, dance, and motion events by young adults and teenagers that defy belief.

Edited by brians
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, garfield said:

I agree.  But I also see a vacuum in the position of "leader" of performance competition.  Is there one?  Does the activity need avant-guard design, and according to whom?

Will there be, or is there now, design consistency that allows the participants to fluidly move from one idiom to another?  Stylistic consistency that doesn't require re-teaching of skills?

I'm not a professional musician, writer, arranger, or designer but I can't tell if the DCI product is being led by BOA/WGI or if it leads them. 

You will find the guiding leadership for DCI listed somewhere in here: https://www.dci.org/static/corporatepartners.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I believe the term "WGI-ification" has already been coined.  If not, there it is...……………………..

Someone call Webster

and on the 2020 Judging terms thread. Thank you.