Forget Woodwinds – Beware of WGI

28 minutes ago, garfield said:

Or behind the props, not in them.  Just "movers", dressed in field green or prop color, who stay behind the props and control their movement.

Or go bunraku style and have invisible stagehands working the scenery but visible puppeteers for all the "performers".

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Or go bunraku style and have invisible stagehands working the scenery but visible puppeteers for all the "performers".

That image reminds me of two things:

(1) There's a medium sized competing high school marching band a couple hours from here that in a couple seasons had two blind members on the field, complete with guides who marched behind them for the entire performance, but the staging was so well done that half the audience never even noticed.

(2) The Caballeros probably should have pushed their "chained" motif even farther in 2015, with extended drill in which two or more members were chained together, presented in such a way as to make the audience wonder how they were going to pull it off (similar in that respect to Cadets what did in 2011).

19 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

In another thread today, Jeff wrote:

"To be honest, woodwinds being added to DCI/DCA would cause me to seriously reconsider fandom. I go to band shows because I get paid to judge them, or if I am not working, to take my daughter to see mommy who is working them. otherwise, I don't go."

Since this is a thread about the possibility of adding woodwinds (whether ten years ago or next year), I'm curious how other people here would react if that happened.

So I just remembered this thread from last year, in which the following question was asked (edited slighly here for clarity):

"Why is it important for DCI to be more popular? It's not clear that's necessary for the public. If people who aren't interested in DCI enjoy other things, they're fine. They don't necessarily need an 'improved' DCI.

Staff and members might be better off if the fan base is expanded -- but not if that comes at the cost of alienating existing superfans."

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm not sure the question was phrased directly enough: is DCI popular enough right now? Does it *need* to be more popular?

On 8/23/2019 at 6:08 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

"To be honest, woodwinds being added to DCI/DCA would cause me to seriously reconsider fandom. I go to band shows because I get paid to judge them, or if I am not working, to take my daughter to see mommy who is working them. otherwise, I don't go."

Since this is a thread about the possibility of adding woodwinds (whether ten years ago or next year), I'm curious how other people here would react if that happened.

For me, the instrumentation makes the difference.  I spend thousands of dollars each year going to DCI shows, and a little more on FloMarching and media.  That all stops if (when) DCI adds woodwinds.  Not out of spite, but simply because I am not interested in that sound.

• Like 4

On 8/23/2019 at 5:08 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

That would be the end for me. 

• Like 1

Woodwinds? bahhh yesterdays news... what about strings???  Blue Devils won this year with an electronic violin....how about an electronic string ensemble??  (amplified  string base, cello, viola ?)  a marching string section,  yeah baby!!  Be sure to keep your interval or risk getting your eye poked out with a vigorously playing violin bow 

Edited by brians