Forget Woodwinds – Beware of WGI

17 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think it was because of buses.  Three buses  = 128?  I swear I remember hearing that somewhere.

In arranging trips, the seating for school busses is often 64, the seating for charter busses can range from 42-52. The seating of a school bus is based on the average size of a student, which is about the size of a 6th or 7th grader, so when you have a school trip for high school students, it is recommended one bus for every 48 students. However to your point, 64 + 64 = 128, and some corps did use school busses.

Just now, Tim K said:

In arranging trips, the seating for school busses is often 64, the seating for charter busses can range from 42-52. The seating of a school bus is based on the average size of a student, which is about the size of a 6th or 7th grader, so when you have a school trip for high school students, it is recommended one bus for every 48 students. However to your point, 64 + 64 = 128, and some corps did use school busses.

We were on school busses. 

• Like 1

In doing trip planning for the band, our charter buses were 55 seats. So we always tried to fill that last bus, but not need another. Going to 56 students on the last bus means needing another bus and kills the budget. The key to stuffing the last bus to capacity - early chaperone signups and taking as may as we could fit. Chaperones had to pay park entrance and bus cost as well. But by managing the final bus capacity, we were able to set a lower price than the previous years and make a small profit for the organization.

7 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

If DCI becomes like WGI, it's because the market and fans like it. Not this particular fan, but I also realize that I'm a sample size of one and I'm fine with hitting concerts instead of DCI shows.

I have to respectfully disagree with this.  I think it's become like it is because the judges are rewarding it. If the judges didn't reward a show where the hornline plays less than four minutes, then designers wouldn't design those shows. 

The activity will go wherever it goes, but I'm having a hard time remembering many shows in recent years where the audience was on its feet after the opening hit like Crown's Rach Star show, or ones where the standing ovation starts with 30 seconds left in the show. Bluecoats this year was the first time I can remember seeing that in a while.  I feel like most standing ovations today are out of politeness.

I'm sure this is not a new idea but I would like to see an effect judge involved whose back is to the field and they simply judge how apes**t the crowd goes.  If corps were rewarded for effect based on that I think you'd have a lot more entertainment value.  Have all the props you want, but get rewarded based on doing something cool with them rather than just them being there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, drpepper said:

I have to respectfully disagree with this.  I think it's become like it is because the judges are rewarding it. If the judges didn't reward a show where the hornline plays less than four minutes, then designers wouldn't design those shows. 

The activity will go wherever it goes, but I'm having a hard time remembering many shows in recent years where the audience was on its feet after the opening hit like Crown's Rach Star show, or ones where the standing ovation starts with 30 seconds left in the show. Bluecoats this year was the first time I can remember seeing that in a while.  I feel like most standing ovations today are out of politeness.

I'm sure this is not a new idea but I would like to see an effect judge involved whose back is to the field and they simply judge how apes**t the crowd goes.  If corps were rewarded for effect based on that I think you'd have a lot more entertainment value.  Have all the props you want, but get rewarded based on doing something cool with them rather than just them being there.

if fans didn't like these shows, they wouldn't pay to watch them

But designers and directors set the criteria that the judges use.

The activity will go wherever it goes, but I'm having a hard time remembering many shows in recent years where the audience was on its feet after the opening hit like Crown's Rach Star show, or ones where the standing ovation starts with 30 seconds left in the show.

Lots of people grumbled about various aspects of "Rach Star" at the time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if fans didn't like these shows, they wouldn't pay to watch them

Yes, but that doesn't mean they might not like something else more.

• Like 2

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, but that doesn't mean they might not like something else more.

fans vote with their wallet. attendance continues to show growth

Many if not most people will buy what they're told to buy without critical thought. Not making a value judgment about today's design but it's not accurate to say that because attendance is growing it means designers are simply providing what the public wants...

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 1