Forget Woodwinds – Beware of WGI

13 minutes ago, garfield said:

Many, many marching bands field more than the current 154 DCI allows.  If DCI is to align itself with "band" and its associated programs, then figuring out how to design well for 250, 300, 350 kids would be a useful challenge to the DCI designers.  And now, with A&E, who cares if the reeds are stuck in the rear corner?  With the turn of a dial, the fans can hear them as if they were standing on the front sideline.

I'm thinking "mosh pit" a MM from endzone to endzone.  😁

and many of those larger than 154 band units sit out large segments of their unit for part of the performance such as the high grade Texas h.s. bands. But DCI kids PAY many thousands of dollars to participate to perform, not sit out on the sidelines or behind a prop or even alternating which performance they individually will suit up for as in the case of several college and high school large bands.

As Fred mentioned on another thread, the number of quality seats for LOS are already maxed out. Otherwise folks are seated in the endzones (such as the special Hoosier or Age-Out seating DCI currently offers.)  Sell more tickets sounds nice for someone's bottom line, as if the bottom line was the only consideration in a competitive youth activity. I hold that there are other ethical issues to be considered beyond just the bottom line.

I also hold that for the length of its existence for almost 50 years, DCI "drum corps" has been something different from "just marching band in the summer."  Woodwinds blur that difference.

15 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Already been done.  See Allen HS, TX.  😶

Mike

I went to Guardians souvenir stand to meet eye to eye the fellow (a Guardian parent) who almost never expresses anything positive about whatever I may post. Thought I might make a New friend (pun.) Turns out souvie lady told me Mr. New skipped town two days before Championships.  Oh well. 

Edited by xandandl

37 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I went to Guardians souvenir stand to meet eye to eye the fellow (a Guardian parent) who almost never expresses anything positive about whatever I may post. Thought I might make a New friend (pun.) Turns out souvie lady told me Mr. New skipped town two days before Championships.  Oh well. 

Silly you.  The souvie lady IS Mr. New!

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

Um, great. Feel better now?  Carry on then.

Mike

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Maybe I have PTSD from the G7 days.  But when I look at that strategic plan, I notice two stark contrasts against the business plans DCI had developed ten years ago (just before G7).  One is the recurrence of topics like "new governance structure" and "enhanced member benefits".  The other is the removal of any consideration to growing the overall activity.  It seems as if they are losing their resolve about growing the pie, and are once again focusing only on making their own slices bigger.

you mean....gasp....trying not to let the inmates run the asylum is a bad idea for governance?

21 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

True.  But DCI is an unusual case.  BITD, the drum corps press (yes, there were actual newspapers like Drum Corps News, or Drum Corps World back before they went vanilla) would call out press releases that were exclusively rainbows and unicorns, and delve deeper with interviews and additional fact-finding.  Now, those endeavors are relegated to Internet forums.

By the way, was there ever a press release for 2018 attendance boasts?

Oh man... Drum Corps News!!!  It was like the Wild West at times.  LOL.  Lots of strong opinions voiced there. Fun to read.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Oh man... Drum Corps News!!!  It was like the Wild West at times.  LOL.  Lots of strong opinions voiced there. Fun to read.

Oh yeah, when any controversy was going on, go to the letters page first.... 40+ years later still remember “those tink tink marching bells” when they started being widely used.